• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cool places to live in Dallas?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was just in DFW for recurrent at FSI...and talking to one of the Program Managers about being an instructor. Housing prices there are outrageously good. Where I live, you can't touch a new, 2000 sq ft house for less than $280K. I was looking at houses in Arlington (about 10 min's to DFW) and it seemed everything was less than $200K. I saw one new, ready to move in over 3200 sq ft, 4 BR, 2.5 bath selling for $216K!!! And the subdivision was freaking pristine.

You'll do well living in Dallas, IMO. I'd look to buy instead of rent, though.

The housing prices in Texas are deceptive. I was looking at houses in San Antonio a while back and the prices seemed very reasonable. However, the property taxes are outrageous. A lot of areas were around 3% a year. So add about $540 a month to the mortgage on that $216K house for taxes.

If you want to live 3 feet from your neighbors on both sides, live in a matchbox house, have no yard, and double the crime rate, move to dallas. For the same money you spend in Dallas for a house with no yard on a zero lot line, you could get double that in fort worth. $250k in fort worth will get you a 3/4 acre and a 2500 sf house or 1/2 acre and 3500 sf. Depending on the area... However, if you ARE single, the guys mentioning Addison are correct. If I were single, I would live in Addison or possibly Coppell.

The housing prices in Texas are deceptive. I was looking at houses in San Antonio a while back and the prices seemed very reasonable. However, the property taxes are outrageous. A lot of areas were around 3% a year. So add about $540 a month to the mortgage on that $216K house for taxes.

Wow...thanks for the heads-up. I was only entertaining the FSI instructor gig as something for the far off future. But the property tax deal is good to know. But at least there's no state income tax!

Uptown-If your single this IS the place to be. Near downtown and everything going on. AA center is close for games and tons of nice places to eat/drink. Rent can be high put you pay for the location.

Downtown Dallas-It's OK but not much going on after 6pm. Rents are not bad and some very cool buildings for apartments. It's a short drive to Uptown or DFW reverse traffic in the am.

Addison-As others have said great place to be single. Post Addison circle is the place to be if you do move in the area. Addison has free wifi for people living in the city limits. Some 50 places to eat are within 5 miles of you. Easy access to the tollway so getting downtown Dallas takes 10-15 minutes no traffic.

Lower Greenville-Good area lot's going on but would be more of a pain to drive to DFW.

I am switching my base to Dallas. Just wondering if anybody can throw out the names of some areas I should look at for a cool place to rent (not interested in buying). I am late 20s, single, looking for an area with some action around. Closer to DFW and/or addison is a bonus... Any ideas for where I should narrow my search down to?

Dude look at the area in plano....LEGACY VILLAGE. Very very nice, not to expensive and lots to do, hot ladies around too!

Latest resources

Back