• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Contract Jobs.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't knock the white gloves man. I actually have become quite attached to mine.

White gloves forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, at least if you're wearing white gloves, you won't leave fingerprints when you feel compelled to TOUCH the EICAS screen! :rolleyes:

Anyone know what the BMI threshold is for the Japanese physicals? (Or, 'if you have to ask, you're too fat'...;) )TC

Well, at least if you're wearing white gloves, you won't leave fingerprints when you feel compelled to TOUCH the EICAS screen! :rolleyes:

Anyone know what the BMI threshold is for the Japanese physicals? (Or, 'if you have to ask, you're too fat'...;) )TC

AA, mine is 29 and I was told I was too fat.

Just want to relate a little story that I have heard from a very senior expat captain at KAL. Seems the Aloha guys are running into trouble on the 737 flying since they are still trying to fly the jet the way they did at Aloha. While I'm sure they are excellent pilots and can fly the poo poo out of the 737 that style of flying is not acceptable at Korean. I've said it before here and elsewhere, when you work for someone else you have to fly the jet the way they want you to, not the way your previous company did.

In this particular story it would appear a former Aloha captain was flying a very efficient approach with late stabilization ( below that required by Korean ). It probably would have worked out fine, but the first officer, knowing the consequences, took control and did a go-around.

Korean is very rigid in their procedures and you have to fly the jet within their tolerances. Some guys have no problem making the adjustment, others do. So again these kinds of things have an impact on which country will best suit you.

Typhoonpilot

Typoonpilot,

Any recommendations on who the good and not so good contractors are?

Also, is there anything with regards to contract work that a first timer might want to watch out for.

Also, is there anything with regards to contract work that a first timer might want to watch out for.
The contractor takes a certain percentage of the full salary from each pilot, the bad contractors will try to go down on pay or benefits as they see fit for subsequent pilots joining, my suggestion, if you don't have a reputable contract agency like PARC Aviation, do your best to get a copy of a contract for someone that is already working at the airline and compare.

What you don't want to do is arrive somewhere and later find out you are doing the same job as another guy on the property for less money and benefits, contract agencies will negotiate, do your homework.

Korean is very rigid in their procedures and you have to fly the jet within their tolerances.

Typhoonpilot

I guess so, with all their accidents in the past! :eek:

The typical failure rates for training in Asian companies is upwards of 40-50%, In a lot of cases it is because folks can't let go of procedures from their previous employer.
I'm not going to mention specific companies but out of the latest wave of interviews from the furloughed pool, just a handful of folks have passed the interview process. Quite a bit of folks failing both the sim and medical

With the exception of the Japanese, most Asian operators are testers, not trainers!

The typical failure rates for training in Asian companies is upwards of 40-50%, In a lot of cases it is because folks can't let go of procedures from their previous employer.
I'm not going to mention specific companies but out of the latest wave of interviews from the furloughed pool, just a handful of folks have passed the interview process. Quite a bit of folks failing both the sim and medical

3 quick questions for you;

What are some of the routes you guys (AJX/AJV) fly?

Do you do alot of DH'd? F/C/Y class?

Since they are hiring DECs, how long for an F/O to upgrade?

Sorry, thats 4.

Thanks

3 quick questions for you;

What are some of the routes you guys (AJX/AJV) fly?

Do you do alot of DH'd? F/C/Y class?

Since they are hiring DECs, how long for an F/O to upgrade?

Sorry, thats 4.

Thanks

AJV (cargo) mostly does China runs out off Kansai and Narita and they added a Singapore flight recently, On the USA flights they go to ANK and ORD but the latest is that the ORD flight will be done by another company under a wet lease and the will do mostly China flights and ANK.

AJX (passengers) we do DLC, CAN, PVG and HKG in China, SIN and HNL. adding another SIN and a Taipei next month

AJV does a lot of DH's since they operate from different bases and they are business class

AJX only does one DH on the return flight from HKG because it is returning to Haneda, not Narita and we are provided a taxi that takes us back to any destination you want in Narita (hotel, apartment, back to the airport)

The commute back and forth from home (In both companies) is done with your choice of $2000 commute allowance and ZED fairs or business class tickets. You can choose from month to month as long as you do it ahead of time

They are currently only hiring DEC's and F/O's at AJV (cargo) AJX is currently hiring F/O's and generally an opportunity for upgrade should come within your first contract, if not your second contract should be as a Captain.

Latest resources

Back