Contract Jobs.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ualexpress

I am currently a B-737NG Captain in the US with over 1100 hours in the left seat of the NG and with over 11,000 hours total time. With the death spiral the airlines are currently in and with no end in sight I am considering contract flying and have some questions.

I am 39, single, no kids. I sold my house last year so I don't even have a mortgage to worry about. So at this point I am not attached to anything and can go anywhere. I would prefer to do a non-commuting contract and live in base.

I can see by the contractor's websites that there are NG captain positions in China, Vietnam, Japan, and South Korea. If anybody has worked and lived in these countries I would like to hear your opinions on them. If you had to do over again would you take your current contract job? How is the flying? Are the planes well maintained? Living conditions? etc etc etc ..

Thanks

The answer to your question lies in yourself. Japan would not suit somebody who can't work in a very structured environment. China would probably not suit somebody who can't work in very unstructured environment. Korean would also lean to the more structured side, while Vietnam probably less so.

Of those, from a pure country perspective, I would probably go:

1) China
2) Vietnam
3) Korea
4) Japan

But that's me, and I speak Mandarin so China is a natural for me.

If it was a choice between Air China, Vietnam Airlines, Korean, or ANA/JAL my choice would be different. It would be:

1) Korean ( best commuting schedule )
2) Vietnam ( good schedule and reasonable work atmosphere )
3) ANA/JAL
4) Air China

So the specific company has a lot to do with the choice. I would work for Korean, but I doubt I would work for Asiana because the Korean contract is far superior to the Asiana contract.

Choose carefully and be certain of the total financial package. The best contract is not necessarily the one with the highest gross salary. One must carefully calculate big items such as tax and accommodation to see what is left at the end of the month. Overtime can also have a significant impact on total earning potential.

Typhoonpilot

Japan would not suit somebody who can't work in a very structured environment.

Hum??? Not sure what to make of that comment exactly, perhaps if you could expand on it please? because I am working for the ANA group and frankly, you lost me

Are the planes well maintained?

About maintenance I can tell you that I have been in the line since August of last year and finally this last rotation duty period, I took an airplane with a deferred Item on it (metric altimeter) the engineer apologized for making my work harder with a differed Item, the funny thing about it was that we weren't even going to China so we didn't need the metric altimeters anyway. I hope that answers your question about maintenance in Japan.

Also, do you want to keep flying the 73? AJV (Japan post express) is hiring DEC for the 767's and they will type you, if you want to go trough a marathon training of 9 months that is. but you will be paid your captain salary from the get go. AJX Air Japan (the passenger side) is not currently offering DEC's because they are upgrading current F/O's but they are also looking for F/O's

www.hawaiiaviation.com

If it was a choice between Air China, Vietnam Airlines, Korean, or ANA/JAL my choice would be different. It would be:

1) Korean ( best commuting schedule )
2) Vietnam ( good schedule and reasonable work atmosphere )
3) ANA/JAL
4) Air China

The ANA group just upgraded their commuting contract and I have been commuting business class from the States. About the reasonable working schedule of Vietnam Airlines is six weeks on and two weeks off. Our schedule is 18 days on and 12 off, a little bit more reasonable don't you think?

The ANA group just upgraded their commuting contract and I have been commuting business class from the States. About the reasonable working schedule of Vietnam Airlines is six weeks on and two weeks off. Our schedule is 18 days on and 12 off, a little bit more reasonable don't you think?
Sounds like a pretty good gig, only problem I have with Japan is the high cost of living, having to learn how to fly all over again, ala Japanese, wearing white gloves :rolleyes: . Vietnam Airlines has a month on, month off schedule available, sorry, no business class to the states yet.

How about this.......screw all the analysis. Put in a resume and IF they call you GO to the interview and IF if they hire you TAKE THE JOB.

eyeamthechosen1,

Point taken. Everyone has an analysis that usually just wind up cancelling each other out. So in the end you are left with the same as before you posed the question. Time to sh!t or get off the pot.

Sounds like a pretty good gig, only problem I have with Japan is the high cost of living, having to learn how to fly all over again, ala Japanese, wearing white gloves :rolleyes: .

Don't knock the white gloves man. I actually have become quite attached to mine.

White gloves forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest resources

Back