Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Continental scheduling.....gosh, why would you want to work here?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And you wonder why this profession is in the toilet?

"Yeah, sure, I'll GLADLY fly the 767 across the Atlantic for $50/hour! It's a big jet and I'm an international pilot!"

Get a clue, guys and gals.

If you think that is bad just wait. The last trip I flew was an IRO trip from CDG to EWR. The FO and I had flown together in a EMB-145. I commented how things had changed. Here we were 5 years later flying together over the Atlantic.

He then told me a story that shows how far we have fallen. He and another 1st year pilot were alone on the flight deck of a 777 close to the north pole. Combined they were making less then $60 dollars per hour. Also neither of them had health insurance.

Can you imagine the smile on the accountants face.

He and another 1st year pilot were alone on the flight deck of a 777 close to the north pole. Combined they were making less then $60 dollars per hour. Also neither of them had health insurance.

Well how about a major change within our union. APA is setting the bar on how a union should negotiate a contract. They have a strong leadership with a unified pilot group behind them.

A few years ago they made a change of their union leadership and look at them now. How about we make such a change starting with the EWR LEC election that is open today. It's time we fight the enemy, Continental Management.

CAL EWR LEC 170 Pilots vote for Baron/Cook/Riggs, its time we start acting like a real union not a good ole' boys social club!

www.jaysonbaron.info
www.taracook.info
www.kayeriggs.info

It's a hell of A LOT easier flying a big jet accross the Atlantic as opposed to flying 7 legger day with a low time wonder and then do it all over again after a short layover and a 5am wake up.

And that is why I moved on......enough of that 7 leg stuff.

If you think that is bad just wait. The last trip I flew was an IRO trip from CDG to EWR. The FO and I had flown together in a EMB-145. I commented how things had changed. Here we were 5 years later flying together over the Atlantic.

He then told me a story that shows how far we have fallen. He and another 1st year pilot were alone on the flight deck of a 777 close to the north pole. Combined they were making less then $60 dollars per hour. Also neither of them had health insurance.

People need to stop blaming management for that. If you want to see why they were flying 60NM from NPOLE and making $62/hr combined with no health insurance, wake up the captain and ask him how he voted on C02. I was flying a -400 across the pond from London and was in that same situation. And I didn't get mad at mgmt, I got mad at the people who put up with it.

On my last trip, a CA said, "I can't believe what they pay you guys."

I simply said, "They pay us what you voted for". Kind of a quiet cockpit after that, but the truth hurts. It seems like pilots are up in arms with reality even though they created that reality.

If every year took a $2/hr lower pay rate, the first year guys could make $50/hr. But no, "you're going to be on the 12 year scale longer than the 1st year scale." While that is true, I'm tired of people making excuses for "mgmt is screwing the first year guys".

It's not mgmts fault. They are playing the game, and doing it well. Unfortunately, like UAL voting away scope for their A-Fund (which went away anyways), pilots are our own worst enemy.

Last edited:

I simply said, "They pay us what you voted for". Kind of a quiet cockpit after that, but the truth hurts.

excellent point. keep reminding the yes voters as often as possible.

Jumppilot and Palomino,

As much as I'd like to rewrite past history we can't, so all we can do is move forward. If I didn't believe our pilots were ready to fight CAL Management for a real contract, I wouldn't be waisting my time running for EWR CA Rep.

How about we take all of those who don't care or will not fight along for a ride? What I mean, we are going to get a great contract with or without them. After 21 years I am sick and tired of placating to the lower expectations of other bases. It's time the rest of the bases come up to our (EWR) expectations. We have 1500 new pilots here at CAL how about we build some old fashioned leverage and practice old fashioned leveraged bargaining?

Have you guys voted yet?

www.jaysonbaron.info
www.taracook.info
www.kayeriggs.info

Last edited:

Not as big a smile knowing NJ unemployment was a pay raise for us first year FOs...:angryfire

People need to stop blaming management for that. If you want to see why they were flying 60NM from NPOLE and making $62/hr combined with no health insurance, wake up the captain and ask him how he voted on C02. I was flying a -400 across the pond from London and was in that same situation. And I didn't get mad at mgmt, I got mad at the people who put up with it.

I simply said, "They pay us what you voted for". Kind of a quiet cockpit after that, but the truth hurts. It seems like pilots are up in arms with reality even though they created that reality.

I know many are not going to like this. And I KNOW that it pays off in the long run, sort of, we all hope.

But you could ALSO blame the guys that showed up to do the job for $62/hr combined.

NO, I'M NOT FLAMING YOU, or anybody else. We pilots are our own worst enemies. Been that way for a while, gonna be that way in the future.

Latest resources

Back