Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Continental pilots/post merger.....ALPA pins?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We not only have a problem at CAL with pilots that don't wear the pin, but too many that do wear the pin, wear it incorrectly. It doesn't go 2 inches from the bottom. It goes a bit North of the halfway point so it can be seen when your coat is buttoned. We have a lot of complete slobs here. Sad thing is that many of the slobs now want to lose the hats, coats etc. in favor of even more casual uniforms now that we are going through a uniform change.

I understand AA had, or used to have, a "pinning" ceremony where new hires were proudly awarded their wings. I also heard that this was done with a bit of fanfare, in front of static display of a DC-3 hearkening back to the days of those who built this profession. Wives, children, and significant others were invited, dressed up for the occasion. A light lunch followed.

Compare this to CAL which "awarded" their wings by putting them on the empty desks in a flip-lock sandwich baggie while the class was out on a piss break on the fourth morning of new hire indoc. Came back from relieving ourselves and we couldn't have been prouder.

Two corporate cultures, two pilots groups, two messages. When you walk through the airport, this is what you're seeing. When your vector is that far off, that early in the flight, it's hard to end up in the right place.

I digress. Just wear the damn alpa pin, and wear it in the right place on the tie.

I totally agree.

Last edited:
Sounds like managements degradation of the professional image has been accepted well over at CAL (as well as the rest of the pilot cadre)....and the pilots have bought into..... seems pay has degredated too....

Sure it is easy, fun and comfortable to relax uniform standards....

from an outsider.... the CAL embroidered wings have a negative image.... hopefully they will get lost in the merger.....

Also, the Army of One rant from the CAL pilot that was put out a few years..... seems to contribute to the individualism seen on this thread....

Uh, hold on there bud. The uniform standards are what they are at CAL for certain reasons. The group has been rode hard and put up wet for too many years. As you said, you're an "outsider" so let me get you up to speed. The work rules have been so bad, for so long, mgt has come to realize they can't police the uniform too close. You can't clean a uniform that you don't hardly ever remove! I'm not kidding. Look at the flight attendants. They're as ugly as home made soap! (true at almost all airlines today) No wonder; If they aren't flying they're asleep. That's all they have time for. The real tragedy in all this is that too many guys like you are happy to take up Mgt's sword and lash out at your fellow pilots over a uniform issue. While your head is up and locked and you ignore the larger truth. Absent a certain pay/time off metric, you aren't going to have a pilot group that looks like they came out of Hollywood's central casting.

Additionally, and I don't think any of you could possibly understand this without being at CAL and understanding the history, we have a lot of ALPA martyrs. That's a big deal. Too many of the pilots screwed over by ALPA have ended up at CAL. It's hard for some guys to put the ALPA pin on and if any of you really cared to find out why I think you might understand. I wear mine, but certain pilots' slick ties don't bother me.

Anybody recall what CAL was like prior to Lorenzo? The "proud bird with the golden tail". I'd put CAL's pre Lorenzo image/brand/culture up against any in history anywhere if the world. It was a fine airline and a great place to be a pilot. So what's the difference now? BS pay, terrible work rules, and a dispicable management culture.

Wings or no wings. Pins or no pins. We just need to drop a few damn pounds and shine our shoes, that is if we have real shoes to shine. If we have tire tread clod hoppers we should ditch em for a real pair, and them shine em. We'll be good to go, the rest is just politics.

Last edited:
I understand AA had, or used to have, a "pinning" ceremony where new hires were proudly awarded their wings. I also heard that this was done with a bit of fanfare, in front of static display of a DC-3 hearkening back to the days of those who built this profession. Wives, children, and significant others were invited, dressed up for the occasion. A light lunch followed.

Compare this to CAL which "awarded" their wings by putting them on the empty desks in a flip-lock sandwich baggie while the class was out on a piss break on the fourth morning of new hire indoc. Came back from relieving ourselves and we couldn't have been prouder.

Two corporate cultures, two pilots groups, two messages. When you walk through the airport, this is what you're seeing. When your vector is that far off, that early in the flight, it's hard to end up in the right place.

I totally agree.

UAL also has a special wings presentation ceremony held under the "Tribute to Elrey Jeppesen" sculpture at DIA airport. A retired UAL captain presents each new hire, their wings (shirt and coat) and cap emblem in a well appointed display case. The ceremony was capped with individual and group photo moments for remembering the occasion. I expect this culture to prevail...

A retired UAL captain presents each new hire, their wings (shirt and coat) and cap emblem in a well appointed display case.

I would be concerned about the sort of retired Captain you'd have on hand these days. Guy would hold the wings like a dagger and stab the new hire in the back....

The CEO came down to the training center, handed out the wings, shook hands, and gave a short speech with a Q&A when I was hired at CAL a few years ago.

Wings or no wings. Pins or no pins. We just need to drop a few damn pounds and shine our shoes, that is if we have real shoes to shine. If we have tire tread clod hoppers we should ditch em for a real pair, and them shine em. We'll be good to go, the rest is just politics.

I agree, too many fat pilots, looks very un-professional. They should have us weigh in once a month.

I have no problem with that, then again I don't stuff my face every night with ice cream & cheese cakes.

The CEO came down to the training center, handed out the wings, shook hands, and gave a short speech with a Q&A when I was hired at CAL a few years ago.
My Q&A wit glenn T didn't go too well in my recall class a few years ago...I think he was rather pissed when he left the room...

Latest resources

Back