Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Continental pilots/post merger.....ALPA pins?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've gathered that from some of your posts. I'm still curious how you'll feel about wearing the pin despite it all after CAL gets a fair shake in the arbitrated award and Prater doesn't grant you all the fancy colored committees.

Doesn't matter, you know who to call.

Same answer as before. I'll wear the pin until (if/when) ALPA no longer represents me.

The problem is, you've got it all backwards. The ALPA pin is part of your basic uniform, while the slick tie is the flair, loudly proclaiming to your fellow pilots that you're a scab, management sycophant, just don't give a rat's a$$ or some combination of the above, while simultaneously proclaiming to mgt that you don't support your fellow pilots or union and will probably vote yes on whatever POS they send your way.

Wearing the ALPA pin has nothing to do with how you feel about your union or your fellow pilots. It has everything to do with the PERCEPTION of how you feel. That is why myself, and many other unionist pilots, will look at the tie of the guy approaching in the terminal, then look away in disgust if it is slick, or smile and give the nod if union pin is present. Andre Agassi said it best, "Image is everything!"

Good post. We not only have a problem at CAL with pilots that don't wear the pin, but too many that do wear the pin, wear it incorrectly. It doesn't go 2 inches from the bottom. It goes a bit North of the halfway point so it can be seen when your coat is buttoned. We have a lot of complete slobs here. Sad thing is that many of the slobs now want to lose the hats, coats etc. in favor of even more casual uniforms now that we are going through a uniform change. Sad, just sad. I encourage any CAL pilot to visit Tarpy Tailors in LAX right across from the In-N-Out Burger. Captain Tarpy was one of the first 30 pilots hired at CAL and founded the uniform company that, to this day; hand makes the uniforms right here in the U.S.A. Take a look at the collection of CAL wings and uniforms from years past. Did you know CAL pilots wore double breasted blazers for years? 747 captains had an extra stripe as well. Do you think the pilots of the 60-70's would appreciate the way many of our pilots carry themselves at work today? I see way too many cheap "Summer" pants worn by overweight pilots that are more suited to someone working on a toilet or a sink(my apologies to all the fine plumbers out there). I digress. Just wear the damn alpa pin, and wear it in the right place on the tie.

The problem is, you've got it all backwards. The ALPA pin is part of your basic uniform, while the slick tie is the flair, loudly proclaiming to your fellow pilots that you're a scab, management sycophant, just don't give a rat's a$$ or some combination of the above, while simultaneously proclaiming to mgt that you don't support your fellow pilots or union and will probably vote yes on whatever POS they send your way.

Wearing the ALPA pin has nothing to do with how you feel about your union or your fellow pilots. It has everything to do with the PERCEPTION of how you feel. That is why myself, and many other unionist pilots, will look at the tie of the guy approaching in the terminal, then look away in disgust if it is slick, or smile and give the nod if union pin is present. Andre Agassi said it best, "Image is everything!"

Fantastic post, right on the money!!

How long do we hold on to old history?

That is a pretty sad statement that the old guys aren't equipped to help out.... if not them, then who?

How long? Forever.....

Did you see the ATA interview article with Captain Babitt from July (I think)? He insists in the article that flight and duty time should only be changed in a way that doesn"t require more pilots?! Captain Prater can't change it in a efficient manner but somehow managed to get the retirement age changed instantly, the middle of the night. Look at how ALPA helped these guys throughout their carrers and compare that with what they are doing now. I know Randy is a politition now, but come on! He's not confused about safety; He wouldn't want to fly these schedules we are. ALPA's problem is generational. When the baby boomers have moved on we'll be better off. Worst group of Americans ever. It's not just aviation.

You nailed it with this post! I agree completely!
Good post. We not only have a problem at CAL with pilots that don't wear the pin, but too many that do wear the pin, wear it incorrectly. It doesn't go 2 inches from the bottom. It goes a bit North of the halfway point so it can be seen when your coat is buttoned. We have a lot of complete slobs here. Sad thing is that many of the slobs now want to lose the hats, coats etc. in favor of even more casual uniforms now that we are going through a uniform change. Sad, just sad. I encourage any CAL pilot to visit Tarpy Tailors in LAX right across from the In-N-Out Burger. Captain Tarpy was one of the first 30 pilots hired at CAL and founded the uniform company that, to this day; hand makes the uniforms right here in the U.S.A. Take a look at the collection of CAL wings and uniforms from years past. Did you know CAL pilots wore double breasted blazers for years? 747 captains had an extra stripe as well. Do you think the pilots of the 60-70's would appreciate the way many of our pilots carry themselves at work today? I see way too many cheap "Summer" pants worn by overweight pilots that are more suited to someone working on a toilet or a sink(my apologies to all the fine plumbers out there). I digress. Just wear the damn alpa pin, and wear it in the right place on the tie.

Sounds like managements degradation of the professional image has been accepted well over at CAL (as well as the rest of the pilot cadre)....and the pilots have bought into..... seems pay has degredated too....

Sure it is easy, fun and comfortable to relax uniform standards....

from an outsider.... the CAL embroidered wings have a negative image.... hopefully they will get lost in the merger.....

Also, the Army of One rant from the CAL pilot that was put out a few years..... seems to contribute to the individualism seen on this thread....

So the way you distinguish yourself is to not distinguish yourself. The loner, the independent, the inscrutable.

Speaks just as loudly as someone who distinguishes themselves with a haircut, the clothing, the pin. Both are choices and both speak equally distinctly.
choosing not to chose is still a choice

Originally Posted by densoo
So the way you distinguish yourself is to not distinguish yourself. The loner, the independent, the inscrutable.

Speaks just as loudly as someone who distinguishes themselves with a haircut, the clothing, the pin. Both are choices and both speak equally distinctly.

choosing not to chose is still a choice

Perhaps my post wasn't clear enough. Your post summarizes exactly what I was trying to say. "Both are choices and speak equally distinctly"--a blank tie is as loud as a pinned one and everyone understands your position from it.

Perhaps my post wasn't clear enough. Your post summarizes exactly what I was trying to say. "Both are choices and speak equally distinctly"--a blank tie is as loud as a pinned one and everyone understands your position from it.

agreed!

Sounds like managements degradation of the professional image has been accepted well over at CAL (as well as the rest of the pilot cadre)....and the pilots have bought into..... seems pay has degredated too....

Sure it is easy, fun and comfortable to relax uniform standards....

from an outsider.... the CAL embroidered wings have a negative image.... hopefully they will get lost in the merger.....

Also, the Army of One rant from the CAL pilot that was put out a few years..... seems to contribute to the individualism seen on this thread....

I agree the embroidered wings aren't all that hot. I, and most other FO's wear the metal wings. Unlike several other carriers, we have to wear wings all year long on our shirts and on our blazers as well in the Winter(or on any Intl. trip excluding Mexico/Central America). I don't mind the embroidered wings for winter when you have to wear the blazer with wings all the time anyway but I still don't order shirts with the wings embroidered as I refuse to wear them in the Summer when they will be showing. Didn't NWA wear no wings in the Summer? How about AA. I see AA guys with no wings in the Summer. I know Delta wears them year round.

Latest resources

Back