Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

1x1

Hello,

Thinking about applying to CAL. I have found all kinds of good info, but I can't seem to find info on training guarantees, hotel accomodations, time between training and IOE, and also I would actually want EWR, so how long could I expect reserve to last?

Thanks for your considered responses.

You get your hourly rate at min report I believe for each day you show up for an event plus continous per diem while you are in IAH as everyone gets EWR as a first base. It will be more than your first few months pay checks while on reserve. Hotel is paid for while in IAH and any other city you travel to for simulator training should you have to use another sim. Reserve on the 737 in EWR is between nothing and 6 months I believe. Hope that helps.

what he said.

And if you want EWR you are just gonna have to wait in ine with everybody else.:nuts:

1) 72 hr monthly guarantee i.e. 2.4/day 7 days a week once training begins until QLOE (type ride) paid at $30.57 /hr.

2) $44 per day; starts 1st day til QLOE.

3) Marriott or La Quinta (CAL pays)

4) 6-7 weeks of grnd/ftd/sim school 2 days off b/t school house blocks (sometimes get a block of 6 after INDOC).

5) Get a $750 advance check first week; Paid on the 15th. It's the prior month's work minus $750 advance on the 1st.

Ex: First day of class starts on the 15th. You get $750 in a couple of days via direct deposit. On the 1st you get another $750. Then on the 15th you get 16 days X 2.4 hrs (or 17 days in a 31 day month) = $1173.89 Plus per diem of $44 X 16 = $704
Total = $1877.89 - $750 = $1127.89 (minus deductions & taxes).

Soooo on a Nov 15th class date...
1st = $750 (no tax/deduct.)
15th= $1127.89 (minus tax/deduct.)

Sooo on a Nov 1st class date...
1st = $750
2nd = $2771.04 <$3521.04 - $750> [$1320 Per diem +$2201.04 (72 X 2.4)]

6) EWR 737 Reserve for a min 1 month to a max of 3 months depending on how soon you get hired before summer slow down if there is one.

Good luck with your decision and dont let the nay sayers keep you from going to a major because of horrible 1st yr pay, no health insurance for 6 mnths, and a sub par contract. Although this should not have ever happened, it is what it is now. We will move forward and our new MEC will negotiate superior work rules and pay for a dedicated pilot group under a solid company!

Hope this helps!! Good luck!!!!

Last edited:
1) 72 hr monthly guarantee i.e. 2.4/day 7 days a week once training begins until QLOE (type ride) paid at $30.57 /hr.

2) $44 per day; starts 1st day til QLOE.

3) Marriott or La Quinta (CAL pays)

4) 6-7 weeks of grnd/ftd/sim school 2 days off b/t school house blocks (sometimes get a block of 6 after INDOC).

5) Get a $750 advance check first week; Paid on the 15th. It's the prior month's work minus $750 advance on the 1st.

Ex: First day of class starts on the 15th. You get $750 in a couple of days via direct deposit. On the 1st you get another $750. Then on the 15th you get 16 days X 2.4 hrs (or 17 days in a 31 day month) = $1173.89 Plus per diem of $44 X 16 = $704
Total = $1877.89 - $750 = $1127.89 (minus deductions & taxes).

Soooo on a Nov 15th class date...
1st = $750 (no tax/deduct.)
15th= $1127.89 (minus tax/deduct.)

Sooo on a Nov 1st class date...
1st = $750
2nd = $2771.04 <$3521.04 - $750> [$1320 Per diem +$2201.04 (72 X 2.4)]

6) EWR 737 Reserve for a min 1 month to a max of 3 months depending on how soon you get hired before summer slow down if there is one.

Good luck with your decision and dont let the nay sayers keep you from going to a major because of horrible 1st yr pay, no health insurance for 6 mnths, and a sub par contract. Although this should not have ever happened, it is what it is now. We will move forward and our new MEC will negotiate superior work rules and pay for a dedicated pilot group under a solid company!

Hope this helps!! Good luck!!!!

Wow, I knew it was bad at CAL, but not THAT bad.

Holy cow, CAL! LOL

I would never lower myself to working for those conditions. Sorry, but it's true. Give me a better contract and I might consider working there.

I have heard that CAL big wigs are telling new hires to recommend anyone that they know, because they WILL get an interview. I think they are having a hard time getting people to work there.

Can you imagine why? LOL

Wow, I knew it was bad at CAL, but not THAT bad.

I have heard that CAL big wigs are telling new hires to recommend anyone that they know, because they WILL get an interview. I think they are having a hard time getting people to work there.

Can you imagine why? LOL

Yeah, those 15,000 apps they have are from people that really don't want to work here. I'm sure glad you busted that interview or the sim, whichever it was. Probably both, looking are your level of intellect.

First of all, Pocono, I'm not sure if I know you or not, but you really should just move on. I think working at CAL is probably pretty good, despite the deplorable first year pay and insurance problems. I'm sure that these things will be fixed in the coming couple of years. As far as ATR's comments. Please don't think you guys are the only gig in town. Those same 15000 apps are in at every other airline out there, and I would venture to say that many are no longer valid or are seriously lacking in qualifications. My current employer says the same thing about the number of applicants, and yet only 10-15% of the people they want are turning up for interviews. Just another sign of the pilot shortage which is well underway. Where is pilotyip when you need him.

box

First of all, Pocono, I'm not sure if I know you or not, but you really should just move on. I think working at CAL is probably pretty good, despite the deplorable first year pay and insurance problems. I'm sure that these things will be fixed in the coming couple of years. As far as ATR's comments. Please don't think you guys are the only gig in town. Those same 15000 apps are in at every other airline out there, and I would venture to say that many are no longer valid or are seriously lacking in qualifications. My current employer says the same thing about the number of applicants, and yet only 10-15% of the people they want are turning up for interviews. Just another sign of the pilot shortage which is well underway. Where is pilotyip when you need him.

box

There is no pilot shortage at the major level, and most likely never will be. The average new hire at cal is around 6500-7000 hours with 2000+ turbine 121.

SO, poc-a-hole, you might soon meet minimums.

Latest resources

Back