FedEx $56
Delta $49
American $35
UPS $33
United $32
Continental $31
Northwest $30
UsAirways $25

If you ask me, with the exception of FedEx, all these first year pay rates suck! While I don't approve of these first year rates (most obtained through concessionary agreements) , I think most people can see past year one and look toward the 12 year rates. Your not working for year one rates, your working for what the job will pay at year 25.

On another note, back in the day people scoffed at the Southwest pilots because the earned less than their peers. As we all know now, they are the highest paid narrow body pilots in the country. I'm sure some buffoon said, "I'm not working for those guys, low pay, no retirement......"

Hello,

Thinking about applying to CAL. I have found all kinds of good info, but I can't seem to find info on training guarantees, hotel accomodations, time between training and IOE, and also I would actually want EWR, so how long could I expect reserve to last?

Thanks for your considered responses.

While you are just thinking about applying to CAL, you might want to consider that unless you have a really good internal rec with a signoff by a CP, you will wait years to get an interview.

Wow, I knew it was bad at CAL, but not THAT bad.

Have you been sleeping since September 11th? Maybe you were still in high school or school getting your ratings. Let me sum it up. Most Legacy carriers went into bankruptcy, and/ or forced their employees to massive pay cuts to avoid it. It's bad everywhere. The tide is shifting now and it's time to repay those who sacrificed.

Holy cow, CAL! LOL

Laugh? Not me. I'm on the inside fighting for a change for the better. Some people like the sidelines, and will come into game when it's under control. I'm involved in Union activities trying to make a difference and restore what this profession once meant.

I would never lower myself to working for those conditions. Sorry, but it's true. Give me a better contract and I might consider working there.

Good for you and your upstanding ethics and morals. I think your ship has already sailed on Continental. If you do end up on the property at another legacy carrier, your going to endure the same concessionary agreements that everyone else has. There is no utopia at any legacy right now.

I have heard that CAL big wigs are telling new hires to recommend anyone that they know, because they WILL get an interview. I think they are having a hard time getting people to work there.

Hate to hurt your fragile ego on this one, but there are more than a few people willing to work for Continental. Seems everyone is showing up to class. There is no shortage. Just as there is no shortage at UAL, NW, and even US Airways. You really need to let this bitterness go. You are convincing no one. Good luck in your career.

Holy cow, CAL! LOL

I would never lower myself to working for those conditions. Sorry, but it's true. Give me a better contract and I might consider working there.

I have heard that CAL big wigs are telling new hires to recommend anyone that they know, because they WILL get an interview. I think they are having a hard time getting people to work there.

Can you imagine why? LOL

Hey Pockey hole...howz your felony record doin? I'm sorry CAL doesnt hire criminals...you might of had a chance! {Insert serious sarcasm} Idiot!

Mr. Darby, is that you?

You may not be seeing it just yet in the US, but believe me it is coming. The only thing that will slow it down is a recession. When airlines in China are paying $50K US to buy out training bonds in order to snipe pilots away from another carrier, then there is a shortage. When I receive emails offering $140K US/yr to fly an E145 in India, then there is a shortage. When EK is touring around the world in other airlines back yards in order to drum up recruits, there is a shortage. It may not have worked it's way to the US majors just yet, but give it some time. Write back to me in four years if this isn't the case and I will gladly agree with you. :)

box

Holy cow, CAL! LOL

Can you imagine why? LOL

Don't forget NO MEDICAL INSURANCE for 6 MONTHS!!!! On top of that Prater (ALPA PRESIDENT) is a CAL Captain. Goes to show how much he cares! or how powerless ALPA is. S*IT pay, no bennies to be a part of a LEGACY Major airline that the president of ALPA is a part of!!

Shameful!

Last edited:
Posted on 2/24/07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono Pilot
I agree.

With all the retirements, CAL could be the most secure major out there. Also, there is a good chance that CAL will be the highest paid eventually with a new contract.

I hope to be there soon.

Need we say more? Pocono is an XJT pilot that failed initial upgrade twice, failed in the interview at CAL, and is now bitter about it. It is sad. It is almost as sad as watching a newborn kitty get run over in the street by an 18 wheeler. Almost...

What is really sad is despite the blatantly obvious flame-baiting from Pocono, how many hit the lure trying to rip the pole into the water.

Recruiter: Hello Jon Doe, based on the fact that you did well in your interview and paid your dues flying for crap wages, work rules and bennies at the regionals for so long, we would like to offer you a job at CAL. Would you be interested?

Jon: Why yes sir!! I am glad to take the job. (tells himself: WOW, I made it to the MAJORS!!)

Recruiter: Keep in mind since you have worked so hard at your previous regional carriers with little rewards we will p!ss on you a little more and base you in EWR at $30.00/hr and no medical for you and your family.

WELCOME ABOARD SON!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back