Conscientious Objector

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Rez,

In WWII the bomber pilots were told.... 'you are going to be baby killers'..... at least they weren't American babies....right!

Were they told this before or after learning that the life expectancy of a bomber pilot in Europe was well below 25 missions and that a large percentage of them would be buried in the European countryside at 200mph?

Right after 9/11 the press was going nuts over the military flying CAP over US cities.. they [the press] loved it. And it seemed the PR officers for these squadrons were right out of press school.... I like the fighter jock interviewed as he preflighted his jet..... "I wouldn't like it...but yeah, I'd shoot down a US airliner". Sh!t hot dude! only four more to go!

Did you ever think that some of those pilots have friends that fly for the airlines? Did you ever think that the fighter jock you so easily scoff at might have to shoot down an airliner with a good friend on board, then go an explain to his friends widow and kids what he did?

It's black and white baby! Clear cut decisions with no grey! Rock on!

Yes, there is something black and white here and it's not what you think.

Your attempt at humor, flame bait or whatever it was has set an extraordinarily low bar.

Biff

Last edited:
In WWII the bomber pilots were told.... 'you are going to be baby killers'..... at least they weren't American babies....right!

Right after 9/11 the press was going nuts over the military flying CAP over US cities.. they [the press] loved it. And it seemed the PR officers for these squadrons were right out of press school.... I like the fighter jock interviewed as he preflighted his jet..... "I wouldn't like it...but yeah, I'd shoot down a US airliner". Sh!t hot dude! only four more to go!

Then there was the tanker pilot who said flying airliners.... "pretty much bus driver kind of stuff. You take off, you land, it's all automated." As for tankers, "you won't get this kind of fun flying anywhere else."

It's black and white baby! Clear cut decisions with no grey! Rock on!

Wow Rez - I used to be mildly amused by your antics on the military board and our bickering back and forth. Whatever right, it was all fun and games. This BS is an all time low. This confirms I've got absolutely nothing for you dude. I did more months of Noble Eagle than I know what to do with. 5 to 6 hour vuls over DC, Camp David, etc...protecting the POTUS and our capitol. Do you think I enjoyed taking off with live missles and loaded gun? Are you f'in kidding me man? The thought of shooting down innocent people on airliner makes anyone's gut sick and it's something I never thought I'd be tasked to do when I signed the dotted line. However, if it saved thousands of other lives, then you're damn right - I'm going to do exactly what I'm told to do by our leadership. That's a decision that you'll never deal with.

What in the hell is your deal with military pilots anyway? Did you get burned in the past? Your above post not only ruined your credibility in my book, but I'll garauntee you it ruined your credibility in many other military flyer's books as well. Very poor taste and poor form man...

I met a -135 driver that got a discharge from the AF on the basis of being a "conscientious objector." Funny thing was it wasn't even in a time of war. I don't know what the hell a tanker pilot has to object to but he did it.

I met a -135 driver that got a discharge from the AF on the basis of being a "conscientious objector." Funny thing was it wasn't even in a time of war. I don't know what the hell a tanker pilot has to object to but he did it.

I love it when people suddenly "decide" they are a CO. What, did they not know what the military was all about when they initially signed up?

I don't think being a tanker pilot had anything to do with it. I wonder if the airlines were hiring at the time he became a CO?

My original question was sparked from hearing an story on NPR about a military officer (probably the same one mentioned on here) speaking out against the Bush Administration regarding the Iraq war. While I happen to agree with what the officer said, I don't agree with how he went about it. You don't air dirty laundry in public. He should have gone through proper channels. But what I am getting from the replies on this thread is that there are no proper channels. The take home message seems to be that you had better be prepared to do some things that you don't believe in if you join up.

My original question was sparked from hearing an story on NPR about a military officer (probably the same one mentioned on here) speaking out against the Bush Administration regarding the Iraq war. While I happen to agree with what the officer said, I don't agree with how he went about it. You don't air dirty laundry in public. He should have gone through proper channels. But what I am getting from the replies on this thread is that there are no proper channels. The take home message seems to be that you had better be prepared to do some things that you don't believe in if you join up.

Hoover,
Everyone disagrees with something while they are in. To think otherwise would be folly. If you disagree with a policy, whether it's at the local squadron level or at the national level that's your prerogative. At the local level discuss it with your boss. Either he / she will change their mind / policy or they won't. That is the COMMANDERS choice. Either way when you leave it's a done deal and you go with what your boss decided. At the national level military members are represented by their leadership. They do the same thing at their respective levels with the same outcome.
If you choose as a military member not to follow those rules and speak out publicly you undermine the commander or commanders and that is not allowed. For those who have never served this is a fundamental difference between mil and civil affairs. You absolutely cannot have someone undermining the leadership (while during peace or at war) as it will cause a breakdown in the chain of command. This is simple and every military officer knows this (BECAUSE THEY ARE TAUGHT IT).
To answer your question, yes, there is a way to "go against policy".

"But what I am getting from the replies on this thread is that there are no proper channels."

There are proper channels to register your concerns. On a bumper sticker they boil down to going through the chain of command, or alternatively going to the IG if you think regulations or laws are being violated.

If either of those methods don't give our hypothetical officer the answer he or she wanted to hear then our concerned officer has only two choices:

1) comply.

2) resign. If his or her resignation is refused (perhaps because they are under a service commitment) then this officer must either comply with orders or refuse to comply and accept the consequences like a man/woman.

That's the proper proceedure.

The take home message seems to be that you had better be prepared to do some things that you don't believe in if you join up.

Ultimately, yes.

As an additional take home message please notice JimNtexas' post: Go to the IG if you think laws or regs are being violated. It's not "my way or the highway." There are checks and balances.

By the way, good on ya for takin' some heat, my own included, and coming back with a calm, levelheaded clarification of your question.

I am glad to hear that there is a way for having your concerns met, or at least addressed. I've always believed that an honest question deserves an honest answer, but recognize that the honest answer may not be one you like to hear. Thanks for the replies.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back