• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Compass to Seperate from DAL MEC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
LOA 2006-10 might have been negotiated in 2006, but we had not seen anything in writing until July of 2007. Yes we were given a brief update on contract negotiations up to July of 2007 but we did not see details until it was signed and printed. As for your comment about the flow, Compass was not created based on flow it was created base on providing jobs to the NWA furloughed pilots.

I too started at Compass prior to the CPZ ALPA contract signing. Before making the decision to leave my job as a Captain at Trans States, I read up on the flow. NWA LOAs 2006-10 and 14 are in the NWA ALPA contract, not the Compass contract, and were available to read since late 2006. The section about the flow up/dn in our contract is based on those LOAs. You're right that Compass was created to provide jobs to current and future furloughed NWA pilots which is what I meant by "flow".

Last edited:
So that's your aspirations.....

Whats the difference between RAH, Mesa and Colgan etc....that fly for more than one airline.

So that's your goal? To be like RAH, Mesa, or Colgan......

God help us, I was hoping that GEN X or GEN Y would see how they are being played, but apparently I've got to re-establish my expectations for the pilot profession.

IFLYIMC: What is your personal career goal as a pilot? (besides being IMC)

Hi!

THis seems shortsighted to me. It seems the opposite of scope...it seems that DAL wants Compass separate, and then they lose jobs to a separate entity and DAL mgmt gets to play DAL pilots off against another lower-paying company that is flying DAL pax.

To me, the next logical step would be to spin off the DC-9/MD-80/MD-90 guys into a separate MEC and separate airline also.

Why is this a good idea for DAL/Compass pilots? It seems like it is worse for both.

cliff
NBO

It is a bad idea for both. I does make sense on the representational side of the issue., the same mec representing mainline and regional who have competing interests. However, I think that this opens the door and paves the way for CPS to get spun off. You are correct that the DAL pilot contract provides for the flow, however should cps be spun off that could easily be amended by LOA...especially given the track record on scope that the current MEC has under Moak. This first step makes the other steps easier and more likely. If you are not in favor of the flow and are at Cps currently then you have the option of "opting" out and choosing the Cps career path, keeping your seniority/seat and your job in the event of a flow down. I believe that this option is available to 10% of the Cps list, what's wrong with letting the other 90% flow up when thier time comes? NOTHING.

It is a bad idea for both. I does make sense on the representational side of the issue., the same mec representing mainline and regional who have competing interests. However, I think that this opens the door and paves the way for CPS to get spun off. You are correct that the DAL pilot contract provides for the flow, however should cps be spun off that could easily be amended by LOA...especially given the track record on scope that the current MEC has under Moak. This first step makes the other steps easier and more likely. If you are not in favor of the flow and are at Cps currently then you have the option of "opting" out and choosing the Cps career path, keeping your seniority/seat and your job in the event of a flow down. I believe that this option is available to 10% of the Cps list, what's wrong with letting the other 90% flow up when thier time comes? NOTHING.

You must not talk to DL pilots much. they will tell you that you don't become a DL pilot, you're born a DL pilot, this after the 10 minute speech about how they just had the hardest final of all time even though its 10 miles, clear, and no wind, the real reaon though is they were turned for final inside of 80 miles

How about an in-house union that represents the interests of 12,000 Delta pilots without the conflict of interest associated with representing mainline and regional pilots.

Last edited:
This is yet another step into merging Compass with Mesaba...those who have been following the small details see how these are all adding up. Before you respond with a "no Way" please do some research and your homework...Soon the Compass pilots will be represented by the Mesaba Mec! First under the cover as a trasitional MEC, then...

This is yet another step into merging Compass with Mesaba...those who have been following the small details see how these are all adding up. Before you respond with a "no Way" please do some research and your homework...Soon the Compass pilots will be represented by the Mesaba Mec! First under the cover as a trasitional MEC, then...

That is probably the most realistic scenario likely and if so would screw the CPS guys that went to CPS in the first place with the sole intention to flow up to DAL. Now under even the most generous SLI with Mesaba would have several hundred more guys in the flow waiting for the DAL seat above them...and the flow that Mesaba has pales in comparison to the one that CPS currently has. For the current CPS Captain that would have flowed up in the next 18-24 months (realistically)...it would be well over a 10 year wait if that were to happen.

LOA 2006-10 might have been negotiated in 2006, but we had not seen anything in writing until July of 2007. Yes we were given a brief update on contract negotiations up to July of 2007 but we did not see details until it was signed and printed. As for your comment about the flow, Compass was not created based on flow it was created base on providing jobs to the NWA furloughed pilots.

I thought CPS was formed to provide a C scale to mainline pilots. You don't furlough and then create an airline to put said forloughed pilots. You transfer your mainline pilots to a lower wage company via pink slip. Anyway, I know you "think your flying shoul be mainline too". But, what a mistake to lose the flow. What do you have besides that? Ego? Regional career? If this thing goes the way of Mesaba, then that will be a long ten years at a regional (almost Mainline Regional). Delta has you all's number and they are dialing it collect.

Latest resources

Back