Compass or SkyWest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What is "Compass material" ?

I had to laugh at some of the posts in this thread.

As if non-rev priority on outsourced metal and hot flight attendants are things to be considered when deciding which way to steer one's career at a pivotal time in the industry.

I'm a neutral vote here: poor2thecore, if you are single mid 20s and don't care about bases as you've mentioned, I think you would be absolutely crazy to not go to Compass over SkyWest in this pair of choices.

Nothing wrong with SKW but CPZ is about to get a new contract and the flow movement will most likely be attrition that is proportionally unrivaled by any other airline maybe in history. You just don't see a quarter of a seniority list disappear in a matter of months, and you ought to try to take advantage of that because it is about to happen.

Well, the original poster asked this question:

"Say you had a class date at Compass and an interview lined up with SkyWest. What would you choose if you eventually got a class at SkyWest as well? Bases weren't really an issue (can move wherever), single, not much debt, mid-20's."

Nowhere in here did he state that he was just looking to make below minimum wage as a regional FO for any airline that he could quickly upgrade to left seat, even at lower than standard captain wages if he had to, just to get an easy ticket to a mainline gig. Had he said that originally then we could have killed this thread about 3 pages ago. I actually thought he was being serious about judging the overall pros and cons. Since we now know all he wants is the fastest route possible to mainline gig, this makes him bonafide Compass material.

Well, the original poster asked this question:

"Say you had a class date at Compass and an interview lined up with SkyWest. What would you choose if you eventually got a class at SkyWest as well? Bases weren't really an issue (can move wherever), single, not much debt, mid-20's."

Nowhere in here did he state that he was just looking to make below minimum wage as a regional FO for any airline that he could quickly upgrade to left seat, even at lower than standard captain wages if he had to, just to get an easy ticket to a mainline gig. Had he said that originally then we could have killed this thread about 3 pages ago. I actually thought he was being serious about judging the overall pros and cons. Since we now know all he wants is the fastest route possible to mainline gig, this makes him bonafide Compass material.

That's not entirely true actually. But, isn't that kind of the point? You asked a few posts ago what I had for pros regarding Compass. I told you. What's up eith all the defensive posts?

What is "Compass material" ?

I had to laugh at some of the posts in this thread.

As if non-rev priority on outsourced metal and hot flight attendants are things to be considered when deciding which way to steer one's career at a pivotal time in the industry.

I'm a neutral vote here: poor2thecore, if you are single mid 20s and don't care about bases as you've mentioned, I think you would be absolutely crazy to not go to Compass over SkyWest in this pair of choices.

Nothing wrong with SKW but CPZ is about to get a new contract and the flow movement will most likely be attrition that is proportionally unrivaled by any other airline maybe in history. You just don't see a quarter of a seniority list disappear in a matter of months, and you ought to try to take advantage of that because it is about to happen.
What new contract??

That's not entirely true actually. But, isn't that kind of the point? You asked a few posts ago what I had for pros regarding Compass. I told you. What's up eith all the defensive posts?

The SKW guys are proud of their airline, and they have a pretty good deal going, until they have to start parking tons of 50 seaters. Scope clauses prevent them from getting larger planes,(larger than 76 seats) so they are stuck. They may not get additional 76 seaters either if they don't go for what the mainline airlines are asking for either. But, they have some great flying and great bases, but I would think those are fairly senior, and tough to get into for maybe years. So, knowing that you might get pushed out to MSP or ORD anyway, you may want to look at CPZ. Compass has guaranteed 120 Capts leaving per year for the next few, meaning better lines and QOL sooner. The E175 seems like a nice plane to fly, and the flying variety is getting better with the additional West Coast flying.

If your desire is to fly where you want to live on the West Coast, maybe go for SKW. (Even though that will probably be on a prop initially or a 50 seat RJ out of MSP for a bit). If you want faster progression on a larger jet with an aim for eventually getting PIC and leaving faster towards a mainline or LCC job, then I would suggest Compass. And maybe the interview process will be more comfortable too.

Bye Bye---General Lee

XPOO...why so defensive...SkyW is a good company and believe me we're all happy that you're gonna stay there the rest of your career from tone of your writing, but it's still a regional, still dependent on the mother airlines handing out scraps to the dogs. I do think that long term...LONG TERM...skywest beats compass hands down. Better contract, better qol, more job security, but times are a changing and people may not spend 10+ years at the regionals anymore. It's fine to defend your company, but putting lipstick on a pig doesn't change anything. Get it, get out, move on...that's my .02$. And yes compass will have a new contract sometime mid Dec, no extensions on the arbitration.

Not defensive. I get it, SkyWest isn't for everyone. Again, good luck. I hope the industry stays exactly the way it is now for the rest of humanity and conditions never change.

Nowhere in here did he state that he was just looking to make below minimum wage as a regional FO for any airline that he could quickly upgrade to left seat, even at lower than standard captain wages if he had to, just to get an easy ticket to a mainline gig. I actually thought he was being serious about judging the overall pros and cons. Since we now know all he wants is the fastest route possible to mainline gig, this makes him bonafide Compass material.

If you're going to post things that are factually incorrect then someone is going to have to come on here and correct you.

"just looking to make below minimum wage as a regional FO"

First year/second year pay:
Brasilia $22/$31
CRJ-900 $22/39

Compass $25/36
(they have new pay rates coming out in two weeks; might be slightly higher)

"even at lower than standard captain wages"

Third year/fifth year captain pay:
Brasilia $50/$53
CRJ-900 $69/$73

Compass $69/$74

What is the lower paying airline here? Because I don't think it's the one you thought it was.

Haven't considered work rules etc. but they are quite comparable not considering the improvements that the Compass CBA will likely have in two weeks time.

What about flow back? If the FED succeeds is imploding the dollar, it could make 2008 look like a just another bad day on Wall St. You just don't ever know.

One thing also to consider...

Being a regional carrier in this day and age with your eggs all in one basket can be a huge issue. Due to the tendencies of the Majors to do all kinds of knee jerk things with feed, who knows what Compass could look like a few years down the road.

Latest resources

Back