• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Commuting under attack because of crash

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The NTSB has always wanted to be more strict on duty day lengths and commuting. But the NTSB doesn't make policy, the FAA does.

There are a lot of pilots, especially at the regionals, that would give up their careers rather than commute. Some have other businesses or their wives make great money or they can't afford to live in the hub city or any number of good reasons. Look how bad things got for the regionals in the last hiring spree. It was hard enough covering the normal attrition much less the added loss due to something like this. And if you add to that the extra man-power needed due to a shorter duty day, the airlines wouldn't be able to keep up. The FAA sets policy at the pleasure of the airlines and they just won't allow it.

When this goes to the FAA hearings you'll see the airline mgmts changing the topic from rest and commuting to the lack of professionalism and ability of the crew. In the end nothing will change.

PT 141 is not a puppy mill. It's a training syllabus. 0 time to COMM/ME/INST in one back to back syllabus for your licenses. A school has to meet certain requirements to obtain a PT141 certificate.

PT 61 is a more relaxed syllabus than 141 when it comes to time line but same result. A bust in either case is logged in the FAA database. It is not reported as for PRIA purposes but you have to disclose it if the employer requires it.

A PT121.441 is a PC, well I am sure you know that one. Those become part of your training records for PRIA. At least that is how I understand it.

Thanks, I didn't know that. So Colgan didn't do a thorough background check on the guy.
Wms, you are correct. The feds will boot lick management and nothing will change. What's a little death amongst friends?

Last edited:
They will always find someone who is willing to commute or that lives near base to hire. Regionals/Majors will never raise the pay because of that.

I disagree. How many pilots comute now? Half? The airlines could not replace half of their pilots on short notice. Commuting pilots don't really do the companies many favors. They have more sick calls due to bad commutes. They are not generally available to cover flights. Why do airlines put up with them?

Because they have to. They need enough pilots. There simply are not enough pilots who want to/ can afford to live in base. Why else would the companies allow commuting? It would be much easier to say NO COMMUTING allowed. NetJets essentially did that when they went to their 5 bases. Why did Netjets expand that to 100 cities? Because they couldn't get enough pilots.

Crew rest on site, check-in in person at the company crew rest center, get assigned buck 5B 16 hours prior to flight. Key swipe on the door to make sure you stayed in the room. Boy every one would be legally rested, but nothing can address fatique

Crew rest on site, check-in in person at the company crew rest center, get assigned buck 5B 16 hours prior to flight. Key swipe on the door to make sure you stayed in the room. Boy every one would be legally rested, but nothing can address fatique

...chained to the bed would be better. Brain-wave monitoring to guarantee sleep, with pharmaceutical assistance if necessary...

CHANGE is coming....

Do your checkrides from part 61 and 141 appear on PRIAs?

Whether you passed or failed a checkride under 61 or 141 is not under PRIA. All the FAA releases is what actual certificates, ratings and medical you have. I bet the reason for this was not to discourage people who fail checkrides from pursuing a flying career. Kind of ironic. With this BUF accident I bet this all will change.

For the most part, commuting is a living hell, but it seems to be necessary when bases are closed and the spouse has a job with high pay and seniority.

So the problem is too many empty kitchens.

Pay sure wont change because of this.... but count on some limits on commuting as a result.... not good.

Latest resources

Back