Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not what I ment.
I commute too, so relax.
I was refering to the guys who say "Like it or quit"....they're the company lap dogs.

I'm relaxed now.

That's exactly the explanation I needed, and thank you very much for it.

Did these people have any formal upset recovery training?

Did these people have any formal upset recovery training?

Formal upset recovery training can be a thousand things. Did AA have a rudder multiplet recovery scenario for the A300?

Did they see a stick push event and get training on that? I'm not a CJ pilot, but I doubt they did given the testimony. The task at hand now is to create a viable and legitimate training scenario- and legitimate training on it.

Those people died because of money. Why doesn't the q400 have autothrottles? Money. Why was the FO living with her parents? Probably money.
Commuting is not an option for many of us. I wouldn't be in this business if it weren't for my wife's income during all those years working for peanuts flying metros and brasilias in the right seat. What about all the military guys/gals that have to live near their unit and commute to their airline job? I know a few that would have stayed on active duty if they couldn't commute.
The bottom line is that we need commuters, without them the whole industry would collapse. Captain Sully is a commuter. How many pilots will subject their families to the financial, emotional, and social strain of moving every time a base closes or downsizes? Do we really want only those who are willing to jump at the whim of management to be airline pilots? If there is no commuting, we will no longer have the "best and brightest" in the cockpit. Rather, we will have the only butts available in the front seats.
If my regional airline would compensate me according to the responsibility that I have, I could replace my wife's income and I would gladly live in one of the available domiciles but until that happens, or we don't have the option, I'll commute.

Just move to your base. Or get a new job.

Commuting is a PRIVELEDGE, not a RIGHT, or Luxury for that matter. Base closures, living in NYC, etc, are the nature of the business. If you cant handle the terms, then find another line of work. That being said, I completely understand why people commute, and Im glad that this industry offers them an opportunity to do it and that they can make it work, but don't think the airlines aren't going to fight a change to add commuting time to your duty day. If something comes of it, you can be sure EVERY line will start at 6am!

I assume that Bunkle n Bail are both military types from their profiles. If so, don't be harsh --they cannot relate to this in their world of COLA, BAH, BAS. These are adjustments, the first two based on the duty station, to the service member's base pay. The BAH (housing) isn't taxed to boot.

An E-1 gets $1001/month BAH (w/o dependents) if assigned to northern NJ and living in the economy. That same E-1 is also earning $1399.50/month as a base pay, the BAS (food) is $323.87, and the COLA is a "5" so that's another $90/mo.

Aside from the whole military v. civilian job (Military Times is always comaring the pay scales afterall), this compares a E-1 to the pay of an FO. Apples-to-apples comparison might need the O-1 numbers, but these numbers illustrate the difference. That E-1 makes $2,814.37/mo, or $33,772.44/yr. I know the E-1 right out of AIT won't get assigned to northern NJ, but these are the numbers.

For the record, had those two not been so condesending, I wouldn't have either.

the FAA and airline cannot tell us how we spend are time off prior to a trip, with exceptions to drugs and alcohol. They only way the FAA and company can help reduce the amount of fatigue pilots can be dealt with is to shorten the maximum duty day. The way it is now a crew can report and 0800 and be duty until 1200 midnight!!! So the FAA says it is okay and safe for the crew to be worked that long is the issue creating tired pilots .. not commuting

the FAA and airline cannot tell us how we spend are time off prior to a trip, with exceptions to drugs and alcohol. They only way the FAA and company can help reduce the amount of fatigue pilots can be dealt with is to shorten the maximum duty day.

You are so wrong. They can easily draft a regulation requiring, say, 8 hours of "continuous rest" in the preceding 10 - 12 hours prior to the beginning of a "cycle of flights."

With those two terms defined, BOOM! That would limit commuting. It would be easy to do.

Whether you drive a car, ride a motorcycle, walk or fly, commuting to work will just be considered part of the duty day and airlines will just have to give pilots positive space and pay us for it.

As far as I am concerned and in my opinion, Colgan management exploited and Murdered that girl and those passengers and it all cost them $16,0000 a year to do it.
Its a shame that America will never realize the truth until some of these executives heads start to roll.

While Colgan's culpability is apparent I believe it is minor in comparison to her actions. She failed in her duty to monitor the Captain and aircraft. Now, maybe she was slightly ill and tired, but knowing that, she should have been all that much more in the game.

That was most likely a lack of experience. She simply had not been scared out of her pants previously by similar circumstances. Great First Officers are quite often formed by some idiot in the left seat trying to kill them. It's a shame some folks find themselves flying as Captain in the right seat, without the pay, but that is the world we live in.

Now I really don't hold her as culpable as the Captain. He set the chatter-box inattentive tone in that cockpit. I've flown with him, he just had a different face and uniform. And I'm sure there has been a time when I should've seen him in the mirror.

I've flown with her too; same story though, different face and uniform.

The point of all this is to say; Colgan didn't commit murder, nor did the crew. There was negligence all around at varying degrees. Most of it fell on the Captain, in my opinion.

Latest resources

Back