CommutAir Hiring Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sorry Aft,

No offense intended. Just thought the choice of words was interesting.

Don't know what the new developments are at Commutair, but I spent a year and a half there bitching and complaining and it isn't (wasn't?) that bad a place.

None taken, shamrock. Last winters deal was plowing & snowblowing driveways, so you can probably understand why I'm a little anxious. Made some GREAT cash from plowing, so I really can't complain. There are all kinds of ways to supplement first year FO pay... all I need to do is become a first year FO!

shamrock said:
Don't know what the new developments are at Commutair, but I spent a year and a half there bitching and complaining and it isn't (wasn't?) that bad a place.

Yeah, we know you did. Heh. That's OK, I was bitching right there with you.

If it's any consolation, this place has gotten MUCH, MUCH worse since you left. It hardly resembles the company you worked for, which wasn't TOO terrible when you left. Believe me, there's nothing left here for you to miss. Nothing at all. :D

Good place to cut your teeth

AftCG182 said:
QOL is my main factor with wanting to stay in ALB. As far as I can tell, only CommutAir and Colgan have domiciles at ALB. I would guess that, on average, new hire F/O's spend a year on reserve. That means moving again. If it can be helped, I would rather not move out of town. Might be time to pack my bags one more time.
Commutair is a good place to cut your teeth on 121 OPS and turboprops. If you wanna stay in ALB, it would probably be ideal for you. Just be prepared to put up with alot of mickey-mouse crap from MGT, and understand that you will be working for a little 'mom and pop' shop. Most of the people that stay at CA do so for QoL issues.

I really enjoyed my time there, and felt like it prepared me well to move on. The people are great, the plane in fun. Just don't expect it to be like many of the airline jobs you have heard about. I.E. no contract, scheduling jerking you around, etc.

I didn't mean any thing by it and have apologized. Jeez, I thought I'd at least get some points for saying something, uh, non-negative, about Commutair.

Don't you have a TA to vote down or something?

Justino said:
Does it look like CA will be hiring soon?

Not likely, but we're always the last to know. A memo we got a few months ago indicated we were overstaffed, but probably wouldn't be furloughing because the pilot group would "right-size itself" -- in other words, enough people would quit anyway in prettty short order.

But hey, don't be surprised if we have another hiring rush because of all the people leaving. (All to fractionals and other regionals, I might add.) I guess they did their job TOO well to "encourage" the pilot group to shrink, because they're fleeing like rats from a sinking ship.

Sad that management can't see that a pay raise would mean a substantially lower training budget and actually SAVE money, but they don't see things long-term like that, I guess.

Too bad, too. It really used to be a fun place to work, but it'll be a hard road to get back to that point.

Last edited:
shamrock said:
So when are you leaving, CA?

At this rate, when hades freezes over. :D

At this stage, I don't really want to jump to another regional and effectively start over after riding this place out. I'm hoping (assuming they stay in business) I can hang in there until someplace substantially better hires me. I'm patient. <grin>

That said, I'm hoping my co-workers are interested in another union vote, so we can start reversing this downward trend here! We'll see.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back