• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CommutAir Hiring Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Besides jetBlue who else cares about flying an airplane thats below 17500 MTW? Is it only jetBlue that wants to c PIC in "heavier" platform?

Thanks

Justino

Ps. I think flying a 1900 would be fun!

Youneek28 said:
Most people on this site are so excited about flying a CRJ or ERJ. who cares, at Commutair your upgrade time a lot shorter than at EXJ. I hope you are looking at the next step in your career and not just the regionals. I understand it is a stepping stone and the regionals is something you have to do, but PIC turbine is what your looking for, the faster you can get there the better off you'll be. 4700 hrs of SIC in a jet doesn't mean crap to SWA or FEDEX.

Think of your overall goal!

Good Luck
Ah what I wouldn't wish to again be young and ignorant of the cruel world of the US airline industry. I'm supposed to be an international widebody FO at American by now. All I needed was to build my PIC.

Hey buddy think that 1000 PIC in a 1900 is going to stack-up well against all the US Air guys that may soon be looking for the precious few openings at SWA and FEDEX. Oh and I'm sure you'll fit in competitively with other major furloughees, high time/multi-typed regional guys, and recent ex-military folk. Don't forget that SWA supports ammending the Age 60 rule as well.

Perhaps if you're dating Herb or Fred Smith's hot niece you might move up the stack. Sorry my friend the day of the quick PIC has ended as well as the prospect of this being a lucrative career with great retirement. Today's reality is that if you chose the airline route you will almost certainly be at regionals for a LONG time.

AftCG182 said:
QOL is my main factor with wanting to stay in ALB. As far as I can tell, only CommutAir and Colgan have domiciles at ALB. I would guess that, on average, new hire F/O's spend a year on reserve. That means moving again. If it can be helped, I would rather not move out of town. Might be time to pack my bags one more time.
Woe be to the individual that picks a company on the basis of where their crew bases are...

Careful, man, many are the the pilots that want to murder their higher-ups after their bases are closed....

I agree

Be careful about putting too much stock into where an airline's domiciles are. Of course, take that into account but don't make that your sole factor in deciding where you want to work or where you will work. At CommutAir, there is a history of domiciles being closed with little notice and results in much unhappiness. Colgan seems to have the same history from what I have learned from their pilots. 121 life and I guess working as a pilot in general REQUIRES flexibility with where you live. Sometimes you get lucky, usually you'll get screwed at some point.

Get out the lube.

After finishing another great day of flying at the DZ, I'm reminded of another reason for holding out for CommutAir. I spoke with a CA Captain a few months ago who said that he was "not discouraged" from flying jumpers in Florida to make extra $$ while he was a modestly-paid FO. I would really like to keep hauling jumpers, it's too much fun to give up. Plus, rumor has it we're getting an Islander next spring. Hidden agenda? Naaaaaaaaah.

AftCG182 said:
Plus, rumor has it we're getting an Islander next spring.
That's great. At CommutAir, we've just agreed to replace our 1900s with Twin Otters. "Positive Rate - Gear up ... Never mind."

FWIW, here is my unsolicited advice.

If you live in the Albany area, CommutAir would be a good choice for you. We have had our share of ups and downs, and right now we are very down. But it is a place you can get good experience; and have, at times, a relatively quick upgrade.

Nimitz is correct in saying that nobody is going to come banging down your door at 1000 hours turbine PIC. On the other hand, you can't even start a paper trail at Southwest without it. You can't start a paper trail at AirTran without 500 hours 121 PIC. Long and short, without the PIC time, you have little to no hope.

This industry is cyclical, and I do believe that the majors will return in some fashion. Northwest, Continental and United have all been recalling pilots. Southwest is growing like a weed, FedEx and UPS are hiring, and ASTAR may be hiring soon. America West, AirTran, Alaska and Frontier have all hired off and on over the last few years. So I believe there is some hope out there. I saw this same sort of environment in the 90s as well. Tons of furloughs, a few big airlines going out of business, pay being cut, etc. But by the mid 90s, recalls began and some airlines began hiring slowly. And we all know what happened by the late 90s.

As for CommutAir itself, well it has all been documented pretty well on here. Pay is not the greatest, certainly not enough to hang around long-term. Most regionals pay second year F/Os more than CommutAir pays second or third year captains. But as I stated, you will get good experience here and have a relatively quck upgrade. Don't expect any hiring before spring though. Many people question what the future holds for us.

BTW, does anyone know of a good solid regional, with decent pay, and secure future? What is going to happen with CHQ, TSA, Mesa and all of the wholly owneds if USAirways goes under? Why can't Air Wisconsin get United to give them more flying or land another codeshare? How will Comair, ASA, CHQ and Skywest be affected by a possible DAL bankruptcy? What is going to happen with ExpressJet when other airlines can begin bidding for CAL flying in two years? Seems to me every regional has some big questionmarks in front of them right now.

Holding out, waiting for, WHATEVER. All I'm looking for is a little insight into the hiring situation at CA. The only downside to hauling jumpers is that I'll need to find a winter gig in a month or so. Thus, the hiring question.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back