Comair's New President/Other Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

tiffanytaylor

Comair's new President, John Bendoraitis, was announced today. He was the President of Compass.

I wonder if this means Comair will be merged with Compass/Mesaba?

Every new President that comes in is given the task of 'making our costs competitive'. We are pretty much as far down as we can get. More pay-cuts?

Why is Mesaba hiring and Comair furloughing?

If Delta plans to "kill" Comair, I wish they'd just do it and get it over with. I feel like I'm dying a slow and painful death at this company. I hope Comair has a future. We give more and more and more and keep getting less. We saved $30 million this year under Selvaggio and that wasn't enough.

If Mesa goes under will we get some of their flying and some 70s and 90s back? or will Delta just continue taking pleasure in watching us squirm?

Last edited:
I have no crystal ball, but the Comair guys really would have a lot more friends if they were not such tools after 9-11.....

The union prevented Comair from hiring any of the DAL furlough pilots for some reason I could never understand. If a guy is on furlough and wants to go to the bottom of the list as a new hire, who would care?

I know there are lots of good people at Comar, but your union did a horrible thing back then, and when they need help, they won't find a lot of buddies at mainline.....

-That was not smart.
-These days we all need every buddy we can find.

If Mesa goes under will we get some of their flying and some 70s and 90s back? or will Delta just continue taking pleasure in watching us squirm?
they'll go to Mesaba like all the others.
Word on the street is that DAL sent those 900's to Mesaba because DAL has to flip the bill for Comair to go through differences, where Mesaba pays for their own.

Last edited:
I have no crystal ball, but the Comair guys really would have a lot more friends if they were not such tools after 9-11.....

The union prevented Comair from hiring any of the DAL furlough pilots for some reason I could never understand. If a guy is on furlough and wants to go to the bottom of the list as a new hire, who would care?

I know there are lots of good people at Comar, but your union did a horrible thing back then, and when they need help, they won't find a lot of buddies at mainline.....

-That was not smart.
-These days we all need every buddy we can find.

Once again the lie is retold and the urban legend of Comair pilots screwing the Deltoids continues.

The policy about requiring seniority resignation was and still is Comair management policy, not Comair MEC policy. The Deltoids could have told their company (DAL) to tell the wholly owned management to change the policy, but they didn't. In fact they didn't ask for help from DAL management nor Comair management. Instead they demanded that the Comair MEC get it changed. Let's not forget, they wanted a special exemption for DAL pilots. Comair's management policy has always been that ALL newhires resign their seniority at their prior employment.

Granted, the Comair MEC didn't do anything towards getting the policy changed, but that's a far cry from actively torpedoing the idea either. Seniority resignation is a pretty standard industry policy. There were plenty of other pilots furloughed at the time applying to Comair and the policy was applied consistently. Why did the Deltoids think they should be treated differently? Remember, according to them Comair and DAL were separate entities.

In retrospect could JC have been at least willing to broach the idea with Comair management? I guess. A little goodwill goes a long way. There has always been bad blood between some DAL pilots and some CMR pilots, but the legend that Comair pilots actively fought against the DAL furloughees is patently false.

no clue, doubt it
I'm guessing JS had enough of DAL

What is your or anyone's best guess about Comair's future then? Since Compass' past President is now our President it just seems like they may be headed towards Northwest's wholly-owned subsidiaries and Delta's merging into one?

Last edited:
What is your or anyone's best guess about Comair's future then? Since Compass' past President is now our President it just seems like they may be headed towards Northwest's wholly-owned subsidiaries and Delta's merging into one?

One would think that would be the logical next step. But then this is the airline business.

Latest resources

Back