• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Comair's New President/Other Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Simply put, that letter you're referring to doesn't exist. Safety issues? Sounds more like what DALPA would tell it's pilots if it really wanted to get them riled up against someone other than themselves.

Sorry BVT, but you're wrong on this one. As a CMR pilot, I disagreed vehemently with JC when this came out, but to no avail. As others have said, the CMR MEC doesn't decide who gets hired and who doesn't. Only the company has the power to drop the seniority resignation requirement. That said, JC decided to throw some more gas on the fire. [Sig, hope you don't mind me copying one of your old posts]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']TO: Comair Pilots[/font][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']
DATE:December 16, 2002
Your MEC met in CVG with the Delta MEC Chairman, Captain Will Buergey, at his request, to discuss preferential hiring of furloughed Delta pilots at Comair. Through this letter, I hope to dispel rumors and provide a more thorough understanding of the purpose and outcome of that meeting.

The Delta MEC, while in session at the bi-annual October Board of Directors meeting in Hollywood, Florida, formally directed the Delta MEC Chairman via resolution to meet with the Comair MEC Chairman to seek preferential hiring for furloughed Delta pilots at Comair while allowing them to retain their Delta seniority.

The general philosophy held by the Comair MEC is:

We are sensitive to the regrettable plight of all furloughed pilots in our industry.
We encourage our management to hire pilots who seek a future at Comair.
We have formally approached Comair management and our management has agreed to preferential hiring of furloughed ALPA pilots.
We agree with our company's policy that requires prospective Comair pilots to resign their seniority at their previous carrier.
We believe our Company's industry-standard policy requiring seniority resignation is sound and wise. It promotes the general health and welfare of all Comair employees and serves to protect the future of our company.
At our meeting in CVG, Captain Buergey offered preferential hiring to Comair pilots if the Comair MEC would recommend to Comair management that they hire furloughed Delta pilots and allow them to retain their Delta seniority.

Your MEC responded that hiring any pilots at Comair who do not resign their seniority at their previous carrier gives rise to numerous substantive concerns. The Delta MEC's offer of (future) preferential hiring at Delta is not sufficiently substantive to overcome those concerns and solicit Comair pilots' support. We suggested three alternative concepts, any one or all of which might lead to a mutually beneficial solution:

Relax the Delta PWA, Section 1, seat restrictions imposed upon Comair and ASA that limit our growth in 70-seat and larger airframes.
Negotiate Delta Brand Scope language with Delta management that defines all Delta flying within the Delta revenue stream to be performed solely by Delta, Comair, and ASA pilots.
Negotiate a plan for future integration of our Delta, Comair, and ASA pilots seniority lists that fairly recognizes the efforts and contributions of all.

The Comair MEC stands ready to work with the collective MEC's to bring about change that makes sense in a challenging economic environment and works for all pilots who perform flying under the Delta brand. As we stated in the Tuesday, December 3rd meeting, our door is still open.

COMAIR MEC
AIR LINE PILOTS ASSOCIATION, INTERNATIONAL
SUITE 120 3940 OLYMPIC BOULEVARD ERLANGER, KY 41018
859-282-9016 FAX 859-283-5533

[/font]

Sorry BVT, but you're wrong on this one. As a CMR pilot, I disagreed vehemently with JC when this came out, but to no avail. As others have said, the CMR MEC doesn't decide who gets hired and who doesn't. Only the company has the power to drop the seniority resignation requirement. That said, JC decided to throw some more gas on the fire. [Sig, hope you don't mind me copying one of your old posts]

I think what you are forgetting was the time frame that this happened. It was right after the strike and 9/11, and there was enough bad blood there where JC was smart in simply accepting the decision the company made.

As stated before, I'm no fan of JC or the union, but I remember clearly and can tell you that there wasn't a manager in the building that didn't want these pilots back, but changing the policy wasn't the right business decision at that point in time.

Once again, this is old news and none of the participants in those days are players there now. But there wasn't any kind of conspiricy.

We're all agreeing around the same thing. I also was a Comair pilot at the time actively involved in the union. Trust me, this was blown way out of proportion and was nothing more than a PR battle between DALPA and Council 37.

We're all agreeing around the same thing. I also was a Comair pilot at the time actively involved in the union. Trust me, this was blown way out of proportion and was nothing more than a PR battle between DALPA and Council 37.

The letter speaks for itself. What wasn't posted was the code-a-phone, or Comair's version of it, that indeed raised an issue of safety between Comair and Delta pilots in the same cockpit. It was real, and is probably still out there somewhere. Im sure that one of our guys has it.

Bean-counting was at hand. Pure bean-counting; probably on Leo Mullen's behalf. Multiple training cycles? Ha, let 'em get jobs at a non-wholly-owned. As I understand, only a handful of DAL ever took the job at ASA...probably under management's radar.

I had been on the property one whole month when that letter came out. Nevertheless, I wasn't too pleased with the language, as I'm sure much of the rank-and-file weren't as well. But, you've gotta admit, Delta owned us and could've told Comair to hire these guys plain and simple, bypassing the MEC. Looks like the respective managements won: they pitted two ALPA groups against one another and look what happened then and continues yet today.

C'mon, we dropped a Nuke on Japan and soon after they're our best friends. Now that "The One" is prez, can't we all just get along?

What about the letter put out by the Comair MEC. In this letter the union said that they felt there were significant safety issues with Comair hiring Delta pilots without a senority number resignation. Ok, fine! The letter went on to state that if Delta would ease or eliminate our scope clause that the safety issue would not be a factor and the Comair pilots would agree to Delta furloughs being hired without giving up their senority numbers. The Comaier pilots were trying their best to get more airplanes for themselves, and bigger and better paying airplanes for themselves at the expense of Delta pilots. This letter is a fact! What is the Comair pilot's thaughts on that issue!

Damn brother, you have got to let this go...I promise when you get furloughed again from Big D when the whole Delta/NWA merger pans out, I will vote "yes" to hiring Delta furloughees. You have my vote.

What about the letter put out by the Comair MEC. In this letter the union said that they felt there were significant safety issues with Comair hiring Delta pilots without a senority number resignation. Ok, fine! The letter went on to state that if Delta would ease or eliminate our scope clause that the safety issue would not be a factor and the Comair pilots would agree to Delta furloughs being hired without giving up their senority numbers. The Comaier pilots were trying their best to get more airplanes for themselves, and bigger and better paying airplanes for themselves at the expense of Delta pilots. This letter is a fact! What is the Comair pilot's thaughts on that issue!
Asscarpe. I have been known to hold a grudge but what you're doing is not a healthy thing. You need to find a better way to spend your life my friend.

I was at Clownair as well during this whole ordeal and could not believe the morons in the union went the direction they did. Why would ANYONE agree to give up their seniority at a major to work in the regional sector?!

Drop the whole our mec their mec crap.

Fact: Comair screwed up the best thing they had going for them... Favor within DAL

Bendo is there to clean up house and get ready for the For Sale sign to be placed in the front yard. or for complete dismantlement just ask the NWA mechanics

50 seat flying is like 1900 flying in the past, Pax hate the airplanes, CASM is high RASM is low. Don't forget there are alot of furloughs that got into management in Super Delta and didn't forget when they were looking for work Comair didn't step up

As far as a Comair- Mesaba- Compass three way.... thats not gonna happen Comair costs are out of the picture, Mesaba/Compass Holdings are low, there is no way that a merger like that will go through

I wish ya'll the best. I know getting shafted by a company sucks been there a few times....

This isn't even a conversation nowadays, but looking at all the posts pointing toward some kind of conspiracy I feel obligated to chime in.

I was a part of the Comair Flight Operations Management team at that point and was there when this was on the table.

The decision was made in house by internal management. The union didn't have anything to do with the decision, it was done for business reasons.

Believe me, management wanted to hire them all back, but without long term commitments, it wasn't going to happen due to the state of the business.

There was no conspiracy here.

Latest resources

Back