• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Comair....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think most of us would like to see an end to outsourcing. That said, it will be painful! But there is a window of opportunity here. With a glut of mainline pilots, mainline ownership of a lot of RJs could be bargained into bringing those under mainline flying. The pilots would have to fly them for peanuts, but you would have full employment and once you get to the end of your regional contracts, the control of your flying back. Just a thought.

YAWN. It's funny that regional pilots don't have anything better to do than make fun of Delta pilots computing appropriate approach speeds...something that <gasp> seemed to be a factor in a recent accident. Or else poking at somebody asking how long the final is so that <gasp again> they can plan the configuration of the 757 in order to get down with max fuel savings and maximum comfort for the passengers--something that the pilots of every Comair or ASA plane I've ridden on cannot seem to comprehend.

Typical petty, immature commentary from today's RJ pilots.

I say again..YAWN. Perhaps even a :bawling::bawling::bawling: is appropriate here.

Either way, I'll take our geekdom and the accompanying paycheck size over your studly POS RJ--and its paycheck size any day.

Ta.

puff you make a good point although I dont agree with the last sentence. I was a regional guy in the past and I understand that "we" dont have the same outlook on life as you do. Unfortunately saying I have my piece of the pie i.e. paycheck, is what put the industry in the toilet. The collective petty thinking that we as pilots have has destroyed any future in the career. I suspect there is more pain to come regardless of what anyone thinks about the mergers. With the world market shrinking to meet the demand of today DAL has to adjust its plan. Its not just DAL I am sure bad things are on the horizon for CAL, USAir, United, and all of the LCC even SW. I am not the smartest guy in the building but if I was to bet I would say expect alot more furloughs in the fall from everywhere including the RJ world. I suspect everyone (management) is going to be working on the synergy of a smaller well whipsawed airline. This is not just airline world, I think my job in the military is going to be outsourced to UAVs soon.

we as pilots and professionals need to do all we can and get some sort of backup for ourself and our families. At the end of the day whether DAL or CAL cut pilot force or not they still keep the same amount of greedy manager types. It takes the same amount of execs to run a much smaller lower paid work force as it does highly paid over confident work force. If we are all educated in something else besides being an aviator maybe just maybe we have the bargainning power to attract professionals to the industry that are not willing to take bad contracts. Puff keep in mind todays an FO at Comair is going to be your FO at DAL. Teach everyone anything that you learned from your mistakes in the past and we might be able to prevent acidents like the recent one.

PS sorry if i made some sp errors my spell check is INOP

puff you make a good point although I dont agree with the last sentence. I was a regional guy in the past and I understand that "we" dont have the same outlook on life as you do. Unfortunately saying I have my piece of the pie i.e. paycheck, is what put the industry in the toilet. The collective petty thinking that we as pilots have has destroyed any future in the career. I suspect there is more pain to come regardless of what anyone thinks about the mergers. With the world market shrinking to meet the demand of today DAL has to adjust its plan. Its not just DAL I am sure bad things are on the horizon for CAL, USAir, United, and all of the LCC even SW. I am not the smartest guy in the building but if I was to bet I would say expect alot more furloughs in the fall from everywhere including the RJ world. I suspect everyone (management) is going to be working on the synergy of a smaller well whipsawed airline. This is not just airline world, I think my job in the military is going to be outsourced to UAVs soon.

we as pilots and professionals need to do all we can and get some sort of backup for ourself and our families. At the end of the day whether DAL or CAL cut pilot force or not they still keep the same amount of greedy manager types. It takes the same amount of execs to run a much smaller lower paid work force as it does highly paid over confident work force. If we are all educated in something else besides being an aviator maybe just maybe we have the bargainning power to attract professionals to the industry that are not willing to take bad contracts. Puff keep in mind todays an FO at Comair is going to be your FO at DAL. Teach everyone anything that you learned from your mistakes in the past and we might be able to prevent acidents like the recent one.

PS sorry if i made some sp errors my spell check is INOP

I disagree with quite a bit of what you said. The regionals attitude has morphed somewhat from my experience when I was there, and the attitude is reflected here. Regardless, I have earned the right to be critical of their triteness, as I have indeed walked the walk. It is the triteness I attempted to address with like minded triteness so that they may reflect on their words and perhaps learn something. I have tried the rational approach with them, and they just don't get it. On to tough love. I do, however, thank you for your input. I don't put the emphasis on spelling, so don't worry. I consider the "spelling argument" trite as well. ;)

puff thank you for taking the high road in the past, i do agree with you in the attitude that alot of guys have in the regional world. I guess what I would like to see is some sort of cohesivness from the "professionals" to save what we consider our livelyhood.

YAWN. It's funny that regional pilots don't have anything better to do than make fun of Delta pilots computing appropriate approach speeds...something that <gasp> seemed to be a factor in a recent accident. Or else poking at somebody asking how long the final is so that <gasp again> they can plan the configuration of the 757 in order to get down with max fuel savings and maximum comfort for the passengers--something that the pilots of every Comair or ASA plane I've ridden on cannot seem to comprehend.

Typical petty, immature commentary from today's RJ pilots.

I say again..YAWN. Perhaps even a :bawling::bawling::bawling: is appropriate here.

Either way, I'll take our geekdom and the accompanying paycheck size over your studly POS RJ--and its paycheck size any day.

Ta.

(gasp)

A bit of thread creep here, but:

Additives are half steady headwind component plus all of gust factor. Minimum Vref additive is +5, maximum +20.

With autothrottles on to touchdown (autoland) its simply +5 (due to TMC protection).

Spin it ever how you want. I very seldom hear anybody from AA, UAL, NWA, or CAL. Anybody else who flies a 757/767 never has to ask for a windcheck. Is there that much difference between different companies trying to fly the same airplane. Delta seems to be the only one who does this. I don't have a dog in this fight but you guys are the laughing stock when it comes to asking for a windcheck.

The wind is whatever it takes to put the airplane safely on the ground.

Re: Comair...

You've never forgotten what the winds are before? Again...because of our bugging policy with a/t off.....

I guess that's why the rest of the industry writes down the ATIS.

Last edited:
they can plan the configuration of the 757 in order to get down with max fuel savings and maximum comfort for the passengers--something that the pilots of every Comair or ASA plane I've ridden on cannot seem to comprehend.

Aren't the Comair and ASA guys flying their airplanes in the most fuel effeciant manner, to save Delta as much money possible? Isn't Delta shedding ASA and Comair?
So who says the same isn't for you?

PS
I love the guys who go from a regional to Mother Delta. They get this ego about them that they are better than everyone else. When not too long ago, you were flying the same Barbie Jet.
I even know a former regional guy who had longer than average hair for a male pilot. Now he's at Delta and he has a flat top. Guess he's trying to blend in with the former Military pilots.

The flat top is for helo pilots only, how did he get a Delta gig? Can I get hired too if I can pull off the flat top or do I need to wear my double breasted uniform with heavy starch? back to the guy with the long hair, good for him that he changed his ******************************bag look although a flat top is not soo good.

Latest resources

Back