• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Comair....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Surface winds don't do me any good when I'm cleared to land 10 miles out at 3000 feet. Why as pilots do we always try and overcomplicate this crap? This job isn't that hard folks.
Because some overweight pilot who can't keep his medical is sitting in his little cubical trying to figure out ways to keep his job, coming up with new procedures.
Up next, new call outs! You will call out the altitude in 500ft increments.
500 above! ....1,500 climbing 5,000! 2000 climbing 5,000, 2500 climbing 5000!.....can we get a AGL Check?

I guess that's why the rest of the industry writes down the ATIS.

We use the printer. Still winds tend to change more than once an hour, wouldn't you say? Our bugging requirement is what it is.

In regards to "how long is final," that is because the 757 does NOT like to descend...not at 250 and even less at 210...flaps dont help, they just add lift. It doesn't drop like a rock out of the sky like the CRJ does. Asking how long final helps make a determination on whether or not to vibrate the heck out of the cabin with the speedbrakes, which is the only way the 757 will descend much more than 1000 fpm.

I was sure to walk off the airplane today like I'm the hottest pilot ever to exist, though.

In regards to "how long is final," that is because the 757 does NOT like to descend...not at 250 and even less at 210...flaps dont help, they just add lift. It doesn't drop like a rock out of the sky like the CRJ does. Asking how long final helps make a determination on whether or not to vibrate the heck out of the cabin with the speedbrakes, which is the only way the 757 will descend much more than 1000 fpm.
Is that what they taught you at GIA? Guessing you're a former GIA guy like most PCL guys.
Lot's of airplanes don't like to descent. But guess what? That's why you're there! Click the autopilot off and fly the airplane! What a concept, maybe that's why you have the job title of a PILOT!?
To wrap it up, I have decided to give you a new nickname. You my son, your new name is "AutoThrottles"

Sorry, didn't go to GIA. Flew corporate, aircraft sales and flight instructed.

Why can I only "descent" with the autopilot off? FLCH, VS and VNAV seem to work fine with or without the AP engaged. I was only referencing that anyways to the "how long is final" that alot of guys seem to use to figure out how much boards to use on the downwind.

As much as you can't believe it, I handfly the airplane a lot...without the "AutoThrottles."

You guys are truly sad if you think that making fun of "wind check" is entertaining. I'm sure you would love to say it someday. Or maybe not...

Here's my take on wind checks.....do whatever the f&*k it takes to keep the airplane on the centerline. Unless it's a question of limitations....it's pretty irrelevant. Surface winds don't do me any good when I'm cleared to land 10 miles out at 3000 feet. Why as pilots do we always try and overcomplicate this crap? This job isn't that hard folks.

Can I get an "AMEN"?!?!

Thank you!

Um, puff....

Does it even matter what the heck they "say" the wind readout is??? Doesn't a 'pilot' steer the airplane to the runway using things like ailerons, using whatever inputs it takes to bring the aircraft over the runway? And then doesn't that pilot align the aircraft along the centerline using their feet to move the rudder, using whatever inputs necessary? What does an arbitrary number matter? Do you guys calculate some formula that gives you the footpounds of tourque necessary to apply to the rudder to overcome the wind? No, I'm sure you simply steer with your hands and feet, same as a C152 pilot on his first solo flight.

Sorry, didn't go to GIA. Flew corporate, aircraft sales and flight instructed.

Why can I only "descent" with the autopilot off? FLCH, VS and VNAV seem to work fine with or without the AP engaged. I was only referencing that anyways to the "how long is final" that alot of guys seem to use to figure out how much boards to use on the downwind.

As much as you can't believe it, I handfly the airplane a lot...without the "AutoThrottles."

WOW-

A real pilot who "handflies" the airplane!!!! He even flew corporate and flight instructed! What an amazing guy!

-I'll bet he even uses a formula to figure the exact ft-lbs required to spank it!

I disagree with quite a bit of what you said. The regionals attitude has morphed somewhat from my experience when I was there, and the attitude is reflected here. Regardless, I have earned the right to be critical of their triteness, as I have indeed walked the walk. It is the triteness I attempted to address with like minded triteness so that they may reflect on their words and perhaps learn something. I have tried the rational approach with them, and they just don't get it. On to tough love. I do, however, thank you for your input. I don't put the emphasis on spelling, so don't worry. I consider the "spelling argument" trite as well. ;)

My friend, if you use the handful of soles on this site for you basis of your opinion of Regional pilots,than you yourself, are trite and ignorant!

Latest resources

Back