Comair stopped Hiring?Asking for Leaves

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
?'s

You guys gotta' help out the slow people like myself:) If Comair is furloughing folks for a short time and stopping classes, then why are they still interviewing ( I interview in a few weeks). Also, how long does it take to get a class date NOW after an interview. HOG

Col Hogan,

I think we have figured out that Comair is not actually furloughing anyone, rather they are offering short temporary leaves (like a month or two) when their orders for RJ's slow down this summer(?). It sounds like it has happened to them in the past. They probably are still hiring. If you do interview with them, make sure you ask around to the other interviewees and see if there are any furloughed Delta pilots interviewing. Then ask why or why not? They will probably blame the Delta MEC. Good luck.

Bye Bye---General Lee:cool: :p

Heard from a source who just got back from Montreal that the reason for the Leave of Absence is simply a training burp..Apparently the 70 is such a good investment that we are getting more deliveries of them at a faster rate, and in turn are taking less 50 seat deliveries. This leaves us with more 50 seat people than we originally needed. We have basically hired too many 50 seat people because we thought we'd be getting more 50's. Instead we're gonna get more 70's..

Also heard that up in Montreal there are "certain" pictures of 90 seaters...with a certain tail number already painted on them..? anybody have any idea?

Well know more when...

... Delta begins talks with pilots on pay cuts. You can bet the 70-seat limit, 90 seat and other scope will be on the table. The additional 70-seaters coming to Comair is just a reponse to ASA being in contract talks. 57 is the current limit, but I bet that goes away when the cuts start. As for mainline flying them, good luck.

Flaps,

Why in the world would we give pay cuts AND relief on scope? In fact, I sincerely hope that my MEC is of the belief that concessions should buy us something. More airplanes (regardless of the size) are just part of the package we should get in return for any sacrifice we make.

CRJ,

If there is in fact a picture of a 90-seater in Delta colors, than I am looking forward to flying it. Of course you know that any airplane over 70 seats must be flown by Delta pilots, according to our contract. I hope that you are not in favor of "taking our airplanes?" If so, than why stop at 90 seats? Should we allow DCI our 737's? Why stop there? How about our 777s?

ok

No, I have no idea who will fly what and when. All I was saying is that when you open yourselves up to pay cuts, ect. scope will again come up. I think both scope and pay will change. You may not.
Who flys what is just as important to the bottom line as pay cuts are. In the current environment mainline will have to give something, now what do you think the top 50% would rather give up ? Their pay or more 70-seaters ? I'd say it will be some combination of relaxing scope somewhat and modest pay cuts. There is talk about not giving an inch, getting the 1060 back, but in private the top 50% want to make sure their pension is still there and they keep salary just where it is. I'm not slamming anyone, just being realistic about what people say and what they actually do.
Also, I just don't see guys taking a pay cut to provide 70-seat jobs for mainline.

Last edited:
Reports from YUL are that a 90-seater is painted in Comair colors. Why is that? Nothing more than a marketing effort by bombardier. Comair is still their #1 customer and is the airline that was with bombardier from the very beginning. I've been told (never saw it) that there was a 50-seater painted half-comair and half-cityline back when they were initially marketing that aircraft. So a 90-seater painted in comair colors means nothing other than they're trying to sell it to Comair.

Don't forget, it only takes about 8-square feet of red, white and blue paint to make a comair airplane a skywest, or ASA airplane.

ON THE OTHER HAND...
Bombardier knows full well the scope limit on jets larger than 50 seats, yet they were given some reason to paint it in Comair colors. Somebody with their finger near the "buy" switch at Delta told them something.
But once again, I haven't seen the aircraft and have only talked to six or seven who have. I'm basing my speculations on what others have told me. The aircraft may not even exist.

FlyDeltaJets,
I was only repeating what someone who just got back from 70 training up in Monteal. I haven't even bid for the 70, the only way it benefits me in any way would be to have more senior guys get outta the way so I an get a slightly better line possibly in the 50.

Of course if we just got more 50's then that would help "my" cause better. Personally I'd rather keep getting more 50's which would mean more F/O's below me and a quicker upgrade, with lesser harm to mainline(Than with the 70/90).

Finding a happy medium between us and mainline would be a lot better than either totally pissing off mainline pilots or completing giving up on growth.

777's at DCI........

ALLRIGHT!!! COOL!!! I can't wait! One question, will I get paid more than $19.02/hr to fly one of those?

Latest resources

Back