• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here you go Surplus1

Date: 01/22/05 18:16:48
To: [email protected]
Subject: Comair management replies to MEC's invitation

*_Update:_* Late on Friday evening our vice-president of Flight Operations contacted MEC Chairman J.C. Lawson to work out a meeting with our newly appointed president, Fred Buttrell. They agreed to meet on the evening of Tuesday the 24th.

Your MEC will communicate with you on the issues discussed in this meeting shortly there after.(end)

My only question is why did it take all day Saturday for us to get this information? Wouldn't you think something so Important as this would be sent out Immediatly?....or as an afterthought! For those of you that think this MEC has your best interest in mind,and not their own, consider the above!

Last edited:
The 24th is a Monday. So which is it.....Monday the 24th or Tuesday, which is the 25th?

chperplt said:
Mike,

How can I take things less literally when you put it in such a way?

We need to work together to right the ship..

Hey, sorry. Really, I don't mean to piss you off. For me I just try not to take anything I read on this forum too seriously. I know sometimes people say things they don't really mean, or say things kinda tongue in cheek. It's tough on a forum for it to come accross that way when you mean it too.

I realize that we need to work together, but just like you guys, I get tired of all the blame for no cooperative effort being aimed at the Delta guys. Frankly, both side have done things that kill any effort at cooperation.
Michael

CMRoutlaw,

I agree that we don't live in a vacuum. When they last approached us about cuts, we asked how much growth for our investment. I got that straight from an MEC officer. They said, err growth, ya know. Well, one airplane = growth. How much sooner will you upgrade with that much growth? Remember, negotioations also do not exist in a vacuum. If we get something of value in return, we will give something of value to get it. Keep the faith. I think eventually you will see a narrowing of the pay diferencial between the 50 and the 70. I say that because it seems every one else is doing it and we are still a pretty junior airline. Look at the captain list. 7 or 8 years gets you into the top half of the list. If we trade the pay diference there it will not please the senior crowd but I don't think they have the votes to stop it. And again, other carriers have already done it. I am not in favor of this, I just look at the trend and the seniority and predict. Remember too, I said USAirways wasthrough, so what do I know!

spinproof said:
Just curious...how many furloughed pilots went to ASA..do you know?

Last time I looked, it was in the mid 20s

Most furloughed guys just can't afford to work here.

If we had been able to get furloughed guys longevity for pay purposes, I think the number would be much much higher.

FDJ2 said:
We do know that the application was considered in accordance with the ALPA Administrative Manual and C&BLs and after listening to all concerned parties the application was denied.

We also know that DAL was under no obligation to integrate lists regardless of the outcome of the PID and that the denial of the PID is not part of any claim against ALPA.
Jeesh, No, you are incorrect. Out of respect I will avoid the "L" word, since it seems like you at least try to get this stuff straight.

(1) The Delta MEC, specifically Chuck Giambusso, provided false and misleading information to the ALPA BOD regarding employment rights issues negotiated between ALPA and the Delta MEC. ALPA acknowledged this false information, although they knew better, and used the recently revised C&BL language with the term "operational integration" undefined to deny a proper PID application.

The existence of the secret side letter of agreement covering bid restricted second officers is not the smoking gun, but it proves what a complete sham the Delta MEC made of the 2000 BOD meeting. For the purposes of our discussion, it was the Delta MEC that killed the PID, directly resulting in the furlough of Delta pilots and further diversification of the portfolio being used to whipsaw ALPA groups against each other.

(2) We do not know the outcome of the denied PID because it never happened. Under US labor law, Delta would have been hard pressed to stop a single carrier petition if it had ALPA's weight behind it. This is a matter of law, not a matter of corportate whim. Employees have the right to band together for the purposes of collective bargaining and Companies are forced to recognize them.

In my opinion it is a lousy excuse for the Delta MEC, or anyone else, to explain away their malfeasance by saying - " sure, we lied, we started a civil war in ALPA, an we brought down the profession, but it does not matter because it was going to happen anyway. "
FDJ2 said:
We also know ...that the denial of the PID is not part of any claim against ALPA.
Of course it isn't. Because your MEC killed the PID, your pilots were furloughed while I upgraded. Your pilots are the guys who were damaged. Now these same guys will have the opportunity to fly E170's at Republic for $10 an hour less than I earn.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by FDJ2
We do know that the application was considered in accordance with the ALPA Administrative Manual and C&BLs and after listening to all concerned parties the application was denied.

We also know that DAL was under no obligation to integrate lists regardless of the outcome of the PID and that the denial of the PID is not part of any claim against ALPA.

Jeesh, No, you are incorrect. Out of respect I will avoid the "L" word, since it seems like you at least try to get this stuff straight.

What did I say that was incorrect?

(1) The Delta MEC, specifically Chuck Giambusso, provided false and misleading information to the ALPA BOD regarding employment rights issues negotiated between ALPA and the Delta MEC. ALPA acknowledged this false information, although they knew better, and used the recently revised C&BL language with the term "operational integration" undefined to deny a proper PID application.

Is this part of your claim/lawsuit? Could you be more specific as to what the false information was? Wasn't ALPA obliged to use the most current C&BLs when considering the PID? Your statement of fact seems more of a stringing together of your opinion as to what was said/interpretted and then pasting it to the denial of the PID.
The existence of the secret side letter of agreement covering bid restricted second officers is not the smoking gun, but it proves what a complete sham the Delta MEC made of the 2000 BOD meeting.

Can you back that up and post the secret letter and are we talking about the BOD or the PID?

For the purposes of our discussion, it was the Delta MEC that killed the PID, directly resulting in the furlough of Delta pilots and further diversification of the portfolio being used to whipsaw ALPA groups against each other.

Directly resulting in the furlough? That's a bit of a stretch. The furloughs were a direct result of 9-11 a FM event. Stretching your case doesn't add credibility to it.

(2) We do not know the outcome of the denied PID because it never happened.

We also know as a fact that the PID is not binding on Delta.

Under US labor law, Delta would have been hard pressed to stop a single carrier petition if it had ALPA's weight behind it.

An assumption based on no facts. You don't need a PID to file for single carrier status and you certainly don't need ALPA's blessing.

This is a matter of law, not a matter of corportate whim. Employees have the right to band together for the purposes of collective bargaining and Companies are forced to recognize them.

But then again you are not a Delta employee and that is recognized by law, so your point is moot.

In my opinion it is a lousy excuse for the Delta MEC, or anyone else, to explain away their malfeasance by saying - " sure, we lied, we started a civil war in ALPA, an we brought down the profession, but it does not matter because it was going to happen anyway. "

That of course is your spin on it. Could you please post what the specific lie was? Evidently this "lie" seems to be the cornerstone of why you believe the PID was denied and it appears that you believe that ALPA itself recognizes this very important lie, so why not push for another PID with the truth? Unless of course this is more spin then substance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDJ2
We also know ...that the denial of the PID is not part of any claim against ALPA.

Of course it isn't. Because your MEC killed the PID, your pilots were furloughed while I upgraded. Your pilots are the guys who were damaged. Now these same guys will have the opportunity to fly E170's at Republic for $10 an hour less than I earn.

Just curious, but are you interested in what was best for the profession or just your narrow agenda? If the PID was good for all in 1999 it must also be good for all in 2005.

Last edited:
Heavy Set said:
I actually spoke to a senior Comair Captian who told me thatverbatim (he expected to be merged into the DAL list according todate-of-hire)about 5-6 years ago (pre 9-11). No joke - he wasvery serious. You can slam Six all you want but I haveactually heard it myself.

Dont listen to heavy set, he's not a pilot, he probably pumps gas at a FBO.

He IS a pilot and I also have heard those same words from some senior capts here...yes a few years ago but still the same.

CRJ Driver said:
Dont listen to heavy set, he's not a pilot, he probably pumps gas at a FBO.

Oh you got me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Would you like a windshield wipe with your gas?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back