• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

comair lay-offs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We may be fat for Xmas, but I'm sure we'll have a significant increase in sick calls. What's the incentive to work thru Xmas when you're going to be furloughed Jan 1?

Hmm, I don't know maybe because we are professionals we should show up for work when we are scheduled to work. Maybe we missed a few people last year during christmas, we could always strive for perfection and strand another 30k trying to get home to see ma and pa. The job sucks, but you still shine your shoes and press your shirt and get the cheap bastards from a to b.

Yeah, easy to say until they are unceremoniously kicking your butt out the door on Jan 1st.

Then you have two choices. You can either be a professional, show up and fly your trip, spend Christmas Eve and Christmas day in some dive-hotel in the middle of nowhere...

...or you can show them the same dedication that they are showing you and enjoy the holiday with your family.

<shrug>

I'm a "wear your hat" kind of guy, but in THIS case, I wouldn't look down upon someone nomatter which decision they made.

Being furloughed is the company's way of saying, "we don't need you anymore".

Ok. If you don't need me, then good luck staffing the holidays. They're not waiting until after the holidays to furlough to be NICE!!! They're doing it because they're not STUPID.

With all of these furloughs occuring at the regional level, how will this impact the hiring over the next couple of years. Will they likely be calling pilots back by mid 2006 or will this scale-back be on for a while.

The other regionals that aren't furloughing, have they stopped hiring. If they haven't, will preference be given to furloughed pilots.

Where is all this flying going. I thought when the mainlines cut back, the regionals could flourish by picking up these routes.

I'll be more competitive early next year, but it seems like there won't be any jobs for a while.

Any forecasters?

StaySeated said:
Hmm, I don't know maybe because we are professionals we should show up for work when we are scheduled to work. Maybe we missed a few people last year during christmas, we could always strive for perfection and strand another 30k trying to get home to see ma and pa. The job sucks, but you still shine your shoes and press your shirt and get the cheap bastards from a to b.

Dude....

You are a TOOL!

It's guys like you that allow management to get away with the crap they do.

It's one thing to have a professional attitude toward piloting the aircraft, your fellow crew, and toward the passengers, which I always demand from myself and those around me....

It's another thing to treat the bastards who are among the most cynical human beings on earth...corporate management.....like anything more than the scumbags they are.

Call in sick for Christmas!

Yeah, what he said!
screw management
tell them Papa

StaySeated said:

That has also been my attitude since going to work for Comair, even on reserve, holidays, when I was getting hosed, etc., because that's just the job. Hell, I sat ready reserve on Christmas eve & Christmas Day last year in CVG, as a commuter, knowing full well that I would not be used, because that was my duty.
But now I feel like someone whose marriage partner has committed an infidelity. I entered into a covenant with the company and held up my end of the bargain. Now the company is breaking its promises, abrogating its responsibilities and obligations. I feel cheated on, and quite frankly, embarrassed.
I'm not saying what I'll do, nor advising anyone else what to do, but I can say that it's harder to fulfill ones own responsibilities to a company which no longer is fulfilling its responsibilities to its employees. How many would be willing to be faithful to a cheating spouse?

The company has a need. You have a need. "Honey/kids, I'm spending xmas in Detroit, JFK, Kalamazoo... on my overnight. The company needs me. Come Jan 1st, I'll be spending all my time at home after I'm furloughed." Employees didn't abandon loyalty to their employer, it was the other way around. If you still believe that your company needs you and can't continue without you, you are living in the 50's. Tell June and the Beav I said Hi.

My perspective

I can't even believe I am hearing this. People if you can't hold a holiday off because of your seniority then show up to work. I understand that everybody has a family and wants to be home but thats life. Everybody including myself on the bottom of the comair seniority knew what they were getting into when we signed up. No major growth has been in sight for some time know. We will work the holidays. For several years!!! If you can't get over that leave know and go to another airline were growth is good. Or leave the industy. This is not about the company turning it's back at all or any of that junk. It is about being on the bottom in a seniority based business. I could very well be furloughed close to the first of the year. This does not make me happy in any way. However, I will see everyone in the skies on Thanksgiving and Christmas. I will continue to show up to work until they stop paying me. When they stop paying me I will not show up for work.

Latest resources

Back