Comair hires Delta pilots...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ch,

It is sometimes cheaper to put smaller aircraft on certain routes and aid them by the use of 37's. as well. I think DAL has pulled mainline aircraft off of many routes replacing them with rj's and this may not have worked as good as once thought. There is a major problem at DAL, when you replace mainline flying and jobs you may be helping ASA/CMR out but it does little for DAL since in reality ya'll are suppose to be feeding mainline. Some of the routes that cannot justify a 37 then by all means bring the rj's in but on other once profitable routes you must bring back mainline or DAL isn't going to return to it's glory days. I anticipate you will probably start seeing something along these lines in the relatively near future. What is in place now isn't really working, agree?

3 5 0

sweptback said:
How do you know what routes are profitable? Just because the plane is full does not mean the flight is profitable.
Good point, that is what management is for. The only obvious thing that the outsiders know is that what is happening present day really isn't working very well. And when you continue to loose money then one can "expect" change in some form.

3 5 0

sweptback said:
How do you know what routes are profitable? Just because the plane is full does not mean the flight is profitable.
If a full plane is not profitable....the problem is generally not the aircraft/crew, it's what the company chooses to charge for the seats. Tickets have gotten ridiculously cheap - so much so that the airlines can't make any money even with full flights. That's just stupid business.

No, actually it's been less than two years, December of 02' to be exact, since Delta asked us to hire their furloughees. You must be thinking of the four years it's been since Comair put in the PID, which could have solved the problem way back then. There would have been no need to hire Delta pilots, as none would have been furloughed, and there would be no problem with RJ's taking away anyone's jobs. But, that would have been too simple, wouldn't it?

Last edited:
SDD:

Of course you are right. This scope problem is the creation of the Delta MEC, they negotiated it. Yet, their pilots' will not hold their own MEC responsible for the mess they have gotten them ( and all of ALPA ) into.

Delta now has plans to shrink to profitability while increasing fares for premium service - lots of luck. It will be difficult to pay down those debts with less revenue.

Comair probably looks like a decent near term lifeboat for the Delta MEC who has 1,500 pilots about to have their ship sink beneath them. These guys will be pariahs when they go looking for work at other airlines - much like the Eastern guys, they will be charaterized as the pilots responsible for killing Delta.

~~~^~~~

Last edited:
skydiverdriver said:
No, actually it's been less than two years, December of 02' to be exact, since Delta asked us to hire their furloughees.
So? They had to ask... Instead of making a good-faith gesture right off the bat after 9/11, you waited until the Delta MEC asked for your help. Now you wonder why the whole one-list deal seems so much more far fetched? By Waiting for the better part of 1.5 years, you created the start of some serious animosity.

skydiverdriver said:
You must be thinking of the four years it's been since Comair put in the PID, which could have solved the problem way back then. There would have been no need to hire Delta pilots, as none would have been furloughed, and there would be no problem with RJ's taking away anyone's jobs. But, that would have been to simple, wouldn't it?
No one had a crystal ball and saw what the morning of 9/11 had in store... Mabye if the Delta MEC had magic powers they would have agreed to a one-list scenario. But things were much rosier back then. They didn't see and impending furlough of 1000+ and the cease of growth. Hindsight is 20/20, I just think this gesture towards DAL is too little too late....IMHO

T-Gates said:
No one had a crystal ball and saw what the morning of 9/11 had in store... Mabye if the Delta MEC had magic powers they would have agreed to a one-list scenario. But things were much rosier back then. They didn't see and impending furlough of 1000+ and the cease of growth. Hindsight is 20/20, I just think this gesture towards DAL is too little too late....IMHO
It did not take a crystal ball to see what would happen when Delta's costs realized the effect of Contract 2000. I certainly did not know about 9/11 ahead of time, but I wrote on this board's predecessor that C2K would result in a Delta BK petition in October 04 to March 2005.

Any costs Delta had related to 9/11 were pretty much reimbursed by the US taxpayers. The only number I did not have in my analysis back then was the fuel costs and Delta found more financing than I thought they would. These numbers pretty much cancelled eachother out, although with more long term harm to Delta.

~~~^~~~

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back