Comair hires Delta pilots...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
~~~^~~~ said:
It did not take a crystal ball to see what would happen when Delta's costs realized the effect of Contract 2000. I certainly did not know about 9/11 ahead of time, but I wrote on this board's predecessor that C2K would result in a Delta BK petition in October 04 to March 2005.

Any costs Delta had related to 9/11 were pretty much reimbursed by the US taxpayers. The only number I did not have in my analysis back then was the fuel costs and Delta found more financing than I thought they would. These numbers pretty much cancelled eachother out, although with more long term harm to Delta.

~~~^~~~
I'm not sure how anyone can say with any degree of certainty that DL would be in the same crisis there in now had 9/11 not occurred. It's just pure conjecture....

skydiverdriver said:
After negotiating with the Delta MEC, the Comair MEC has agreed to ask thier management to hire furloughed Delta pilots without having to give up their seniority at Delta. This is confirmed on the current Comair VARS message.

I wonder what the Delta pilots plan to do for us in return?

You wait two years to open the doors to us and now that DAL is recalling, you offer to hire furloughed Delta pilots...and then in the next sentence want to know what the Delta Pilots plan on doing for you??? Are you kidding me?

This is what we plan on doing for you, we plan on not letting another Comair pilot get hired at Delta. This gesture didn't change anything. You think one single Delta pilot is going to accept a job at Comair when Delta is recalling 30-50 a month.

I wouldn't have taken a job two years ago because I couldn't afford to live on $1250 a month first year but there were quite a few that would have liked the opportunity. This isn't personal for me but it is for a lot of guys so don't think that we are all awestruck by your transparent generosity.

T-gates, I think you have it backwards. Of course they had to ask, the Comair MEC has no control over whether the Comair management hires Delta pilots or not. When we asked for the PID, they refused to even talk to us. But when they want something, we are supposed to just roll over? Why does it only make sense to you for us to be nice to them when something bad is happening to them, but not for them to do something nice to us (and required by law) when bad things are happening to us? I don't see the distinction.

As for bigebe02, no, I'm not kidding you. Why should we help you, when you refused to even TALK to us about following your legal obligations? We all know that the request for hiring Delta pilots was just a ploy to make us look bad. Your MEC chairman just went back and promplty lied about it to your members. Why should we do something for you, for nothing, when you will do nothing for us? Can you answer that for me?

Anyway, as you said, most of your guys dont' want the job anyway. I'm sure you would have said the same thing if we had offered two years ago.

Last edited:
You wait two years to open the doors to us and now that DAL is recalling, you offer to hire furloughed Delta pilots...and then in the next sentence want to know what the Delta Pilots plan on doing for you??? Are you kidding me?

Well said, the only good thing is justice should prevail when all is said and done and DAL starts hiring pilots. When that day comes I can already see the smiles of those who are sitting on the interview board. These moves will not be forgotten....

3 5 0

Isn't it funny how the regional guys push for things like one seniority list.....because, apparently, they are OWED a job at a Major.....but then they won't help out when their "brothers"(or so they are called when pushing for that single list) could use it...? Of course, they always have a reason...."oh, they didn't integrate the seniority lists when we asked them to"...or some BS like that...but eventually it becomes a matter of the chicken and the egg...who "screwed" who first? Some things will never change..

skydiverdriver said:
T-gates, I think you have it backwards. Of course they had to ask, the Comair MEC has no control over whether the Comair management hires Delta pilots or not. When we asked for the PID, they refused to even talk to us. But when they want something, we are supposed to just roll over? Why does it only make sense to you for us to be nice to them when something bad is happening to them, but not for them to do something nice to us (and required by law) when bad things are happening to us? I don't see the distinction.

As for bigebe02, no, I'm not kidding you. Why should we help you, when you refused to even TALK to us about following your legal obligations? We all know that the request for hiring Delta pilots was just a ploy to make us look bad. Your MEC chairman just went back and promplty lied about it to your members. Why should we do something for you, for nothing, when you will do nothing for us? Can you answer that for me?

Anyway, as you said, most of your guys dont' want the job anyway. I'm sure you would have said the same thing if we had offered two years ago.
First, what Legal obligations are you referring to?

Second, the Delta Pilots haven't done anything for you? Weren't you around when Delta was hiring? Delta was giving preferential interviews to ASA and Comair. In my class of 20 there were 11 Military and 9 Civilians. Out of those 9 Civilians two were Comair and two were ASA. That is 40% of the Civilian population.

"""Why should we do something for you, for nothing, when you will do nothing for us? Can you answer that for me?"""

If that is your attitude, then don't do anything for us "for nothing". Just at least be consistent. This entire time you didn't do anything for us, now you want to? WTFO.

Third, I never said most didn't want the job. I said I couldn't afford it but I know alot would have liked to option. We never asked for Date of Hire or anything obnoxious like that.

P.S. What is this PID thing you referred to? And what makes it required by law?

This is what we plan on doing for you, we plan on not letting another Comair pilot get hired at Delta. This gesture didn't change anything. You think one single Delta pilot is going to accept a job at Comair when Delta is recalling 30-50 a month.

Dont you think that there is a reason for the Delta MEC to work out a deal with Comair. As skydriver implied, there will more than likely be MORE furloughs. The last word that was put out at the road shows a few months back was a total work force of 5000 pilots. Recalls are only ocuring becasue Delta was forced to. Will reitrements compensate for the numbers, I surely hope so, but I dought it. There has to be a plan brewing that the Delta MEC is working on to bring the excess furloughs to the DCI property (which I fully agree with). Hence the agreement. He wouldn't need it if all of the recalls were to happen. My guess is more 70's with the stipulation that some Delta furloughs get to fly them. But it is anyones guess.

I find all of this chest beating and finger pointing very amusing. Did the Comair MEC ask any of the rank and file what they thought about hiring (or not hiring) DL pilots? Did the Delta MEC ask thier represented how they thought Comair should be dealt with? Most of the time, these decisions are simply made behind closed doors, and we are only informed of the results later. The pilot groups then look at each other as if every single individual is responable for all the evils of the other. WHEN WILL YOU GUYS GROW THE HELL UP? Learn to talk to each other like people and let various leadership elements engage in thier pissing contests. That is thier job. The rest of us just fly the planes and pay the bills. I swear, reading this board is like listening to 5th graders argue sometimes. All of this acrimony between ASA/CMR and Delta was CREATED by the same leadership that we look towards to solve the problem. Does anyone else see the contradiction? Until this "mine's bigger/faster/better/more efficient/cheaper" mentality is conquered and both sides come to the realization that the others are a groups of skilled professionals and worthy comrades, these wasteful power games will continue.

Comair MEC was not prepared to take a paycut in order for Delta furloughs to work there. Fact is Comair would have to expend some negotiating capital at a time when managment was already knocking on the door for concessions. If Delta wants their own furloughs working, Comair is not going to pay for it. If it was a matter of "sure, come on over" it would have been done, but alas thats not the whole story.

Latest resources

Back