• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan Sick Calls?????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was looking over our official "Crewmember Handbook" while laying in bed trying to recover from a herniated disk, and it states that Sick leave is a privilege and not a benefit...I never really realized what small value they place upon all the hardwork and BS that we deal with everyday. I have absolutely flown sick, injured or disabled for the last time at CJC. I have always tried to be a "company man" and "pilot group man" from day one. With my main loyalty to the people I work with everyday. My faith in our systems control (dispatch, crew sked and maint. control) is just about nil these days. It is amazing to me how the management has such an uncanny knack for alienating their best people.
For example, I was told that a member of my crew wasn't my personal responsibility. B**S***. A brand-new 22 year old with 335 hours TT is my responsibility until we are off-duty whether I called off sick during the pairing or not...It's called being an airline pilot! Anyway, this Hydrocodone and Flexeril is really kicking in rant complete!

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

First I hope you feel better, enjoy the hydrocodine and Fexeril. This crap is a perfect example of why the we need someone who's responsibility is to look out for us. This shows who is not. The writing is on the wall people.

Hey Mikey, is'nt that why you have reserves?

hmmm. oh yeah, he doesn't have reserves because they love understaffing. That's one of the reasons they love outstation basing, because they know you won't screw over your friends. If there are only 4 FO's at XXX base, and number One gets sick, one of his buddies has to work on a day off etc. to cover. They love that.

these smaller airlines just don't get it. There is a pilot shortage at the lower levels and you can't operate an airline without pilots. Small airlines should be looking for ways to attract and retain pilots not drive them away. Colgan is one of the carriers that may end up in a "death spiral" with pilots leaving faster than they can be replaced causing additional pressure to be placed on existing crews, creating even MORE attrition until the company can't operate anymore. The only way they have a chance at sving themselves is to build a reputation as a good place to work that offers good schedules and quality of life and a management that treats pilots fairly and with respect. Pilot pushing will not be a successful strategy for small airlines in today's world.

Words of WISDOM!!!

Latest resources

Back