• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan Sick Calls?????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We would always have to get one at PDT. Had a Capt call in sick, got asked for note, caught a taxi to the hospital (too un-well to drive), got $3000 in exams, and caught taxi home. Company required by contract to pay for all expenses. Never got asked for note again.

We would always have to get one at PDT. Had a Capt call in sick, got asked for note, caught a taxi to the hospital (too un-well to drive), got $3000 in exams, and caught taxi home. Company required by contract to pay for all expenses. Never got asked for note again.

LOL!!!

That's awesome.

It's just simple intimidation. The company always assumes that every time a pilot calls in sick they are playing hooky. Well this is certainly true in some cases and I don't condone it the reality is that a lot of sick calls are legitimate and pilots do a job where they can't come to work with certain conditions that wouldn't prevent others with ground jobs from working. Intimidation just causes sick pilots to fly and makes more people sick. If you really are sick you can probably buy a few extra days off with a doctor's excuse which can actually defeat the company logic. I don't work for Colgan but it seems to me that these smaller airlines just don't get it. There is a pilot shortage at the lower levels and you can't operate an airline without pilots. Small airlines should be looking for ways to attract and retain pilots not drive them away. Colgan is one of the carriers that may end up in a "death spiral" with pilots leaving faster than they can be replaced causing additional pressure to be placed on existing crews, creating even MORE attrition until the company can't operate anymore. The only way they have a chance at sving themselves is to build a reputation as a good place to work that offers good schedules and quality of life and a management that treats pilots fairly and with respect. Pilot pushing will not be a successful strategy for small airlines in today's world.

You see, there are ways to deal with these things in a constructive, proactive manner!

Colgan is a death spiral. These morons created the bed they will sleep in. The don't have any new FOs? Gee I wonder why. You can only abuse people for so long before the word is out. Believe me, the word is out.....

Called in sick last week . Response was we don't have anybody to cover, like I was supposed to change my mind. If I remember correctly I earned the sick day. They covered all flights. This company will never have enough pilots to function like other airlines.

I called in sick once while I was at Colgan and was told I needed a doctor's note. It was nowhere close to a holiday either. Thanks Gina!

Latest resources

Back