Colgan Hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey guys...wake up call...

It SUCKS at most regionals. The grass is not much greener at any other regional (except for perhaps in chperplt's case). I worked at Eagle and Colgan and experienced equal levels of suckiness at both places. It really wasn't that bad at either place unless you came in with high expectations.

Just remember it's a 20k a year gig. Of course it sucks.

Lets see....1000pic in a 1900 or 1000pic in a 145RJ....hmmmm I wonder who gets the job.

Not all time is equal. Wait and get a job with the possibility of "Jet" time. Unless you know someone at the Majors who's gonna walk your stuff in.

beechcowboy said:
The upgrades may be quick in the beech, but where are you planning on going with your beech PIC???........... Let's face it, the majors won't be looking for a beech PIC any time soon, especially when there are gobs of ERJ/CRJ PICs floating around just chomping at the bit.

Signed,

Disappointed

You don't know what you're talking about. Granted I had some military time to go w/my 1900 PIC at CJC (3000+), but it got me where I wanted, and plan to stay. I know of other guys, and gals here that had no other 121 PIC or Mil eqivilant experience, but the 1900. Don't sell the mighty Beech short -- they know if you've flown it for a couple of years, most likely you're a well above average pilot. Then the ball is in your court to do something about it! Colgan certainly wasn't the best of places, to say the least, but if your "disappointed", get off your a$$ and; 1) ask to be a check airman, 2) go to job fairs, even though they're a ripoff, 3) get your resume out, 4) find people you know at places you want to go, or 5) bail.

BSkin said:
You don't know what you're talking about. Granted I had some military time to go w/my 1900 PIC at CJC (3000+), but it got me where I wanted, and plan to stay. I know of other guys, and gals here that had no other 121 PIC or Mil eqivilant experience, but the 1900. Don't sell the mighty Beech short -- they know if you've flown it for a couple of years, most likely you're a well above average pilot. Then the ball is in your court to do something about it! Colgan certainly wasn't the best of places, to say the least, but if your "disappointed", get off your a$$ and; 1) ask to be a check airman, 2) go to job fairs, even though they're a ripoff, 3) get your resume out, 4) find people you know at places you want to go, or 5) bail.
Right on, Skin. I feel for ya, Beechcowboy, but quit being such a little baby. Go to aviationinterviews.com and study up before the interview. They're have been hiring into the Saab, but it sounds like they're going to get a class or two of 1900s to make up for the upgrades. There is a lot of growth here, and it's looking good. Skin is right on the money, you're going to get the cold, hard, shaft at most regionals, except here you don't have to waiste 2% of your income on useless union dues. Things could be worse, you could be stuck in the right seat of a ERJ-145 for three to six years, right Popeye? Just kidding. Listen guys, the poor fella asked for information about Colgan, so let the fellas from Colgan dish out the info and find another thread about your own airline to sing the praises of sitting in the right seat of a computer game, wherein the pay is the same, 'tis only the egos that are bigger.

On the line, this is the best bunch of guys... Good luck in the interview and PM me if you need anything or have any questions. Let us all know how you did, and perhaps try a search on previous posts about Colgan. There's lots of good info from the past.

Shy

Correction, if your almighty goal in life is AIRTRAN, North American, Citation Shares, then the 1900 PIC will be of future assistance. BUT realistically, I have talked to the head recruiters at America West, Southwest, Continental, etc. and asked them all the very same question... If I were to walk my resume in your door a year from now, and an RJ capt. were to walk his in the door at the same time, who would be the most attractive to you. ANSWER: RJ WHY you ask???

Too many reasons to list. If you know somebody, it might be a little different. Let's just be really honest with ourselves. Continental is starting to hire a little, if they get 1000 apps for their positions, and only need to fill 500 positions, AND 200 of those apps are B1900 pilots w/ 1000 or more PIC, AND all other apps are jet PICs, how many B1900 guys do you honestly think are getting hired? Be honest and remember, it is post 9/11. That being said, congrats to those of you who have stepped to the next level. Personally, I don't wish to go to Airtran, but if it was your goal to go there, then the means has justified the end, and you have reason to be happy.

All other things being equal, I've gotta go change my diaper and get my pacifier. C'mon now guys, disgruntled and disappointed in the way myself and fellow crews are treated does not make me a baby, as you previously mentioned. AND, you are right, grass ain't always greener, especially at Eagle, but faded green is better than brown. Its all in what you are looking for, one person's trash is another's treasure.

If i remember correctly The majors use to hire turbo prop pic, because all the regional were turbo prop. Now with the 90 seaters that use to be A main line pass. number when the majors hire they will be looking at type of exper. It will be interesting to see who Cont. hires this year and NW hires next year or the next depending on when they call all their guys back. I don't think we can look at friends that work at majors and see what type of exper. they got hired with. This is a differant industry.
Type of pic and type ratings shows what type of training you can make it threw. Good luck to everyone. There are enough pieces of this pie for everyone.

Some of you need to worry more about education requirements and less about whether you're in a jet or a turboprop.

It's USED to not USE...and make it THROUGH not THREW! Sorry for the rant...

LandRoverNut said:
If i remember correctly The majors use to hire turbo prop pic, because all the regional were turbo prop.

Exactly my point, used to! This is a different industry now, it might take more than the Beech PIC to get you up the ladder with all the other competition out there.

Since I saw education mentioned, what ever happened to having a college degree to fly in the airlines. I see Continental is only listing a degree as "preferred". Does that mean my B.S. in BS and my Master's are now less valuable? Does a jet PIC w/o college trump a Beech PIC w/ a graduate degree? Oh lord, stop the insanity, these arguments could go on forever. I think I will just move to Presque Isle, build a log cabin, and become a Colgan lifer / recluse. Maybe write a book about VMC or Mach tuck in my spare time.

vtchaz said:
Some of you need to worry more about education requirements and less about whether you're in a jet or a turboprop.

It's USED to not USE...and make it THROUGH not THREW! Sorry for the rant...

Is that like screw, not scrough. I got scroughed today by skeduling. I wish thay wood pey mee moor.

Your rant is justified, I cannot stand crappy grammar and poor spelling. There is nothing worse than your company web site having spelling errors all over it.

What's the matter beechcowboy? Did somebody still your boots or scoal or something? Go to work, backup down a runway 2000 feet in reverse and get back in the game!

Latest resources

Back