• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan And Skywest Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Did you attend the last RJDC meeting? My bet says "yes." You guys are pathetic.......

Just go ahead and tilt at some more windmills. RJDC is a mgmt-contrived org set up for the express purpose of screwing ALPA.

As for the teamsters-you have to be kidding me! We had a jumpseater the other day who represented by the teamsters and says they are nothing but crap! They won't even open their books to the locals to show where their dues go. Besides-when you need help from ALPA, they at least have some idea what highly technical things like "MEL" and "APU" mean.

Just be sure to fill out that RJDC check-as for me, I'll save that money. I don't desire to help mgmt out any more than I have to.
-Rock, Rock

Jmoney,

you're missing what I am attempting to say. Representation is a must for all carriers and none more so that Colgan and Skywest. What I am saying is know full well what you are getting into prior to getting in!!!

ALPA facts, aero medical outstanding have used them myself in the past and they are second to none.

ALPA legal, another good bet as they will go thru hell and high water to protect those in trouble of losing their careers to BS.

ALPA will spend money on trying to get a good contract and none more obvious than at MESABA. We got a breif from Chris Beebe and were told that the MCF was damned near broke because of all the money spent on MESABA. TO that I say H ell yes twice because that's what the union is supposed to be about!!

Now the beef many of us have is ALPA leaves a lot to be desired when politics are played. The union is only as strong as it constitution and bylaws. When those are violated in the name of saving ALPA then there is a huge problem.

You need to do some research in to what ALPA was to what it's become. There was a time when ALPA offerend to mortage all it had to defend UAL in a strike against Dick Ferris and UAL management!! That's union Jmoney!!! Now ALPA is more concerned with making money then defending it's responsibilities.

Again representation is an absolute MUST but know and understand all.

WD.

Just because a rank-and-file member perceives that they were screwed by ALPA, doesn't make it so. You seem to be more concerned with emotions and perceptions rather than facts and figures. Please present some actual facts that back up your claim that ALPA intentionally screwed the TWA pilots. Until then, it's nothing but a bunch of hot air.

ALPA is following the C & BLs. Not sure what they have to do with this issue, however, since the C & BLs do not contain ALPA merger policy. Merger policy is found in the Admin Manual. But ALPA is following that too. Perhaps you could point out a specific part of Section 45 that you feel ALPA is violating.

Do I need to go and get some of the TWA pilots
and bring them to this thread to once again put you in your place PCL??? ALPA sold them out in an attempt to hopefully bring AA as a whole into ALPA. It failed and now you see the results.

What do you think the admin manual is PCL??? It is part of the bylaws of this association and no they are not being followed. Prater is playing politics in an attempt to starve off an weak decert effort in the east. Get the full education prior to speaking PCL, your foot has been in your mouth more than once by now it's got to hurt..

We got a breif from Chris Beebe and were told that the MCF was damned near broke because of all the money spent on MESABA.

Alright, now I'm questioning whether you're even a rep at all. There's not a chance that Captain Beebe told you that, because the MCF is self-sustaining with a current balance in excess of $80 million. The OCF is practically broke (to the point that the EC and EB are considering a change to policy to allow money to be transferred from the MCF to the OCF), but the OCF has absolutely nothing to do with the money spent on XJ's bankruptcy.

In fact, the TWA pilots can blame their predicament on the fact that ALPA wasn't the representative at AMR.
First of all, we have written proof that ALPA continued their campaign to get the APA to rejoin after the TWA purchase was announced. Second, as per instructions of our MEC our ALPA-National supplied merger attorney was about to file court injunction papers to stop Supplement CC from being implemented -- until Woerth ordered him to stop. Turned out he worked for Woerth and not for the TWA MEC (a mistake not repeated at AWA). Lastly, where was the outrage at ALPA brethren being screwed by another union? Where were the billboards, newspaper adds, pickets, handouts, anything other than a wimper? If I were an APA member at the time I'd be thinking to myself, "Why would I want to rejoin a union that so easily abandons its own?" Incidentally, the internal APA drive to rejoin ALPA petered-out after the TWA acquisition.
If this was an ALPA/ALPA merger, then they would have ended up much better off.
How can you say that, especially considering that you disagree with Nicolau's ruling? There's no guarantee an arbitrator would've given us anything better that what the APA did. Still, we would've loved the opportunity to have the fair process that ALPA Merger Policy entails. And unlike the USAir MEC and YOU I would've accepted the arbitrator's decision and not spitefullly tried to screw the other side.
As it turned out, the TWA MEC was left with two options: give up the scope protections governing mergers and save the jobs of the pilot group, or try to hold on to it and AMR will just allow TWA to go chapter 7 and cherry-pick the assets at auction with zero pilots to go with them.
It's true what they say, if you tell an untruth often enough you start to believe it. I'll type this slowly so you can understand it: the TWA sale to AA would've gone through regardless of whether our MEC agreed to give up successorship clauses! The bankruptcy judge stated (erroneously, as it turned out) that he couldn't cherry-pick parts of our CBA to change; he could only do nothing or abrogate the whole thing. Our MEC acted to keep intact the rest of our CBA. AA wasn't going to let a pesky pilots' union get in their way. If they'd wanted TWA to go Chap 7 they wouldn't have gone forward with their DIP financing.
ALPA had no way to defend against this,...
Well, it was the Woerth-controlled attorney who advised our MEC to give up our successorship clauses. Hard to tell whose interests he was really representing. And BTW, that attorney I'm talking about, Roland Wilder, is the same guy the Easties are using to sue the AWA MEC. Go figure.
However, it is blatantly obvious to everyone but the AWA pilot group that this award was not fair in the slightest, ...
Ha! I'd be willing to bet money that a poll of non-AWA/USA pilots would reveal something very different from what you presume.

Alright, now I'm questioning whether you're even a rep at all. There's not a chance that Captain Beebe told you that, because the MCF is self-sustaining with a current balance in excess of $80 million. The OCF is practically broke (to the point that the EC and EB are considering a change to policy to allow money to be transferred from the MCF to the OCF), but the OCF has absolutely nothing to do with the money spent on XJ's bankruptcy.

Well PCL think what you want but I mix it up with the national officers regularly and will again one week from today!!! As you can now see TWA DUDE has once AGAIN made you look like the d amn fool you are!!! There is going to come a time in your life when you are going to get sick of being made to look this way and at that point you will remove that foot from your mouth...

WD.

Jmoney,

you're missing what I am attempting to say. Representation is a must for all carriers and none more so that Colgan and Skywest. What I am saying is know full well what you are getting into prior to getting in!!!

ALPA facts, aero medical outstanding have used them myself in the past and they are second to none.

ALPA legal, another good bet as they will go thru hell and high water to protect those in trouble of losing their careers to BS.

ALPA will spend money on trying to get a good contract and none more obvious than at MESABA. We got a breif from Chris Beebe and were told that the MCF was damned near broke because of all the money spent on MESABA. TO that I say H ell yes twice because that's what the union is supposed to be about!!

Again representation is an absolute MUST but know and understand all.

WD.

You have said it yourself!!!!

Try to put this in the perspective of a Colgan pilot. If you knew what we go through out on the line at our company, you would have a different tone. It was already asked if you have ever worked at a non-union carrier. We are chomping at the bit to get some of the benifets that rank and file union pilots take for granted or don't even think of as a benifet.

Again I say that your anger is misplaced. You need to look at your MEC's and pilot groups.

It has been said many times that you need to elect good people to lead your union, and then you need to keep a close eye on them. I know there are plenty of people out there, particularly the reps who will say if you don't like it, get involved.

Good luck, and please support us in our quest for representation. Voting no and hoping a teamsters or other drive will materialize in a year is NOT an option. Besides, it would be the same debate then. I can hear it now. "What has the Teamsters done for Great Lakes?" Blah blah blah, they represent truckers not pilots, blah blah blah. We will be fighting the same union busting playbook that we are fighting now. I am going to repeat what you said. "Representation is an ABSOLUTE MUST"

Fred

Don't Delay Vote Today
www.alpa.org/colgan

WD...how is it that you feel that the rightfull place for a relative new hire at AWA on a combined seniority list is right in the middle of USAIR guys at that have 18+ years in?

The Nicolli award gave a windfall to the AWA guys. Everyone that is emotionally and financially detached from the situation can see that. The USAIR guys have a right to be pissed and you can bet that they will expend every resorce into vacating the award. Sadly decertifying ALPA at USAIR has the potential to achieve the same outcome.

WD...how is it that you feel that the rightfull place for a relative new hire at AWA on a combined seniority list is right in the middle of USAIR guys at that have 18+ years in?

The Nicolli award gave a windfall to the AWA guys. Everyone that is emotionally and financially detached from the situation can see that. The USAIR guys have a right to be pissed and you can bet that they will expend every resorce into vacating the award. Sadly decertifying ALPA at USAIR has the potential to achieve the same outcome.

The most junior active AWA pilot has every right to be ahead of the most senior furloughed East pilot. One pilot had a job, one did not. One had a reasonable expectation for career progression at their employer, the other didn't because they were not employed.

Young & junior West pilots absolutely should not have to pay the consequences of old & junior East pilots having had a crappy career.

First of all, we have written proof that ALPA continued their campaign to get the APA to rejoin after the TWA purchase was announced.

Even if such proof exists, it doesn't prove any impropriety existed. Nothing would preclude ALPA from representing the interests of the TWA pilots while at the same time having discussions with pilots at AMR about rejoining the Association.

Lastly, where was the outrage at ALPA brethren being screwed by another union? Where were the billboards, newspaper adds, pickets, handouts, anything other than a wimper? If I were an APA member at the time I'd be thinking to myself, "Why would I want to rejoin a union that so easily abandons its own?"
What would "outrage" have done? Again, emotion and perception is mentioned instead of pragmatism. All the outrage in the world wouldn't have changed your situation. Billboards, ads, pickets, handouts, etc... would have cost a great deal of money, and accomplished exactly nothing.

How can you say that, especially considering that you disagree with Nicolau's ruling? There's no guarantee an arbitrator would've given us anything better that what the APA did. Still, we would've loved the opportunity to have the fair process that ALPA Merger Policy entails.
While anything is certainly possible, it's highly unlikely that ALPA merger policy would have resulted in anything remotely resembling the screw-job that the APA forced upon the TWA pilots.

It's true what they say, if you tell an untruth often enough you start to believe it. I'll type this slowly so you can understand it: the TWA sale to AA would've gone through regardless of whether our MEC agreed to give up successorship clauses!
Maybe, maybe not. Apparently the ALPA attorneys disagreed with your assessment. If you're wrong and AMR allowed TWA to enter Chapter 7, then the TWA pilots would all have been permanently out of their jobs. That's a tough decision for any MEC to make.
I'd be willing to bet money that a poll of non-AWA/USA pilots would reveal something very different from what you presume.
I doubt it. Hey Mods, any chance we can put up a poll to find out what the FI crowd thinks?

Latest resources

Back