Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Wiskey Driver

Return of the Hub Raider
Think long and hard before you decide to have ALPA represent you!!! There seems to be a proven track record of ALPA favoring the larger carriers. They left TWA pilots high and dry and now they are not following their own constitution and bylaws regarding merger policy. Section 45 of ALPA merger policy clearly states that "ALL ARBITRATED DECISION ARE FINAL AND BINDING AND THAT ALPA WILL USE ALL RESOURCES TO DEFEND AWARDS". Alpa has yet to do this and has set up a committee in order to violate it's own policies in favor of the larger carrier.

Think long and hard who you want to represent you or against you...

WD.

I think the US Airways pilots would disagree with you that they favor larger carriers

The way I understand it is that the committee is there to explore alternative options, but the ruling is final. So maybe fence agreement, maybe other stuff??????

Can't say for sure, I am not involved. The important thing to see is that just because you are a larger carrier, ALPA does not necessarily favor you.

Why would ALPA be actively going after colgan? They will loose a lot of money on Colgan and they know it.
Think about it.

Last edited:
I think the US Airways pilots would disagree with you that they favor larger carriers

The way I understand it is that the committee is there to explore alternative options, but the ruling is final. So maybe fence agreement, maybe other stuff??????

Can't say for sure, I am not involved. The important thing to see is that just because you are a larger carrier, ALPA does not necessarily favor you.

Why would ALPA be actively going after colgan? They will loose a lot of money on Colgan and they know it.
Think about it.

Well that would all be well and good but name one arbitration that had ALPA suggest after the fact deals, name just one!!!!

Fences shoud have been on the table PRIOR to the arbitration not after. National needs to follow their bylaws and stay out of the politics regarding this merger. Now if AWA had UNITED, DELTA, NORTHWEST or even Prater's CONTINENTAL written on the side of our aircraft do you think for one minute that we would be having this debate??? Smart money says no way.

Prater/national stepped on their cranks and now are looking for a way out. Well their search is about to end in a massive DFR lawsuit...

You can't serve two masters!!!!

Prater/national stepped on their cranks and now are looking for a way out. Well their search is about to end in a massive DFR lawsuit...

You can't serve two masters!!!!

I don't want to get into a huge debate about this because it's not my battle, but how did "Prater" step on anyone's "crank". This merger followed ALPA policy and a totally independant arbitrator, agreed upon by both sides, made the decision. The arbitrator, from what I understand, told the US MEC that they needed to work with him and do some barganing or they wern't going to like what happened. From what I understand (casual observer) they didn't budge so they got what he said.

Bottom line is that ALPA's merger policy keeps them out of it. This was done by an independant arbitrator, who was agreed upon by both sides. That's it. Still not my fight.

The arguement for me is to have COLGAN represented. Tell me what you think about the current group representing the Colgan pilots. Ooops There isn't one. Anyone in their right mind would agree that the Colgan pilots need representation NOW!!! ANY delay would be very costly to our livelyhood. If this vote were to not pass it would be another year before we could try again.

The bigger percentage of yes votes we get, the stronger our position is! We need EVERY VOTE!

Don't delay, Vote today Colgan pilots!!

It's time to put the days of Jonathan Ornstein style whipsawing behind us.

www.alpa.org/colgan

WD-

Are you mgmt? Seriously, that was one of the dumbest posts this year. I don't think you really understand what is going on at AAA/AWA/ALPA National. It is a **** sandwitch, but national didn't make it happen. Two pilot groups unable/unwilling to find a reasonable solution (lots of arogance on both sides) combined with an arbitrator that made an award that is a bit tilted created the problem.

As far favoring major cariers, believe me, ALPA will spend more money at Colgan than they collect in dues from Colgan pilots...by a long shot.

Colgan pilots, I'm sorry you got purchased by Pinnacle. These guys are out to screw you. You will not be able to defend yourself, ALPA is the best option.

Vote yes and vote often.

Turbo

WD-

Are you mgmt? Seriously, that was one of the dumbest posts this year. I don't think you really understand what is going on at AAA/AWA/ALPA National. It is a **** sandwitch, but national didn't make it happen. Two pilot groups unable/unwilling to find a reasonable solution (lots of arogance on both sides) combined with an arbitrator that made an award that is a bit tilted created the problem.

As far favoring major cariers, believe me, ALPA will spend more money at Colgan than they collect in dues from Colgan pilots...by a long shot.

Colgan pilots, I'm sorry you got purchased by Pinnacle. These guys are out to screw you. You will not be able to defend yourself, ALPA is the best option.

Vote yes and vote often.

Turbo

No turbo I am not managemet, I am a sitting AWA ALPA rep!! There are other choices as well for representation. Now I know you guys don't have the horse power to get iit done with an in house union but did you ever consider teamsters??

Go to the majors forum and read about how ALPA is totally screwing our merger up. Yes TURBO ALPA not the west group and no the award was not tilted. If you had read it you would know that.

WD.

Last edited:
Think long and hard before you decide to have ALPA represent you!!! There seems to be a proven track record of ALPA favoring the larger carriers.

Absolutely ridiculous post, especially coming from a sitting status rep.

They left TWA pilots high and dry

ALPA did no such thing. The TWA pilots can whine and file lawsuits until they're blue in the face, but ALPA did nothing to screw them over. In fact, the TWA pilots can blame their predicament on the fact that ALPA wasn't the representative at AMR. If this was an ALPA/ALPA merger, then they would have ended up much better off. As it turned out, the TWA MEC was left with two options: give up the scope protections governing mergers and save the jobs of the pilot group, or try to hold on to it and AMR will just allow TWA to go chapter 7 and cherry-pick the assets at auction with zero pilots to go with them. ALPA had no way to defend against this, so the TWA MEC did what was best for their pilots and surrendered their scope/merger protections to facilitate the merger and save jobs.

and now they are not following their own constitution and bylaws regarding merger policy. Section 45 of ALPA merger policy clearly states that "ALL ARBITRATED DECISION ARE FINAL AND BINDING AND THAT ALPA WILL USE ALL RESOURCES TO DEFEND AWARDS". Alpa has yet to do this and has set up a committee in order to violate it's own policies in favor of the larger carrier.

Again, not even close to an accurate representation of facts. The EC and the President have defended the award and stated that it is binding. However, it is blatantly obvious to everyone but the AWA pilot group that this award was not fair in the slightest, and the AAA pilots might very well decertify in protest. The Association would be irresponsible not to try to work something out that would bring a more favorable resolution to this. Why not agree to some long-term fences? You AWA guys claim that no one on the West wants any of those East bases or upgrade slots, so why resist fences to assure the East pilots that that's the case? Why will you and the rest of the AWA MEC not even humor the AAA MEC with the possibility of discussing a fence agreement to resolve these issues? You're watching your company devolve into chaos and there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that the East pilots will work towards a joint contract with the current integrated list, so don't you believe it's ultimately in your pilot group's best interest to sit down with the East and try to work out a solution? Put your ego aside and think pragmatically. That's what your job is in that position.

No turbo I am not managemet, I am a sitting AWA ALPA rep!! There are other choices as well for representation. Now I know you guys don't have the horse power to get iit done with an in house union but did you ever consider teamsters??

WD.

So let me get this straight WD. You suggest that Colgan/Skywest vote down ALPA, go back to what we have, which is nothing, wait a year and attempt to get teamseters?

Why don't you quit your job, come over to Colgan/Skywest and get that started.

I'm goin with ALPA!

Latest resources

Back