• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan 3407 Down in Buffalo

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I too am wondering why it would pitch up first.

I think there is more to the story than just "ice brought them down"

also, see these pics, if they landed bottom first (for lack of a better term), why is the gear so pristine?

I believe they landed inverted, flat, facing the other direction

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/15/buffalo.plane.crash/index.html#cnnSTCPhoto

I was thinking the same thing about the MLG in the photos, but then why is the tail in such perfect condition?

What would be considered a nominal speed in this config?

Don't know...seems okay to me based on my experience in other types but I don't know the Q-400.

I have ridden on many of the Dash 8 variants. I did my time as a turboprop guy and never flew any of the RJ's...but I feel better when I walk up to a Dash than when I walk up to a CRJ or ERJ. Fracking thing is built like a tank and they look right.

What would be considered a nominal speed in this config?

I don't know about a Q400, but in a -100/200/300 that is way slower than when you would normally drop the gear... The gear horn goes off at 130 Kts so long as the power levers aren't at takeoff. Still a ways off from stall, mind you, but it is slower than normal.

I've thought about the scenarios above that state that the power lever position is the only factor that caused the accident and I just don't see how that would work. From what I've seen in the NTSB briefings, the power application followed the rapid pitch and was nearly simultaneous to the stick shaker.

I'm not rated on the Q400, I've never even set foot on one, but every other aircraft I've flown we've trained for that exact scenario and the aircraft never had a violent pitch up to the point of stall and then entered a spin before the pilot could correct just because the power went from idle to full.

I'm not saying that it is impossible, it just doesn't seem probable. And I'm stuck on this idea that they entered the spin because of the slow speed at which they impacted the ground even though the aircraft had a steep nose down pitch and full power and a very high descent rate.

I've been throwing around some ideas:

Sudden weight shift in the cargo area?
Catastrophic failure of the elevator controls?
Extremely fast trim runaway (highly improbable)?
Some weird reaction to the ice?

What can cause the Q400 to pitch up so rapidly that it enters a stall?

I've thought about the scenarios above that state that the power lever position is the only factor that caused the accident and I just don't see how that would work. From what I've seen in the NTSB briefings, the power application followed the rapid pitch and was nearly simultaneous to the stick shaker.

I'm not rated on the Q400, I've never even set foot on one, but every other aircraft I've flown we've trained for that exact scenario and the aircraft never had a violent pitch up to the point of stall and then entered a spin before the pilot could correct just because the power went from idle to full.

I'm not saying that it is impossible, it just doesn't seem probable. And I'm stuck on this idea that they entered the spin because of the slow speed at which they impacted the ground even though the aircraft had a steep nose down pitch and full power and a very high descent rate.

I've been throwing around some ideas:

Sudden weight shift in the cargo area?
Catastrophic failure of the elevator controls?
Extremely fast trim runaway (highly improbable)?
Some weird reaction to the ice?

What can cause the Q400 to pitch up so rapidly that it enters a stall?

Not sure if this has been talked about, but the Dash 8 is known at times to have the Trim Freeze up. It hasn't happen to me, but I have had a few Captain's talking about being in some really good icing conditions and having the Trim Freeze up.

Just thought I would throw that out there. Like I said it has never happened to me personally. Maybe some that experienced it can chime in.

Last edited:
There was some questions related to when the stick shaker went off, auto pilot knocked off, and we had the nose down turn, what would the pilot have done? Did he rapidly pull back at that point somehow leading to the flat type spin that seems to be the way it went in.
Another thing is the switch that increases airspeed in ice and the 134. Is this right or should it have been more by the 20 knots mentioned. I thought the briefer did an excellent job of not putting the crew out there while explaining what is going on. While the media does not get it right, the people they get there by this point are usually the more educated aviation press while initially you have people just trying to fill some air..

Latest resources

Back