Colgan 3407 Down in Buffalo

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
God Bless. Prayers to the families and all of you at Colgan. RIP

CNN had a pilot on last night that sounded like he knew what the hell was going on.

When the Reported asked about fuel on board and he said with the weather they might have been carrying 4-5k pounds the reporter thought that was way too much gas. Jeeez...

Sometimes it hard to sit back and listen to these idiots speak of nothing they know about. And its even worse to watch them disagree with someone that they have on that knows there sh$t.

Prayers for the crew and company

My heart sank when I heard about this this morning. I flew at Colgan for 4 years, 2002-2006. Great group of pilots and FAs. My prayers are with you all.

I read about this and it reminds me of Eagle 4184 in Roselawn in '94.

Those are probably total times in which case I'd say it wasn't an experienced crew by any stretch.

True, I believe the NTSB will really be looking hard at Total Time in Type.

Does Colgan have Green on Green rules?

Lord give comfort to the families.

Just saw one guy on CNN that talked like he was a cop and sounded pretty credible with his description.

Plane was evidently going nearly the opposite direction from what he was accustomed to. Plane was also in a left bank with a nose attitude. Apparently this became steeper because the house that was struck was fairly close to the other two and no significant damage to the other two homes.

He also said the engines sounded extremely odd. Have a prop that has gone into beta would attribute to all the symptoms. Listened to the ATC tape as well. Creepy. One second they there and the next, gone.

People must have great eyes to know how a plane is coming down at night at probably 200kts with 3 miles of visibility.

People must have great eyes to know how a plane is coming down at night at probably 200kts with 3 miles of visibility.

According to CNN it was 3mph of visibility which would give them plenty of time as everything would be in extreme slow motion.

We get this caution light all the time in Decent in the Dash 8 300 when the bleeds go from LP to HP on a flight idle decent. Boots are still effective so no problem existed in the Dash 8/300 series. If you want the caution light to go out, just have to add alittle power.

Common for the -100/-200 series also. Rare to have it stay on after the valves cycled. If it did, it was written up.

deHavilland published several tailplane icing bulletins for the Dash-8 series in the mid-1990's after NASA's research used the DHC-6 (remember those videos in Recurrent?)

After the Eagle ATR Roselawn crash in 1994 (we're you at PDT then Surf?), deHavilland published a bulletin to operate in icing conditions with the boots cycling continuously (fast mode). I don't know if that applied to the Q400. I've been gone from PDT for 5 years and don't know if that is still SOP there.

The Dash-8 carries ice very well and not only can you see it, you can hear it as it builds, disrupting the normal slipstream airflow around the cockpit and on the wiperblades. If we carried ice on approach, we always bumped the ref speeds up, as recommended for tailplane icing.

This BUF crash is heartbreaking. My condolences to the families of the crew and pax and their loved ones.

T8

Latest resources

Back