• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan 3047 NEW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Uh..the guy got his type in the Q400 in Nov. of 2008. He probably did not have much more than 100 hours in it.

Sorry, what I meant was this reporter calling the Saab340 a jet. The reporter seemed to emphasize that the Captain had been flying a jet before transitioning to a turboprop.

For the aircraft's weight with fuel and pax, considering icing conditions present, and that the reference speed increase switch was selected ON, was 134 kts an appropriate speed? Q400 pilots only.

I'm not a member of the media.

With 45 pax, landing fuel around 5500 pounds, and a guess of 45 bags the aircraft weight would have been around 55500-56000 pounds. The ref speed, flaps 15, about 121 kias.

Does the Q-400 have auto-throttles, and if so, are they commonly used on approach?

No, the Q400 is FADEC, however. If you shove the levers up in the detent you're getting NTOP(normal takeoff power). If you go past the detent you can get up to 125%, an extra 35% boost for a limited time.

As for your "hot wing jets"...I don't know what types the AA and USAir flights were but when the flaps are extended on every piece of Boeing Equipment I'm familiar with it is no longer a hot wing. The leading edge flaps open up areas on the bottom of the wing and any bleed air would just rush out into the airstream.quote]

Belchfire,

The 727's leading edge slats and inboard leading edge flaps are heated (when wing A/I selected ON) through telescoping tubes regardless of position (extended or retracted), along with a portion of the fixed wing adjacent to the leading edge flaps. Heating the LEF's and wing prevents ingestion of ice by the aft-mounted engines.

The 737's leading edge slats (with the exception of the outboard slats on the 737 NG variants) are heated as well through the same type of telescoping tube mechanism regardless of position (extended or retracted). The leading edge flaps are unheated regardless of position.

When selected ON, the 757's wing heat provides hot air to three midwing slats on each wing regardless of slat position (extended or retracted).

Not sure about the 707 or 747 though.

Cheers,

Felix

Well...do you have a hot wing on the 190 if the flaps are out? Heck, I don't even know of those things have any LEDs!

yes it has LED's. I have never seen anything saying that you don't have heat on the 170/190 when the flaps are extended so I assume heat is available with flaps/slats. Also flaps and slats are electric not hyd like most aircraft.

FWIW the 170/190 has no anti-ice on the tail (vert or horz stab). Just wings, engine, windshield and probes (smart probes ect.)

Last edited:
With 45 pax, landing fuel around 5500 pounds, and a guess of 45 bags the aircraft weight would have been around 55500-56000 pounds. The ref speed, flaps 15, about 121 kias.

That either sounds like a non-ice (open bug) ref speed for flaps 15 or a ref ice speed (solid bug) for flaps 35. It does not sound right for flaps 15 solid bug.

BTW, your earlier post was excellent.

135 at flaps 5 (gear up or down) would be uncomfortably slow in the Q400 in any conditions, let along icing.

Vfe flaps 5 and Vlo 200 kias
Vfe flaps 10 181 kias
Vfe flaps 15 172 kias
Vfe flaps 35 158 kias

A technique some Q400 pilots advocate is to use the next lowest speed for each configuration change, so flaps 5 and gear down around 180, flaps 15 around 160, and flaps 35 around ref ice (solid bug).

Okay, thanks...interesting, wonder about the DC-9/MD-80 variants.

DC-9's anti-ice the wings but the horizantal tailplane may have one of several options. Some aircraft have a manual tail deice button which takes the heat away from the wings and puts it on the tail only on demand. SOP was to actuate it every 15 minutes in icing and again before final approach. Others automatically switched to the tail for a time when the deice was turned Off. Still others always activated the tail at predetermined intervals. Different airline customers ordered what they wanted and Douglas would provide it.

Latest resources

Back