• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan 3047 NEW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I haven’t posted here for sometime, but normally try to catch the cross talk a couple of times a week, and reading over the many, many, many, post covering this tragic invent.
( My condolences to families)

Now without trying to sound like speculation and correct me if I’m wrong. But know one has commented on the possibility of a mechanical failure of some kind. Maybe in the control or deice systems.

I haven’t flown any Dash 8 series aircraft and wouldn’t know of any fault indicators for the deice system. That’s for someone driving them.

But from personal experience I’ve had anti-ice AOA and wing heat failures along with wing and tail deice boots failures. Without any cockpit indications pertaining to the fault in some of the jets and turboprops I’ve operated in icing conditions.

I mean really just because you activate a deice system can you SEE the tail?

FWIW the 170/190 has no anti-ice on the tail (vert or horz stab). Just wings, engine, windshield and probes (smart probes ect.)

I once landed in ORD in a E-170 after flying briefly through "moderate" icing between 6000-4000 feet on the arrival. When the rampers parked us they asked us to come down and see the airplane.

It was COVERD in ice. The WHOLE airplane. And on all the leading edges of the tail were those scary-looking "fingers" of ice, protruding about 2 in. out. It was quite possibly the scariest ice I've ever seen. It sure didn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about not having heat back there on the tail.

Obviously someone reported it as moderate, but nobody else ever contradicted the report. Since at the time all we could see were the windshield wipers and they didn't have ice like everywhere else, we didn't either. It was quite the eye-opening experience about how ice can be decieving and hard to report accurately.

Does the Q400 have an aural warning when the autopilot disconnects or just a red light?
I know the -100 and -200 models did not have an aural warning like every other aircraft I've flown has.
When they got stick shaker and the autopilot kicked off, was the PF fully aware that he was hand flying?

Well atleast Colgan joined ALPA. ALPA sent Piedmont's Safety team to help in the crash investiagtion. Atleast this crew now has some legal representation.

If ALPA hadn't been voted in, do you think anyone would have been there to defend this crews action and help on there side of the investiation?

That either sounds like a non-ice (open bug) ref speed for flaps 15 or a ref ice speed (solid bug) for flaps 35. It does not sound right for flaps 15 solid bug.

BTW, your earlier post was excellent."

Thank you, and sorry for leaving out you West Coast and Midwest turboprop carriers, ya'll fly through some hell as well.

As for the bugged ref, 121 would be a flap 15, no ice increment. I haven't heard if the +20 ice increment was used.

Yes, the 400 has an aural warning

Latest resources

Back