Coast Guard looking for more aviators

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bengalsfan,

I'm not sure why you would want to, in fact the question alone makes you suspect at best :).....but yeah they are still putting guys into the Falcon even though that airframe is going away in the next few years. It is being replaced by the HC-144A (CASA 235-300M)

CK130
Why does the CG more often than not buy foreign aircraft?

Because the people who run acquisitions in DC are a bunch of true amateurs who are only interested in doing things on the super cheap.

FJ

I'm current in the C-130. Can I go over from the Navy Reserves and keep my O-4 paycheck?:cool:

Oh yeah - I'm 37 too.

Exactly which services fixed wing pilots are they trying to get? With an age restriction of 31, the USCG has ruled out any AF pilots (10 year commitment after wings) or Navy/USMC Aviators (8 year commitment after wings) to apply for the program. So basically the only ones left are the Army fixed wing pilots.

One target audience is the Army Warrant Officer, fixed or helo. There you have a highly experienced pilot force, and plenty have enough time without hitting the age restrictions or 10 yr AD limit. Zip them from CWO2 or CWO3 to O-2, hey there's a big promotion right off the bat.

three answers

Fins up: No. You will have to accept O-2. As for the age, maybe you could get a waiver but that is really pushing it.

TXDanno: Warrant officers come into the Coast Guard as O-1s not O-2s.

As a DCA myself and as a former instructor at the school house, I can honestly say that "highly experienced" is subjective. I have seen hot shot (enter any service here) pilots that have come over to the Coast Guard and fail miserably unable to conduct our mission. I have also seen some that came over and could not handle the different (more relaxed) atmosphere and go back to their services and excel. But more often than not, the prior experience does help pilots quickly learn the new mission.

I'd have to be a stinkin', dirty, sweathog JG ?!?! Forget it. hehe

How strict are the vision requirements? Do they give you any gurantee of a flight slot or anything? I graduate in May and would like to fly in the Coast Guard, but thought my vision would always stop me from doing that.

TO: The DCA program is for guys who have completed military flight training with the other services and are interested in joining the CG.

It sounds like you are in college, so if you want to join the CG you would need to talk to a recruiter and apply to Officer Candidate School (OCS). OCS is an approx 4 month school to learn how to be military and tell time in 24 hours instead of 12.

During OCS you could apply for flight school, and you might get it, or you might end up in some other CG billet as an O-1 (Ensign). You could continue to apply for flight training as long as you cared to if you didn't get in right away, until you hit the max age (which you never know, it could be waived too). You would have an obligated service commitment from OCS, which I'd guess is 5 years, it could be more, could be less, I don't know. (I retired almost 6 years ago and I was an Academy puke. I'm sure things have changed since I left.)

You should also realize that a pilot in the military is an officer first (lots of paperwork and other BS to put up with, you will be expected to do other, non flying duties) and doesn't involve as much actual flight time as you might wish. There are certainly benefits and it is a rewarding career, but remember the SERVICE aspect of being in a military service.

Anyway, if you are interested in OCS, you should make sure you get your entrance physical from a CG flight surgeon and make sure that you are physically qualified for flight training if that is the only type of job in the CG you would be happy with. That way you would know going in if you were eligible for flight training, and any waivers for vision (which the CG is fairly lenient with when the need pilots) that you might need would have been granted in advance.

There is still a chance that you wouldn't ever get flight training (even with all the physical aspects taken care of) because it is a competitive process that you can't control (other than to perform well in OCS and at whatever job you end up in at your initial unit) and might take several attempts to get through. There is some risk of never getting into flight training and having to serve as ship board officer until your commitment is up.

It is definitely worth pursuing, but make sure you get with a current, fairly junior CG pilot who has gone that route to get their ideas on the whole process.

Good luck.

FJ

Coast Guard Reserves - Aviation.

Word on the street is that USCGR aviation may be in the works (once again) but this time on a much more limited scale. It will be stood up to augment the FITU at NAS Pensacola. The idea behind the reserves is that it will free up the AD component to do missions that require higher currency than IP's at P-cola. This movement along with the DCA program are ways for the CG to ease the pain of the current flight crew staffing shortage.

The CG "O" guys have requested this with the "R" guys.... just waiting on the funding side of it to come through.

Anybody else got the gouge on this... Whats the latest?

Latest resources

Back