Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ck130

Greetings All,

Just a heads up for those of you that might be interested, the Coast Guard is holding another selection board for direct commission aviators.

For helo bubbas you need at least 500 hours and for fixed wingers you need at least 1000 hours in something other than training aircraft.

Fixed wing guys, especially C-130's, will probably be in high demand on this next board.

The board should be some time in early spring so don't take too long to think it over, the application package can take a little while to get together.

Good Luck,

CK130

Website says not over the age 31 at time of selection.

Anyone know it they will issue a waiver on the 20/50 uncorrectable vision requirement?

I wish they had reserve aviation units

If they did they wouldn't need any direct commission aviators. Same thing with bonuses.

As far as medicals, the CG will waive just about any requirement when they need bodies. That said, they may not waive something on the initial application, but again, if they don't get enough applicants they might. The only way to know for sure is to apply, both for the program and for the waiver.

Go to a CG flight surgeon somewhere and get the flight physical from them. If they are willing to waive the eyesight you would know up front. It might take some time to work through the paperwork, so you would need to do it ASAP. If you miss one board deadline, get your ducks in a row for the next one.

I went through Navy flight school in '84 (as a CG officer) and back then the Navy wouldn't let pilots in who had less than 20/20. The CG did. So several of my CG classmates went through Navy flight training wearing glasses.

Bottom line, if they need bodies, they will waive just about anything.

Good luck.

FJ

Does the Coast Guard have an interocular pressure ("puff of air test") standard? If so, anybody known to have waivers on that?

A buddy of mine in high school was being recruited heavily by the USCGA; he was a 5-time state champion in swimming and wanted to be a Rescue Swimmer. Unfortunately, he was medically DQ'd because he had been diagnosed with asthma as a 4-year old...despite being the state high school champion in the one mile freestyle.

The point is do not admit to anything, let them find it. They do not check your previous medical records.

I'm a former C-130 guy. Now doing C-12s in Corpus. I've always been interested in this but last summer was told I'm too old for a waiver (I'll be 35 next month). Do you see them being that desperate? And what's this about being knocked down to an
O-2? Is that still in effect?

Safesix,

The Coast Guard needs pilots for all our platforms, but the Herc is probably hurting the most right now so if anyone would get some slack on waivers it would be a Herc driver. Bottomline apply and see how it goes.

As for the O-2 thing that is still a fact of life. The reason being our promotion boards cannot consider anything but CG fitreps (OERs). In the past folks that came in as O-3s came up for the O-4 promotion board and only had a handfull of OERs to look at and ended up getting past over and booted out. To avoid all that the Coast Guard makes you an 0-2 so you have enough time to build a Coast Guard service record so you will compete well for O-4 and beyond.

Hope this helps...

Good Luck,

CK130

Latest resources

Back