• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Coast Guard looking for more aviators

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Serious question here. I am currently enrolled working twords finishing my BS in Aviation Science. I have 4K TT with 1800 Turbojet PIC. I live in FL and am always in PIE seeing all the USCG guys flying around.

Here is my hanger, I am 27, married, working twords a family and am a homeowner (not easy to sell in this market). My reason for looking into the USCG is simply desire to serve and secondly for stability (yes I know I will never be rich).

I look forward to all responses. This is very serious for me. Over the next 10-15 years I do not want to be looking for a new job every couple years as it appears the markets are starting to do some deep corrections.

Thanks in advance.

Avrat

In 2003, the recruiter asked me what my degree was? I said, "biology", and he said, "next". He said engineering degree is a must. He also asked me, "How are your teeth?" I now know that was BS. Go for it dude, you'll more than likely be by some beach.

I look forward to all responses. This is very serious for me. Over the next 10-15 years I do not want to be looking for a new job every couple years as it appears the markets are starting to do some deep corrections.

Thanks in advance.

Avrat
You are looking in the wrong place if you are looking for stability. We move every four years and you aren't the one that picks where you go. At first it is even worse. You will go to OCS for 17 weeks in Conneticut, then if you compete well you will go to flight school in Pensacola, FL for about 1 1/2 years but depending on what aircraft you get picked to fly you may only spend about half that time in Pcola and the rest in Corpus Christi Texas.

If you don't get picked for flight school out of OCS right away, you will do about two years somewhere before you do the whole flight school thing. So stable is not in the cards. At least as far as your location goes.

Financially, you will be relatively stable but with all the moves it can get expensive quickly. If you are worried about the housing market, think about buying and selling a house every few years regardless of the housing market or renting your entire time in service. So that isn't going to change for you.

You say you don't want to look for a job every few years. Well, you won't have to look for a job but you will certainly change jobs every few years. The promotion rates are pretty good until about the 9th year when you start competing for O-4. The selection rate was about 80% this year. So 20% have one more chance for promotion before they need to start looking for other jobs. You aren't guaranteed a job in the military. They can still say good bye to you.

One of the big kickers is your age. I can't recall the age limit for flight training but you are getting close.

It is a great job but stability is not one of its high points. Good luck in whatever you choose.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great responses. For some clarification, the moves every few years will be fine and I understand that at some point I may not be flying. I would prefer to keep doing what I love, which is flying, yet as long as I know I have a job, health insurance etc. that will be the important thing.

For some more background. My only experience in aviation is in corporate/executive. Depending on what happens with the ecomony and the financial future expansion opportunity's could start to get sparse.

I had the chance to go military rite out of high school, I passed it up but now that I am more grown up and mature and understand the word "foresight".

Keep the great comments coming, both good and bad.

Avrat

I hate to say this because it sounds arrogant but I feel it is relevant in this case. The Coast Guard, or any military service is not really the place to go just to know you have a job or health insurance especially as an officer. You will be asked to do more than you ever expected and if you are not focused on being a leader and giving 100% they will eat your lunch.

It is of course at the end of the day just a job, but it isn't one to go into lightly especially as an aviator since you will be committed to serving 11 years of your life whether you like the job or not.

And finally, I once again have to readdress the age issue. Your age is fine for going to OCS but going to flight school may be out of the picture if you don't do it soon.

Good luck.

I understand the reasoning given, however I think they'd attract a lot more highly qualified guys if they'd lose the paycut/demotion requirement and find a way to screen for LCDR using all prior history and performance.

All,

I appreciate the insight. I have not received anything on my original question as of yet.

Are there any special recruitment programs for experienced pilots that will allow guys like me to go to the USCG.

Thanks,

Avrat

Actually, this is the first question you have asked. Seriously, go back and look.

To answer this question, the answer is no. You have nothing special in your resume that would warrant a special program. You have a better chance of getting flight school out of OCS than most but that is about it.

If you have experience as a military pilot there is a program but that is it. Sorry.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Latest resources

Back