• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CO Express "on-time" but lands at WRONG airport

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Looking at the flightaware page it looks like that they landed on runway 15. Sad, the ILS should have saved them. Rumor has it that it was a stand-up crew; maybe we can use this to get rid of 4 CDOs in a row.

I would love to see somebody try and explain their way out of that...

Fed: "Did you follow the Glide path?"

Pilot: "Yes"

Fed: "The actual Glide path?"

Pilot: "Well....no. The virtual Glide path"

Fed: "Huh? How did you do that?"

Pilot" Well, I used the FMS VNAV"

Fed: "The advisory VNAV?"

Pilot: "Ummm yeah I guess"

Fed: "So instead of using the published, surveyed, and certified glide path you used a make believe one that is advisory only??? Let's just throw another 91.13 violation on there while we're at it"

Not for nothing- but just because you CRJ FMS VNAV is "advisory only" does not mean all VNAVs are advisory.

Also, it stands to reason that if they had an FMS flight plan in the box, it was probably to the correct airport. They wouldn't have had a snowflake to an airport not on the flight plan...

Bad visuals on visuals are probably one of the highest risk scenarios we can face. A number of heavies in the past have tried to land at Hawthorne airport instead of 25L at LAX, as they popped out from the marine layer and saw a shiny bright ALS and HIRLS... Just 6000 ft too short. Luckily nobody actually took the approach all the way to the threshold!

Given the way the regulation is written, and what it says you must do (without specifically stipulating how you must do it), it wouldn't be as hard as you might think.

BoilerUP is correct.

You would not be able to use this regulation as a basis for violation if crew didn't utilize an ILS during a visual approach. As stated in another post, most companies require this in their FOM, but it is not required by regulation.

Any halfway decent lawyer could get their client out of this. I've been into court and have seen aviation lawyers get their clients out of much worse.

For that matter, the FOM is not enforceable by the FAA either (unless a reg is tied to a procedure). For example, most companies prohibit consuming alcohol within 12 hours of duty. As you know, the FAA's number is 8. If a crewmember is drinking 10 hours before a flight, there is nothing the FAA can do.

I still don't understand why everybody is arguing against something that will HELP YOU??? It's another backup....another way to make sure you're in the right place. Instead folks want to argue how a good lawyer could possibly get them out of a screw up. Instead of us non-lawyer types trying to figure out intent of a reg and legaleeze why not just tune in the ILS. It's much easier than a court battle

Latest resources

Back