Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BHopper88

Plane lands right on schedule - at wrong airport

CARLYSS, La. (AP) - A Continental Express commuter flight from Houston to Lake Charles, La., landed at the wrong airport, touching down roughly eight miles from its destination at an airfield that usually sees only cropdusters.

The 48-passenger plane with 17 passengers, two pilots and a flight attendant aboard landed safely at Southland Field-West Calcasieu Airport in Carlyss shortly after 10 p.m. Thursday.

A spokesman for the airline and an official with the Carlyss airport both said the bright lights at the recently renovated rural airfield probably contributed to the confusion.

Continental Express spokesman Bruce Kink added that the number for the runway the pilot was bound for at Lake Charles was 33 - the same number as the runway at Carlyss. Also, he said, the destinations have similar compass headings. "I think they're different by, like, one degree,'' he said.

Kink said a thorough investigation was under way but that preliminary indications were the plane was on its final approach, descending from clouds. The runway at the airport in Carlyss is not usually lit up at night, but an electrical contractor was doing a check on the lights, so it was brightly illuminated Thursday night.

Meanwhile, the pilot of the commuter plane was in contact with the Lake Charles tower. "The tower asked them if they had visual of the running lights of the airport. They said they did,'' Kink said.

He said pilots' instruments indicate the number of the runway being approached - in this case it was 33.

Kink said the two pilots, who were not identified, were automatically "decertified'' and will not be able to fly again until after the investigation is complete. They likely will have to undergo more training and tests.

Thursday night, passengers on the plane had to wait for a bus to take them from Carlyss to Lake Charles.

"We're out in the middle of nowhere. It probably took them longer to drive ... to Lake Charles than it would have taken to fly from Houston to Lake Charles,'' said Joe Palermo, a member of the board that runs the airport at Carlyss.

At this point in one's flying career he or she should not be landing at the wrong airport, GPS equipped or not. But then again, the guys up front were probably flying all day, on extended schedule, and most likely didn't have a descent meal all day either.

So nine months, you were a captain?

Yeah.

That's quick.

Almost scary, isn't it? ...

This is not quite Sully [Capt. Chesley Sullenberger] -- nine months and you're a captain.

Exactly. My story wasn't unique at that time. Because of that great, rapid expansion that was going on at Colgan at that time, a lot of my classmates were upgrading. If they got hired with about the amount of time that I had -- I think I got hired at about 1,500 hours' total time -- and upgraded right around 2,000 hours. I had 500 hours in the airplane as a first officer before I upgraded to captain. And they actually wanted to upgrade me before that. I went and took ground school and did simulator training, if I remember right, then went back and flew the line as a first officer and then upgraded to captain right as I hit 500 hours, went back for training, and completed my training as captain. ...

But there were friends of mine that I was in training with in the initial class that were hired with about the same amount of time that I had, and once they got those 500 hours they were upgraded; they were upgrading. They were becoming captains, and some of them did it even faster than I did because they were based in a place that flew more, so they built up their time more quickly. They got to 500 hours in seven, eight months instead of my nine months. So that was happening pretty regularly.

So what you have in some cases was a captain and a first officer, the only difference between the two is about 500 hours.

Yeah. ... There's not a very deep well to draw from in terms of experience and knowledge. Absolutely true. One of the first officers that flew with me when I became captain was actually a guy that I was in ground school with in my initial new-hire class. So I have 500-and-some hours. He had 400 and was soon going to upgrade in that airplane. ...

A couple of relatively new guys.

Yeah, we were brand new to the airline game. Nine months in.

Latest resources

Back