• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CO Express "on-time" but lands at WRONG airport

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I still don't understand why everybody is arguing against something that will HELP YOU???

Nobody is arguing against tuning an ILS for vertical guidance on a visual approach.

We're simply saying that there are ways to comply with the requirement of 91.129(e)(2) other than your assertion that the "ILS must be tuned and used" - because that simply isn't true.

Is using an ILS the easiest way? Yes.

But it's not the ONLY way, at least from a regulatory perspective.

Pilots would be better served if they stopped thinking contract language and FARs were "set in stone" and instead started seeing exactly what given language says...and what it doesn't.

Last edited:
I still don't understand why everybody is arguing against something that will HELP YOU??? It's another backup....another way to make sure you're in the right place. Instead folks want to argue how a good lawyer could possibly get them out of a screw up. Instead of us non-lawyer types trying to figure out intent of a reg and legaleeze why not just tune in the ILS. It's much easier than a court battle

asayankee,

No one is arguing against you. Please read the responses carefully and in context. You're confusing two different arguments:

1. You should use the ILS (if available) as a back up for a visual approach. I (and I think everyone else) agrees! This is common sense and basic airmanship.

2. 14 CFR 91 requires that you use the ILS on a visual approach. Wrong. While you should, you don't have to.

I don't think anyone was saying you should forgo tuning in an ILS for backup on a visual approach because the FAA would never win in court. Again, you are combining two different arguments.

Fly safe!

Almost did this myself at night in in 1997 as EMB 120 FO. We let ATC sucker us in for a visual approach in marginal VFR Weather. Approach says airport one o'clock and whatever miles. We look out and see a nice lit up runway oriented in the proper direction. We were turning final and configuring the A/C. Noticed the ADF needle pointing to the left and the the localizer had full scale deflection as well. "Tuned and Identified" saved our asses that night.

Latest resources

Back