co-capt. logging time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Seadogrun

In the past I've gotten type ratings and flew as captain. My most recent type is in an airplane that I will primarily be a right seater that gets to fly every other leg.

How do you all log time like this?

I'm wondering if it's ethecal to log PIC for legs I actually fly?

Type rated? Actually flying? dam right.

In the past I've gotten type ratings and flew as captain. My most recent type is in an airplane that I will primarily be a right seater that gets to fly every other leg.

How do you all log time like this?

I'm wondering if it's ethecal to log PIC for legs I actually fly?
Most companies only accept PIC time if you are actually the aircraft commander. If the other guy is senoir to you and is assigned as PIC then you are not supposed to count your stick time as PIC.

is this a part 91 department? How large? What's the culture like? I'd still be logging that. You're typed and actually flying. It's to the letter of the law.

Most companies only accept PIC time if you are actually the aircraft commander. If the other guy is senoir to you and is assigned as PIC then you are not supposed to count your stick time as PIC.
By regulation....if you are type rated for that aircraft and you are sole manipulator of the controls then you can log PIC

What a specific company wants to see is total different then what is legal to log, and his question is can he log it.

If you are typed, current, and assuming you are held resposible for any "problems" with the Fed's; then log P.I.C.
Manipulating or not, when you get that letter, both pilots now days are held resposible for the flight, so you might as well log the time you are entitled to. Believe me, they will come after both of you.

Your legs are *definitely* loggable as PIC according to the FAA logging regs, as defined by part 61. However, except when you are signing for the aircraft, it definitely can *not* be represented as PIC as defined by Part 1, which is what most employers who require a minimum of turbine PIC specify- namely the person signing for the aircraft (even though the SIC is still held responsible in a 2-person operation). Therefore, just be careful to never misrepresent SIC legs as part 1 PIC time... but by all means log it as part 61 PIC, while highlighting on any application (even if only via a footnote) that it is in accordance with Part 61, not Part 1.

Thanks. Ths is a two aircraft, two crew(yes two aircraft with only two crew total) small part 91 operation.

I did realize the part 1 and part 61 differences, but was wondering if most logged PIC part 1 only or Logged pic under part 61 which seems a little flakey, but don't see a major problem with it.
Thanks for you replies.

We have all type rated PICs in our department and we rotate being captian on trips. We also switch seats every other leg or day, what ever is most convenient on that particuliar trip.

I personally log all of the time in my logbook as PIC. Mainly, to simplify everything. (I don't log the landings unless I am PF, though) I guess if I was ever crazy enough to apply for a 121 job, I would have to go back and break everything out as PIC/ SIC....but hopefully that day will never come.

Cheers-

However, except when you are signing for the aircraft, it definitely can *not* be represented as PIC as defined by Part 1, which is what most employers who require a minimum of turbine PIC specify- namely the person signing for the aircraft...

I always love seeing this. Who "SIGNED" for the aircraft? I guess SWA wants to know. I carry the keys to our aircraft on the same key chain as my house keys. I never "sign" for anything. I get in, light it and point it. Of course at my company, I'm almost always "senior" so I log it all as PIC. SWA can try and prove me wrong, but I hope I never have to give them the chance. Besides the airlines, does anyone really care if you have 3000 or 6000 PIC? Are they really going to do full leg by leg logbook audit?

Latest resources

Back