• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

co-capt. logging time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I keep a second column called "Type 2 PIC" in my logbook software. I log all time like that both as PIC and Type 2 PIC, that way I can easily subtract the difference between the two if required by a potential employer.

In the past I've gotten type ratings and flew as captain. My most recent type is in an airplane that I will primarily be a right seater that gets to fly every other leg.

How do you all log time like this?

I'm wondering if it's ethecal to log PIC for legs I actually fly?

If you have to ask doesn't that answer the question?

If both Pilots are typed then the one dispatched as PIC can log it as well as the one who is the sole manipulator of the flight controls. IE if co-pilot flys all of the legs (and is typed) then both Pilots can log the time as PIC.

I keep a second column called "Type 2 PIC" in my logbook software. I log all time like that both as PIC and Type 2 PIC, that way I can easily subtract the difference between the two if required by a potential employer.

you're joking, right?

I know, signing in the digital age is just an expression... "signed", "acted as PIC", "was final authority responsible for the flight", yada yada, you get the idea. And as has also been pointed out in previous threads, when push comes to shove, anyone can log anything they want in their logbook (I have known pilots who choose to log all time on an IFR flight plan as IMC- whatever) and it's not "illegal" per se. I can go out in a C172 (or for that matter MS Flight Sim) and log it in my Jepp logbook as PIC Concorde or Space Shuttle. It's only a *potential* legal and/or ethical issue if one is representing it as time for the purposes of FAA requirements, and/or to an interviewer or application sheet, which is why if there is a potential issue, it can make sense to clarify the definition of PIC- to avoid being accused or rejected simply because someone thinks you are trying to pull a fast one, even if you are not.

Occasonally the FAA toyed with the idea of aligning the "logging" and "acting" definitions of PIC, but the two are such different definitons and the history of those two very different definitions is so entrenched, that to do so would have created more logging hassles than it would have saved. So the idea has never been seriously pursued, and the two definitions (part 1 and part 61) remain completely distinct.

Who has final authority over the conduct of the flight? Who will the FAA speak with first in the event of an accident or incident? Just because you're the sole manipulator of the controls, doesn't mean your the acting PIC. Log what you want, but unless you've been designated as PIC by whoever in your company has authority to do so (maybe the co-captain for that flight), you should be logging SIC time.

FYI, my company has everyone typed and all the flying is done from the left seat. Regardless of who's flying, the acting PIC is the person listed as such at the time of dispatch.

Seems to me that if I'm in the left seat, sole manipulator, with a type rating, the FAA is going to come after me in the event of an incident, accident, inquiry, even if the other guy in the cockpit has more time and is designated by our insurance as PIC. I'm logging all of my left seat time as PIC and right seat time as "company required SIC". I don't log t/o and landings when I'm right seat and I don't log IMC time over there either. I have a seperate column for PIC turbine so I can drop it down to that figure if my total turbine is ever questioned. Maybe it's overkill, but I think this way, I'd be able to go back and answer how I justified the time I'm putting in the book.

Latest resources

Back