• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CO 737 off runway in DEN

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The 737-300's I flew all had a tendency to develop severe nose wheel shimmy. Sometimes it could get pretty violent.

It was like riding in that "oh so familiar" shopping cart with the one bad wheel.

I don't know if that is something endemic to the -300 (?) or if it was just our Klown Azz outfit screwing up maintenance by making up ridiculous procedures as they went along.

I'm going with the latter....

YKMKR

Last edited:
Can anyone intelligently fill me in on the status of the 737 rudder uncommanded hard-over problem of a few years ago.

I have never really seen much on it after the increased minimum flap speeds were suggested back then.

Thanx,

Boeing 737-300-500
Rudder Pressure Reducer (RPR)
reduces sys A pressure to the rudder PCU which reduces rudder authority by about a third allowing crews more time to respond and recover from unnecessary large rudder deflections. Digital Yaw Damper Coupler activates and deactivates the RPR solenoid. On Takeoff at 1000 feet RA hydraulic pressure to the rudder is reduced to 1000 psi. Sys A hydraulic pressure returns to normal 3000 psi during approach at 700 feet RA.
If the RPR fails to change the sys A pressure to normal at 700 feet the sys A flight control LOW PRESSURE light will illuminate, the standby hydraulic system will activate, the standby rudder SOV opens and the standby rudder PCU is pressurized.
Sys A hydraulic pressure to the rudder remains at or returns to normal 3000 PSI with loss of sys B hydraulic pressure, loss of both RA altimeters, or with engine failure.

Boeing 737-700
"Each set of rudder pedals is connected by cables to the main and standby rudder
PCUs through the rudder feel and centering unit. The main rudder PCU is powered
by hydraulic system A and B. At speeds above approximately 135 knots, hydraulic
system A pressure to the rudder PCU is reduced.
This limits full rudder authority
in-flight after takeoff and before landing. The standby rudder PCU is powered by
the standby hydraulic system. The standby hydraulic system is provided as a
backup if system A and/or B pressure is lost. It can be operated manually through
the flight control switches or automatically"

This site also has some good info and links.
http://www.b737.org.uk/rudder.htm

Maybe...just maybe, the NTSB will interview the CA or FO, find out one or both slept in the crew lounge about a week prior, the company did nothing about it, let/made them work the next day. This resulted in long term fatigue / degradtion in performance issues and while not causal to the accident, leads to huge fine due to negligence by the company, and significant pressure from the media and the public against the company which leads to significant contractual improvements. Too much to ask? Am I grasping at straws here trying to tie these incidents together? Just a thought...Good luck to all involved with the accident...great work by all involved for no fatalities, in spite of the idiots reaching for their bags on the way out.

Last edited:
Quote:
Federal investigators said late Monday that an unusual rattling sound can be heard on the cockpit recorder of a Continental Airlines flight shortly before it veered off a runway.

Could have been the shaking of the dice before they rolled em.

Last edited:
Below is a comment made by one of you experts.
Moron. Morons. All of them. STFU.
Scary, if that imbecile really does teach students to fly. Another 20 years and I won't fly as a pax anymore.

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=106332&catid=339
cheifpilot wrote:
Ok this is rare for me to comment but, to all the other Pilots out there. After V1 you continue!!!!!!!!!!!! hopefully you will get to V2 and then rotate. Stoping after passing V1 (the decision speed for all non pilots) is sure to end in a major accident. Yes I teach Pilots to fly and I would have my students ass, if they reject or attempt to reject take-off after V1. I dont care if the engine falls off, you still continue. Even if both powerplants fail you still attempt the take off and put it down somewhere you determine safe within the "captian" breifing prior to take off roll.
12/21/2008 10:24 AM PST on 9news.com

Man the Cheif Pilots at Virtual Airlines are getting tougher and tougher.........

Maybe...just maybe, the NTSB will interview the CA or FO, find out one or both slept in the crew lounge about a week prior, the company did nothing about it, let/made them work the next day.

Anyone who actually did that shouldn't be allowed to be an airline pilot. I have absolutely no sympathy for ANYONE who sleeps in a crew room. If we had more guys who were actually captains instead of people who wear four stripes, we wouldn't be in the mess we are in. If a guy is such a spineless pu$$y that he can't watch out for his crew, I have no use for him - now or in the future.

Boeing 737-300-500
Rudder Pressure Reducer (RPR)
reduces sys A pressure to the rudder PCU which reduces rudder authority by about a third allowing crews more time to respond and recover from unnecessary large rudder deflections. Digital Yaw Damper Coupler activates and deactivates the RPR solenoid. On Takeoff at 1000 feet RA hydraulic pressure to the rudder is reduced to 1000 psi. Sys A hydraulic pressure returns to normal 3000 psi during approach at 700 feet RA.
If the RPR fails to change the sys A pressure to normal at 700 feet the sys A flight control LOW PRESSURE light will illuminate, the standby hydraulic system will activate, the standby rudder SOV opens and the standby rudder PCU is pressurized.
Sys A hydraulic pressure to the rudder remains at or returns to normal 3000 PSI with loss of sys B hydraulic pressure, loss of both RA altimeters, or with engine failure.

Boeing 737-700
"Each set of rudder pedals is connected by cables to the main and standby rudder
PCUs through the rudder feel and centering unit. The main rudder PCU is powered
by hydraulic system A and B. At speeds above approximately 135 knots, hydraulic
system A pressure to the rudder PCU is reduced.This limits full rudder authority
in-flight after takeoff and before landing. The standby rudder PCU is powered by
the standby hydraulic system. The standby hydraulic system is provided as a
backup if system A and/or B pressure is lost. It can be operated manually through
the flight control switches or automatically"

This site also has some good info and links.
http://www.b737.org.uk/rudder.htm

Thank you, interesting stuff.

I noticed that the rudder is still pretty much full left as it sits at the crash site. Probably means nothing but it got me thinking.

DC

Maybe...just maybe, the NTSB will interview the CA or FO, find out one or both slept in the crew lounge about a week prior, the company did nothing about it, let/made them work the next day. This resulted in long term fatigue / degradtion in performance issues and while not causal to the accident, leads to huge fine due to negligence by the company, and significant pressure from the media and the public against the company which leads to significant contractual improvements. Too much to ask? Am I grasping at straws here trying to tie these incidents together? Just a thought...Good luck to all involved with the accident...great work by all involved for no fatalities, in spite of the idiots reaching for their bags on the way out.

Know the Captain, used to be my copilot. My guess is strong crosswind, plane weathervaned, lost control and noise and rattling were runway lights being taken out prior to going into the ravine. Hope thats not the case but..... They just finished a long 4 day trip and this was their last leg. Hopefully I am wrong!

Latest resources

Back