• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CO 737 off runway in DEN

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DENVER -- A Continental Airlines jet taking off from Denver International Airport Saturday night veered off the runway, plunging into a ravine and catching fire, forcing 112 passengers and crew members to evacuate on emergency slides and then flee uphill to safety.

The passengers were treated and triaged at the airport and 38 people were transported to the hospital, said Denver International Airport manager of aviation Kim Day. Ten people were transported to Denver Health, nine people to University of Colorado Hospital, four people to Swedish Medical Center and 15 to Aurora Medical Center.

There were no deaths involved and the majority of the injuries were minor, the airport said. Fourteen people have moderate injuries and the rest have minor injuries, said Denver Health spokesman Scott Bookman. University of Colorado Hospital said two of its patients were initially listed in fair condition but are now listed in critical with fractures.
Continental Flight 1404 was leaving Denver for Houston at 6:18 p.m., when something went wrong, said Laura Brown, spokeswoman for the Federal Aviation Administration.

The sequence of the events remains unclear but airport officials said the Boeing 737 had traveled 2,000 feet down the runway when it suddenly veered 200 feet from Runway 34 Right and down a ravine.

Just wondering...

At DIA 2000' down the runway is not very far. If they were using MAX power, with an engine failure, that's a pretty good yaw and pretty close to VMCG, (73 drivers?) and if runway is slippery at all, with strong winds, I can see getting off the runway very easily.

Great job by the ENTIRE crew getting everyone out safely...

Well atleast "2drinksbehind" seemed to be happy at the outcome! Pretty incredible.. They were probably going over 100 and no one died.. Guess that's the important part..
fwiw..

Anyone want to bet CAL will start a furlough of 10 pilots as a result of this hull loss?

So a plane goes off the runway and the firefighters call it "out of a movie" and "surreal"? What the hole did they expect?

I found it surreal that they were so shocked by an actual mishap scene...maybe they should hire a few guys off the flight deck/NASCAR crash crews or even the fire dept. I mean if this minor mishap is "surreal" what will they do when there is real carnage and the smell of burning bodies? Can you imagine hearing that from your surgeon? "Wow...the blood and stuff was really gross...everyone in the OR hurled...we were all just so grossed out...I think we stopped the bleeding though"

Last edited:
I call a burning aircraft something a little different than a "minor mishap". But then again, I have been accused of being overly sensitive.

If the man had said "it was like a nightmare" or "something out of a bad dream" would you feel more comfortable?

I think the term surreal is absolutely appropriate and indicates no lack of professionalism whatsoever.

How many burning aircraft have you witnessed?

I, thankfully, have never witnessed any, and I bet these fella's hadn't either.

If I had witnessed such a thing...well, I might describe it as "surreal".

As a matter of fact, this post is taking on a somewhat surreal tone right now...and that's for real.

Really.

YKMKR

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back