• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cmr Situation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree %100. I have been saying the same thing. Comair is basically in the wrong place at the wrong time on this one. That is why I am asking you, what does "you made your bed, you lie in it" mean or have to do with us parking planes? You said it and it resembles other sentiments such as "Comair screwed themselves" I occasionally hear. It is just something people parrot. I don't know why it grates on me. I guess it would be like Delta announcing 1,000 furloughs and me saying, "they did it to themselves." It just doesn't make sense.

Comair was not in the wrong place at the wrong time. Well, maybe that is part of it. I would say that a useless strike did more damage to them than anything else. Management doesn't like strikes, and Comair pilots overplayed their hand with regard to leverage, and got spanked-hard. That is called making your own bed. Add to the fact they they jumped on their own RJ wagon and overbought--with the help of Delta. Way to many 50 seaters. ASA and skywest will be in the same predicament shortly, although to a lesser degree initially, then to a greater degree as 76 seaters go away.

On a personal level, the MEC behind the scenes held hands with their RJDC buddies. That effectively declared war on the Delta pilots, especially initially as the lawsuit sought to abrogate section 1 of the Delta PWA. That is called making your own bed. When your company is reducing fleets, and very few carriers are hiring, you really don't want to make enemies of the one who is.

gain, what does that really mean? "Someone else's flying?" Are you going to start flying the RJ's? ... are you going to "take them back?" It's just flying that is going away. You didn't want it, there was a market for it, so others did it. You still don't want it, the market for that flying is going away and so RJs are being parked. Plane and simple.

I want to agree with you. I feel like you take a logical approach to what is happening here. But then you throw out a few of these comments that seem to be inconsistent.

I'm going to assume that you are actually being serious with your questions--as in giving you the benefit of the doubt. Delta pilots own all of the flying performed for Delta--including the Comair flying. The Delta pilots have allowed certain percentages of that flying to be outsourced. That flying is always subject to modification in contractual discussions between the Delta pilots and Delta. So Comair pilots are contract pilots. Many overzealous Comair pilots chose to predicate their living on the chance that the RJ bubble would never burst. Bad idea. The markets are not going away, they are going to be done with larger gauge aircraft, and less frequency. Those that cannot support larger gauge aircraft will be dummied down to less frequency of 50 seat aircraft , or possibly even turboprops. Thus, the shrinkage you are seeing. That is called making your own bed. Some people bet a cereer at a regional--whos existence depends on the particular mood of Delta and its pilots on contract day, low oil price, frivolous lawsuits, etc.

Finally, Comair pilots didn't bet that everyone wouldn't go along with their scheme of making Comair a career airline. Republic came in and undercut, ASA did too, pinnacle, compass. Comair pilots chose not play ball--at least until it was too late. They went it alone with useless strikes, frivolous lawsuits, etc. That is called making your own bed. Now, they are an expensive airline, and cheaper alternatives are out there.

But hey, on the upside, you have a Comair pilots running around triple dog daring anybody to meet him in the sim. That also, is making your own bed.

I have been flying for 13 years and just logged on to this forum. I will lose my job as a Comair pilot when the furloughs are complete or the company is dissolved. I was hoping to find some information or intelligent conversation on the matter.

I guess I'm shocked at what I've read on flightinfo. Aren't we supposed to be "professionals" with whom the public entrusts their lives to arrive safely at their destination? I swear that some of the posts on this site were written by teenie-boppers upset with each other because one called the other a slut on her facebook page or thinks Justin Bieber isn't as cool as the Jonas Brothers. I can tell you one thing -- if I had a way to ascertain who some of the loudmouths on here flew for, I'd NEVER put my family on any plane in their airline's fleet....it would be too risky that they could be the aircraft commander. Yes, "GeneralLee/ScopeoutRJ's" -- I'm talking about guys like you.

We are all pilots and need to support each other. Any pilot with any maturity knows that this industry has much more to do with luck and timing than with skill and competence. You are where you are, to a large degree, because your timing and luck were good or bad. And I walk through the airport and I am instantly judged as inferior simply because of the uniform I wear?

Some people on this website need to grow up. Leave your 757/767 cockpit and go fly a metroliner or aerostar single pilot, or (God forbid) pilot a rotary-wing aircraft. If you survived, it would be a good learning experience and a lesson that bigger iron does not equal a better pilot. We are all pilots. We should all be one brotherhood. Act like it, and show respect and compassion to someone who is trying to support a family knowing they will be without a paycheck in the near future. The people degrading those about to be furloughed trying to provide for their children are the same ones who would be sobbing, sucking their thumb curled up in the fetal position if this were happening to them.
Your points are well taken. You are a man who is down on his luck right now. Many of the people who post on this forum have forgotten the old maxim of " don't kick a man when he is down". Press on, my friend. Don't let the flies spoil your picnic. Take solace in your loved ones. The sun will shine brightly soon...

Puffdriver, Comair is in the wrong place at the wrong time. That's it.

"A useless strike damaged us?...we got spanked hard?" We doubled our size after that. How is that getting spanked hard? The strike caused changes for sure. Delta diversified the regional flying. But this was years ago. With this logic your dog takes a dump on the rug and you would wait 9 years to smack his nose so he clearly gets the message.

Jumping on the "rj bandwagon" has some plausibility. But what should we have done as a regional operator? Would a better business decision have been to keep operating the Brasilia? And if we are just "contractors" then we definitely should have operated all the 50s they would throw our way for as long as possible.

"Delta pilots own all of the flying performed for Delta--including the Comair flying. The Delta pilots have allowed certain percentages of that flying to be outsourced."

What percentages? The percentages as in 100% of the little planes you don't want to fly? Not like 10% of the 777s, and 10% of the 767s, 10% 757s...etc. Why are you bothering with this particular argument? You didn't want the RJs so others took them. The big question is... do you want the C-series? I hope YOU have learned your lesson and won't be giving that away.

I am not the Comair or regional airline apologist. I was a pilot long before my time at Comair and I will be a pilot long after. I just have spent time here so I feel like there are misconceptions about what has taken place here and what the average crew member thinks like. Maybe you haven't met many Comair pilots and the only contact you have are the 1 percenters on here. The average guy who is maybe less than 1/2 seniority or under 45 probably wants Delta to keep their own airplanes. I am not saying that the senior guys want your airplanes either. But, I cant really speak for them. All they know is that they were happy doing what they were doing, their stock kept splitting, the company kept growing, they owned the fuel at CVG and Delta was buying their fuel from Comair (important trivia fact), they were not a "feeder" for Delta, more than 50% or their thru passengers were their own, management had incredible plans for the future.... Fast forward a decade...Delta has bought that same airline and spit them out the other side. It would be hard to say what would have happened to the original Comair otherwise (don't say Independence Air!). But I don't understand why you don't look favorably upon a group that tried to turn this into a decent job. You view us as bottom feeders on one hand, yet resent that we tried to make it better here on the other.

Would you care to lay out hypothetically how the last 20 years should have played out in regards to the Legacy's and the Regionals? (I will save you the trouble and say I agree if you offer some version of Delta flying should be Delta flying therefore, for better or worse that all RJs should have been placed on Delta property and any airline they bought should have been integrated. Or alternatively, ... they should not have bought other airlines and no RJs should exist.) Otherwise, you have a mess that probably looks like what we have now and this discussion is a waste of time.

Puffdriver, Comair is in the wrong place at the wrong time. That's it.

"A useless strike damaged us?...we got spanked hard?" We doubled our size after that. How is that getting spanked hard? The strike caused changes for sure. Delta diversified the regional flying. But this was years ago. With this logic your dog takes a dump on the rug and you would wait 9 years to smack his nose so he clearly gets the message.

Jumping on the "rj bandwagon" has some plausibility. But what should we have done as a regional operator? Would a better business decision have been to keep operating the Brasilia? And if we are just "contractors" then we definitely should have operated all the 50s they would throw our way for as long as possible.

"Delta pilots own all of the flying performed for Delta--including the Comair flying. The Delta pilots have allowed certain percentages of that flying to be outsourced."

What percentages? The percentages as in 100% of the little planes you don't want to fly? Not like 10% of the 777s, and 10% of the 767s, 10% 757s...etc. Why are you bothering with this particular argument? You didn't want the RJs so others took them. The big question is... do you want the C-series? I hope YOU have learned your lesson and won't be giving that away.

I am not the Comair or regional airline apologist. I was a pilot long before my time at Comair and I will be a pilot long after. I just have spent time here so I feel like there are misconceptions about what has taken place here and what the average crew member thinks like. Maybe you haven't met many Comair pilots and the only contact you have are the 1 percenters on here. The average guy who is maybe less than 1/2 seniority or under 45 probably wants Delta to keep their own airplanes. I am not saying that the senior guys want your airplanes either. But, I cant really speak for them. All they know is that they were happy doing what they were doing, their stock kept splitting, the company kept growing, they owned the fuel at CVG and Delta was buying their fuel from Comair (important trivia fact), they were not a "feeder" for Delta, more than 50% or their thru passengers were their own, management had incredible plans for the future.... Fast forward a decade...Delta has bought that same airline and spit them out the other side. It would be hard to say what would have happened to the original Comair otherwise (don't say Independence Air!). But I don't understand why you don't look favorably upon a group that tried to turn this into a decent job. You view us as bottom feeders on one hand, yet resent that we tried to make it better here on the other.

Would you care to lay out hypothetically how the last 20 years should have played out in regards to the Legacy's and the Regionals? (I will save you the trouble and say I agree if you offer some version of Delta flying should be Delta flying therefore, for better or worse that all RJs should have been placed on Delta property and any airline they bought should have been integrated. Or alternatively, ... they should not have bought other airlines and no RJs should exist.) Otherwise, you have a mess that probably looks like what we have now and this discussion is a waste of time.

Our time is done. You started off inquisitive, and I gave you the benefit of the doubt. If you don't or won't see what is happening and the reason it is happening, I can't help you. Keep watching, you'll see. Later.

Comair pilot a contract pilot! I think Delta owns Comair so comair pilots are NOT a contract pilot. Look up the definition.

Dearest Puff,

Delta Inc. owns Comair. Delta Inc. owns Delta Airlines. If one of you is a contract pilot, then both of you are contract pilots.

FYI--Delta Inc. owns the flying. You get what they give you. It's been that way for years! Otherwise, you would be doing 100% of the flying instead of 50%.

Now go do your son's homework. You may learn something useful.

Canis Canem Edit

Last edited:
Dearest Puff,

Delta Inc. owns Comair. Delta Inc. owns Delta Airlines. If one of you is a contract pilot, then both of you are contract pilots.

FYI--Delta Inc. owns the flying. You get what they give you. It's been that way for years! Otherwise, you would be doing 100% of the flying instead of 50%.

Now go do your son's homework. You may learn something useful.

Canis Canem Edit

Nup. "All flying performed by or for the Company or any affiliate will be performed by pilots in accordance with the terms and conditions of this PWA.

That is a quote, huckleberry. You won't find that quote in the Comair contract. The RJDC settled for a reason. Keep trying though.
:bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling:

Leave your 757/767 cockpit and go fly an aerostar or metro single pilot?

I am sorry sir but I would have to say that the guy in the 75 already has been there and done that. I know i have and remember some nights so bad that i followed the plow truck to the runway and sat in position while they cleared a swath.

NBD approaches to mins at 3am and circle to land with 25 knot winds in canada single pilot

Blown motor on a Baron just as I hit the slop on takeoff in icing conditions at 300 feet in a valley

Been there done that didnt die and didnt touch a 121 cockpit until i had over 6000 hrs

What experience does a 400hr gulfstream, atp, or riddle 0 to job in 18 months bring to his regional cockpit? Theory of experience 101???

I would say that a useless strike did more damage to them than anything else.

If I may ask (and this is a general question, not necessarily about Comair or even airline industry in general) what makes a strike (any strike) useful?

Latest resources

Back