• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CJ2 crash @ Santa Monica

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And you also forgot to mention how close those hangars are to the runway.

And the parallel taxiway. Lucky another airplane wasn't taxiing in at the time.

Inadequate separation between the runway and the taxiway is why the GV and the Global are prohibited at SMO. One reason why I'm glad when I get assigned a V/550 instead of the 450 for the week...

I'm not saying anything about anything but,
Several years ago I did circle to 03 due to winds. It's was f'ed up but we did it.

Yeah, they stopped allowing the circle about 2 1/2 years ago...

After the goat rope we got, I wouldn't be surprised if we, and the Gulfstream behind us were the last ones that did it.

The airport itself isn't bad, a little short but not bad. It's the approach and the procedures SoCal uses to wedge traffic into the airport that make it a poor choice for high performance jets.

I hate to be insensitive, but just because somebody did something wrong doesn't mean everybody should be punished. The "close SMO" comments are a little over the top. Some airplanes belong, some don't. Be the PIC and make the call on whether or not your butt belongs there on that particular day but don't make the call for everybody else. I think some folks want the decision to be made for them so they don't have to say "no". KSMO can be used by high performance jet traffic on a regular basis if sound judgement (and pilot skill) are exercised.

Latest resources

Back