Civilian vs. Military

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

aviator4512

I will soon be applying to college, and am hoping for a career flying jets (part 135, frac, or corporate) and am wondering what would be the best way to get there in terms of going military or going to a regular college...I Have gone to private school from 6-10 grades, and am pretty much a B student. I have thought about the military academies and aviation colleges such as embry-riddle, and purdue, but then again I could get a business degree somewhere else. So give me your opinions on what the company's are looking for other then a number of hours and experience.

aviator4512 said:
I will soon be applying to college, and am hoping for a career flying jets (part 135, frac, or corporate) and am wondering what would be the best way to get there in terms of going military or going to a regular college...I Have gone to private school from 6-10 grades, and am pretty much a B student. I have thought about the military academies and aviation colleges such as embry-riddle, and purdue, but then again I could get a business degree somewhere else. So give me your opinions on what the company's are looking for other then a number of hours and experience.

My .02: Go to college and major in something other than aviation. Business would be good. Many people I have flown with in the past have utilized their skills outside of aviation(For example:One ex-accountant still prepares taxes another one is an RN and does per diem work).

As for Mil vs. Civ: Do you like the military? I think commitments are running 10 years for pilots. Great way to go, but if you are just using it as means to an end; 10 years is a long time. Bottom line is that there are many, many career paths in this business. If you go the civilian route, knock out your training as young as possible and be willing to move for the right jobs. This is a rough career to start after you already have a wife and kid.

(Disclaimer: I am just one of thousands of opionated pilots).

(Disclaimer #2: The author acknowledges the phrase, "opionated pilot" is redundant).:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Or go guard/reserves build your flight time and get on with an airline or corporate operator.Then when you retire you will have two checks instead of one.

College degree not required

Remember you do not need a college degree to succeed in the flying business, not required for Army pilots, not require fro civilian flying except about 5 airlines.

Last edited:
pilotyip said:
Remember you do not need a college degree to succeed in business.

whatever you do...don't listen to this advise. you don't need to brush your teeth and take a shower either, but it sure benefits you when dealing with others. i would definitely get a degree and go with your gut on the civ vs mil option. both can be very rewarding.

Aviatior,

First off good luck to you. Make sure you marry into money, trust me on this one.

OK, I am in the Navy (enlisted), and am not a mil pilot. We could debate Military/CIV all day. I have never met a Navy pilot biaatching about his/her job (unless it's a non-flying one). If you don't feel like doing the full time mil thing. Look at the reserves Coast Guard, Navy, or Air Force. I can tell you that after you get the private the GI bill covers 60% of everything else, or if you go to Riddle they pay you 1100 a month for 3 yrs. I've heard some on this site say the GI bill doesn't cover CFI/CFII/MEI this is not true.

I saw this as the most recent post on the page and wanted to add my .02

This is what I would have done, knowing what I know now. Go military for as long as you can flying whatever you can (preferably fixed wing) You never have to worry about benefits, retirement yada yada. If you get in fresh out of college at 22-23 years of age and stay in for 20-30 years, for all intensive purposes your still pretty young when you get out. I wouldn't expect to go for an airline, but get a corporate or frac job that's not age limited. You will never have to worry about finding a job that has benefits or a huge salary because you already have a descent retirement to live on. You won't be filthy rich, but your sort of have a "base salary" to start with. Then pick a job that most suits you, and you never have to worry about whether it pays benefits, 401k or whatever. Look for a job, and they're out there, that has a good schedule whereas you can still enjoy life, but still do what you love.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get in the military or the guard to fly and will always feel like I missed out. Do whatever makes you happy, but that's what I'd have done.
Good Luck

Civilian or Military?

As a 20+ year veteran I would caution you regarding the military route.

The military is clearly NOT for everyone. Think about the length of the
commitment (as mentioned by someone previously), what type of
flying you qualify for in the military (I'm thinking B student may not even
qualify for flight school depending on branch of service), the structure
of the military (very rigid), the deployments, and the very real possibility
you could get your #ss shot off!

College and civilian flight school may be the way to go.

Regardless, flying is inherently dangerous whether you decide either way.

As an added bonus, military flying often entails some moron with a
shoulder fired missile, anti-aircraft gun or assault rifle trying to 'assist' you in
bringing your aircraft to FL00... without the use of flaps, brakes, engines,
wings, landing gear... niceties like that.

Last edited:
semperfido said:
whatever you do...don't listen to this advise. you don't need to brush your teeth and take a shower either, but it sure benefits you when dealing with others.

Wow, that's the best response I've read yet on the subject.

Latest resources

Back