Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Civilian perspective on USN carrier ops

COD = "Curling the hair of Dumb reporters" I love it! (actually true)

Many boat guys make fun of COD guys.. but it still is one of the ... if not.. the hardest planes to land on the boat.

SW

I think there are quite a few Prowler guys that'd disagree with you...... and they do it at night.

I think there are quite a few Prowler guys that'd disagree with you...... and they do it at night.

Agreed. Instant torque on hand is a lot different than waiting for a turbojet to spool up. Especially when you're closing on the ramp 60-70 knots faster.

Many boat guys make fun of COD guys.. but it still is one of the ... if not.. the hardest planes to land on the boat.

SW

COD guys have the life. I'm sure there must be a downfall somewhere. I just never saw it! I would actually volunteer to go on cruise again if I could be a COD guy!

Not trying to start a flame war. Just stating what I have heard. I have also heard the EA-6B is one of the hardest as well. I am sure nights suck.

They are both quite different though. I will say this. I initially CQ'd in the T-45A and that was definitely a challenge. Once I finished, I was feeling pretty dam good about myself... then I got to fly the COD... my confidence dwindled fast. I couldn't fly that bird worth cr@p. Many don't realize the huge amount of yaw instability due to the close proximity of the engines to the fuselage. Also throw in the pitchfeel system which causes the nose to be very pitch sensitive. To give you an example... everytime you add power(on the ball-in most cases), you must trim/push nose down to counter pitchfeel to keep onspeed AND add just enough right rudder to counter the tendancy of nose to yaw to the left. Its the equivalent of driving a big dump truck.

QOL is great. Can't complain. The only real downfall is the lack of opportunity for progression above making command. For example... a COD guy has never made CAG, Admiral, etc.

COD Command capability

Are you sure about that?? I could have sworn that I ran into a COD 07 back in early 90's.

Last edited:
I find that hard to believe. Back then many C2 guys had flown many other airframes. Now a days, more are pure C2 guys.

SW

Day time only and mostly straight ins? Hawkeyes dude!! Probably tough in the Prowler with the crazy AOA but you still have two huge advantages: visibility and wingspan. Try flying blind for 1/2 the approach turn with your only visual coming from the right seater looking through the ditching hatch to spot the ship. Good times.

Latest resources

Back