Citation Encore Vs Lear 35

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pin727

Need some help, got offered two jobs one with an encore and the other with a lear, same money, same flying, which is a better plane to fly?
Thanks.

Wrong question Pin....

the question is:

"...what is the better company to work for...?"

'it 'aint about the plane'

Unless that's what is important, in which case the Lear will be much more fun to fly. A straight-wing Citation is, well a straight-wing Citation.

The Lear is like a 74 Porshe 911, fun to drive but NO creature comforts of any kind.
The Citation is like a 2005 Honda Accord, comfy, clean, lotsa gagets to play with, but kinda vanilla. and it probably wont have that funky "Lear Jet" smell.

but the real answer is what UltraRunner said - which is the better company?

Ultimately the company is the deciding factor, but looking strictly at just the airplanes, you will have much more fun in the Lear. I'm a bit biased, but hey at least I'm not bored. The comparison to a 74' Porsche 911 is accurate. Old school, no-frills fun.

These guys are correct, go with the better company. If both companies were equal, don't count out that Encore. Cessna went to town on that Encore, bolting a pair of PRatts on the back of that smoke wagon. That Encore will out climb that lear under any conditions. The lear climbs great through the 20s, then the 731s begins to taper off. Those P&Ws are derated and have tons more power to give. T/O N1s are in the high 80s if that tells you anything. Where are all the Encore drivers????? It's also a true 440kts airplane, so it might even be faster than that lear as well. Keep in mind the Encore is going to be much more technicalogically advanced, and you want to get EFIS experience, as that is what you will most likey be flying for the remainder of your career, so if both companies are about the same, that Encore is going to be the better choice. If you are looking for fun, that Encore won't let you down.

Hawker's right, except the Encore isn't faster than the lear. The lear does 460 to 470, and the Encore tops out at 440. Climbs like a homesick angel though, The only airplane I know of that will outclimb it is a 20 series lear. Just a coupla days ago, I made it to FL 230 in about 5 minutes. Never got slower than 230 in the climb. That thing will SHOOT up.

"The Lear is like a 74 Porshe 911, fun to drive but NO creature comforts of any kind.
The Citation is like a 2005 Honda Accord, comfy, clean, lotsa gagets to play with, but kinda vanilla. and it probably wont have that funky "Lear Jet" smell."

Depends-2005 LR 40/45XR or 25 year old LR31/35? Big difference between the two. A 2005 Porsche 911 has XM radio, heated/ergonomic seats, all wheel drive, and a killer sound system.

ultrarunner said:
Wrong question Pin....

the question is:

"...what is the better company to work for...?"

and what is the flight dept like? what is their culture like? which company has the best long term prospects? which dept do you see yourself fitting into better? and how does it all fit with your own long term plans?

dig a little deeper.

pin727 said:
Need some help, got offered two jobs one with an encore and the other with a lear, same money, same flying, which is a better plane to fly?
Thanks.

not quite sure what you mean by this. FYI, the last Lear 35 rolled off the assembly line in 1993 or 1994ish......while the Encore came out in 1999 or 2000....

If you want "EFIS experience" and other stuff on your resume, you should go Encore

with that said, you should go to the best COMPANY

If Exxon-Mobile flight department wanted to pay me $100,000 to fly a C-90, or Acme Fly-By-Night Charter in south florida wanted to pay me $125,000 to fly a Hawker, I would be wearing Exxon colors....

but that is just me

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back