• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Citation down @ VNY?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Frank's been through multiple emergencies after V1 before.

31 years of wide body experience will do that to a guy.

One of the few remaining good people in this industry, Frank opened doors to strangers, and I was one of them. He was instrumental in my transition from military to civilian and helped my father for his transition from airline to corporate. He was a good friend and a mentor. He will be missed.

I've flown with Capt. Frank in the past on a few occasions. Let me tell ya, if that airplane could have been saved, Capt. Frank was the one man who would have saved it. A very humble man and a great pilot. May they rest in peace.

That was my point in case I was misunderstood. IF the door was open, + an engine was gone + additional airframe damage, I do not believe anyone could have flown it out. Just a horrible deal. I would not disrespect the crew like that.

I have heard of them opening before on Citations and other Cessna designs, but this is the worst I have heard of.

Small Jet Crash in VNY

Small Jet Crash in Los Angeles Kills 2

By DAISY NGUYEN, Associated Press Writer
Saturday, January 13, 2007

(01-13) 01:42 PST Los Angeles (AP) --
Federal authorities were scouring the wreckage of a small jet crash to determine what caused it to go down near a suburban airport, killing two people aboard. Several witnesses said a nose compartment door was open as the plane lifted off.
Moments after the twin-engine Cessna Citation lifted off Friday morning from Van Nuys Airport in the San Fernando Valley, the pilot radioed the tower with a request to return, the National Transportation Safety Board said.
The business jet, which was heading to Long Beach to pick up two passengers and continue to Prescott, Ariz., was cleared to land but it never made it.
A tower controller noticed the plane "wobble" as it turned around, then it crashed about a half mile north of the airport and within 100 feet of several homes, said NTSB investigator Howard Plagens. No nearby structures appeared to be damaged.
The jet was carrying a full load of 3,400 pounds of fuel and burst into flames, said Assistant Fire Chief Tim Manning. Firefighters sprayed foam and quickly put out the fire, he said.
Steve Hofmann, who lives several doors from the accident site, said he heard a "loud thunderclap" and then saw the plane go down.
"I immediately ran down to see what had happened and whether there were any survivors," Hofmann said. "I heard an engine winding down ... then the fuel tanks exploded, and I pretty much knew that no one survived that."
The two people aboard were crew members of Sun Quest Executive Air Charter, said Joe Miller, a dispatcher with Sun Quest Executive Air Charter, which operated the flight. He declined to comment on their identities, and the county coroner's office has not positively identified the victims.
Witness Steve Purwin, a corporate jet pilot, said the plane's left-hand nose baggage door was "wide open" as it took off.
The jet was veering side to side, with its nose high at a low speed, he said.
"He was right on the verge of stall," Purwin said.
Van Nuys is the busiest general aviation airport in the nation, with an average of nearly 500,000 takeoffs and landings annually. The 730-acre facility is owned by the city's Los Angeles World Airports department and is used by private, corporate, charter, flight instruction and maintenance operations. The airport is often used by entertainment industry figures.
On a single day in 1986, seven people were killed in two crashes while landing at Van Nuys. A plane carrying six people including a film and commercial director went down two hours after a crash killed a boyfriend of game show hostess Vanna White.
In 2000, a jet owned by actor Jim Carrey, who wasn't aboard, and a twin-engine turboprop operated by Sun Quest clipped each other on approach to Van Nuys but both landed safely.

The guy who jumped out was probably just going outside to clean the engines out and lost his footing.

I'll tell you what you snot nosed douch*bag...from one that has buried 5 close friends and brothers from within this aviation community in the last 6 years, and NEVER having buried one in a car fatality, this is very tough to take. Lets remember that this is a dangerous profession and we as a pilot community instill a confidence among the public and comments like that, whether mocking a over-dramatized media report or not are EXTREMELY inappropriate. The public comes to these boards and reads this crap too. To have one pilot turned against another is ridiculous. Especially since most of us on this board have more time copying weather than you have total time. We need to stand together, mourn for the loss, figure out what happened and how to prevent it next time. You're job is to pass the respect you've given others on to your students, not cracking a wisea*s joke at the cost of 2 highly respected and qualified pilots.

I thought that "Guests" couldn't get on to read anymore without a login?

I think his comment was out of line, but it was meant as a poke to the idiotic media. Give the guy a little slack, I'm sure he won't open his mouth and insert foot anytime soon.

God bless the families of the two pilots.

Yeah, there'd be a lot less drama if you'd all just let it go. Wouldn't that look professional? Take the high road.

And I also doubt that the public at large are paying 10 bucks these days to come and watch us hurl insults at each other.

Somehow you've let this shift the focus away from the real matter at hand. Let's remember what's important: 2 people are dead.

Yeah, there'd be a lot less drama if you'd all just let it go. Wouldn't that look professional? Take the high road.

And I also doubt that the public at large are paying 10 bucks these days to come and watch us hurl insults at each other.

Somehow you've let this shift the focus away from the real matter at hand. Let's remember what's important: 2 people are dead.

Latest resources

Back