Citation down @ VNY?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
News reports 2 bodies found

Fox news reported the plane was a Citation Jet and that firefighters have identified 2 bodies at the scene.

Might have been N77215?

CJ1 down at VNY

Found this on Flightaware.com:

A jet has crashed on takeoff from KVNY (Van Nuys, CA). Local television coverage from helicopters shows that the fire has been contained.

The Associated Press is reporting the aircraft is Cessna 525 en route to Long Beach. FlightAware shows N77215 is a 1996 Cessna 525 with a scheduled flight from KVNY to KLGB. N77215 is owned by Moonchild Aviation in Los Angeles. The aircraft had a proposed departure time of 10:30am PST for a 15 minute flight to Long Beach and a second flight plan with an 11:45am PST flight to Prescott, AZ.

At least two individuals were found dead in the aircraft and a report from VNY tower indicates that the flight plan filed with the FAA was that two people were onboard the aircraft.

An unconfirmed report from local news asserts that a door opened on the aircraft and debris from the aircraft was injested by one of the engines.

Developing story.

Eyewitness on CNN reported he saw someone jump out of the plane at about 40ft. above the ground and then the plane crashed on top of him????

Eyewitness on CNN reported he saw someone jump out of the plane at about 40ft. above the ground and then the plane crashed on top of him????

:smash:

Oh boy...they interviewed someone from a trailer park again. "I saw that alien tornado almost eat half the trees and all the trailers."

I don't buy a pilot (one of two onboard) jumping for their lives at 40 feet. I would believe cargo from the nose coming out before impact though.

Oh yeah, give that eyewitness a drug test. :nuts:

:smash:

Oh boy...they interviewed someone from a trailer park again. "I saw that alien tornado almost eat half the trees and all the trailers."

I don't buy a pilot (one of two onboard) jumping for their lives at 40 feet. I would believe cargo from the nose coming out before impact though.

Oh yeah, give that eyewitness a drug test. :nuts:

I too was about to make a trailer park comment about the witness, and then thought about it. This is farfetched, but could it have been the pax door that was open, and that one of the pilots went back to try to close it, and fell out? I know it's extrememly far-fetched, and very premature. But if the pilots had reported an open door, who knows? Stranger things have happened.

I am waiting for some witness to comment that the "engine was sputtering". I've already heard one TV commentator state that it was "heroic" that the pilots managed to miss the nearby houses.

I guess I should apologize for speculating, but the "pilot jumping out" statement piqued my curiosity.

The first thing I should have stated is that I offer condolences to the families and friends of the victims. Godspeed.

Latest resources

Back